Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trilbowler

Topper

Vendor
1st run of the New "Trilbowler" ( pronounced Trill -be- ola)

Me ( minus the Goatee!) _ I know, I know, I think I must Grow it back!

trilbowler.jpg

Crown:
crown.jpg

Front:
front.jpg

Left:
left.jpg

Right:
right.jpg

Back:
back.jpg

So the front looks similar to a fedora/trilby crown as one walks towards, but when i walk away looks just like a bowler :D

I will be making them in Black Fur Felt with hunting pad inside for comfort.( Grey one was my initial piece, Classic Steed from the Avengers time!).

Jerekson

One Too Many
Wow!

That is too cool! Did you come up with this idea yourself?

It's actually kind of comical looking, at first glance.

Awesome work!

Topper

Vendor
Thanks,

There may have been similar designs in history, though the name Trilbowler is I believe unique to me! :)

I am pushing it (the black version) as a new "semi-formal" wear for Black-Tie events.

The Homburg or the Cambridge bowler were the only hats in history, apart from the fedora/trilby that can be worn with overcoat with black tie that look any good. Unfortunately both these styles are not popluar any more.

So I decided to launch a new range of (semi) formal hats by, Ascot Top Hats Ltd. I have spoken about them before on the lounge, so though it was about time a showed a photo.

The Grey ( or brown) or even black can also be used for day-wear, not just black-tie. It really is a universal hat that can be worn to work or evening events!

Pip-pip

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Personally, this is one of those hats I'd have to see on my own head first before I knew if I liked it. It looks cool, the idea is neat, but I'm not sure my face would be right with it above deck.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How about center dent, w/no side dents? N0, wait...howa about slightly tighter pinch in front? H-m-m-m-m. Naw, leave just as it is. Looks fine. Call it a Scrooge brim.

dean

Topper

Vendor
deanglen said:
How about center dent, w/no side dents? N0, wait...howa about slightly tighter pinch in front? H-m-m-m-m. Naw, leave just as it is. Looks fine. Call it a Scrooge brim.

dean

Can do most styles, merely an adaption of the crown. Without side dents would be a more Homburg style crown, hence what i would call a "Hombowler" :D

With the tighter pinch is just as easy just a different block to do it on. Though I prefer a thicker pince for formal style myself.

The hat would depend on people head shape, and have to be increased in height for those with taller craniums. Which may bring the shape more like the older taller bowlers.

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
Topper said:
The Homburg or the Cambridge bowler were the only hats in history, apart from the fedora/trilby that can be worn with overcoat with black tie that look any good. Unfortunately both these styles are not popluar any more.

uh, what about the top hat?

I've worn both a top hat and homburg to formal events. I own a bowler but haven't worn it yet. Personally, I'm glad they're not popular - it allows me to distinguish myself from the crowd.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
That is rather interesting indeed Topper. Formal, yet is has some street sense to it. Personally I tend to shy away from too stingy of a brim (even my Stetson bowler has an usually wider brim than normal), but I'm quite sure this will have a considerable cult following in style. I tend to like the shade of a wider brim, but that is just my personal taste. I like what you have come up with, it is a fairly original concept. Best wishes to you and your venture.:eusa_clap

Cheers!

Dan

Topper

Vendor
Shanghailander said:
uh, what about the top hat?

I've worn both a top hat and homburg to formal events. I own a bowler but haven't worn it yet. Personally, I'm glad they're not popular - it allows me to distinguish myself from the crowd.

Top hat only goes with tail coats ( i.e. Morning Dress or White Tie) , not black tie jacket. Neither does the standard bowler go with Black Tie , as bowler is normal Day/city wear or riding wear. But the Formal Cambridge Bowler can be used.

This style brings it out as rigid shell for semi formal wear. But at the same time is useabel during the day with a standard suit.

J.B.

Practically Family
I laud your imagination and wish you much success!

Although very clever...

Topper said:
.....the name Trilbowler is I believe unique to me! :) .....Pip-pip
Topper said:
....Without side dents would be a more Homburg style crown, hence what i would call a "Hombowler" :D ...

...I would counsel against using these following monikers in your future millinery concepts due to possible infringements on my designs-to-be... :D

Trilbo-dora (The stylish union of a trilby, bowler, and fedora.)

Pan-do-by (A summer melange of a panama, a fedora, and a derby.)

Bowlah-balldora (This season's delightful new dernier cri look for the lanes -- merging the bowler, the ballcap, and the fedora.)

And lastly...

• the Vizoobra (Co-mingling a tennis visor with an outback lid.)

:)

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
Topper said:
Top hat only goes with tail coats ( i.e. Morning Dress or White Tie) , not black tie jacket.

I am positive I have seen photos of the Royal Family (Charles, and one of his sons) wearing a top hat with a suit (not even black tie).

And of course, any early 19th century painting or photo of a city street will show many wearing a top hat with business dress. The few times I have worn mine with a Chesterfield coat I have garnered numerous compliments.

Topper

Vendor
Will get full dimensions later.

I don' use the word stingy myself. As this is a based on the trilby rather than fedora ( the difference being that a fedora has a wider brim ) . Fedora wearers, such as your goodselves may like a larger brim, but for trilbys this is well withing standard size, so by no means stingy in my opinion ... stretching the brim out would just make it into a fedora, which it is not meant to be. This is meant to have a short brim to be a trilbowler

... Also my face the picture... one has quite large jowls! lol which might distort the appearance - I will take a picture on a model head which should show the hat more clearly. :eek:

The crown height is a short one, but could be extended with deepening the re-blocking process. I like the tip of the crown low, the hat is intended to be a hybrid of a bowler, which most modern ones ( with exception of high bowlers of the early 1900ies and the hight crown of the Cambridge bowler ) are about 5& 1/4 to 5&1/2 crown height.

I am doing a hard stiffened shell, though i potentially can also do a softer shell, but I prefer the harden varient for the formality it presents.

Top hat & Chesterfield coat - yes this works -as one is wearing a long "coat" outside, as such It would be pleasing to the eye. A jacket by itself or even a plain suit does not have the length, hence why wearing a Top Hat with over coat is ok, but when the over coat comes off so would the topper. The shorter crown of the trilbowler in my opinion would go equally well with a suit or a black tie dinner jacket- as with the more common Homburg.

pip-pip
Doug
p.s. Sorry - I cannot comment directly on this boards thread on availability (please PM me if want more information :rolleyes: )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner