Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tropic Thunder

Doh!

One Too Many
A friend of mine used to work at a large chain theater back when Natural Born Killers was playing. A couple had their kids with them to buy tickets and he tried to warn them it had pretty hardcore violence.

Their response? "They've seen worse at home."

(But good on you, Lizzie! I've seen kids in R-rated horror movies. A lot of parents are simply idiots.)

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
So I finally saw the film. Was it great? No. Good? Yes. Definitely the funniest film of the year.

NH

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Anybody who knowingly attends and then proceeds to laugh at this film will certainly ROT IN HELL. :rolleyes:

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Spiffy said:
I went to see it tonight, and it was pretty much terrific.
So that's my two cents.

Also, Danny McBride (the demolitions guy) is from North Carolina (Ashville, I think) and wrote the indie film Foot Fist Way. His role in this is the result of his film being passed around between Will Ferrell and Co for the last couple of years.

Not North Carolina, Statesboro, Georgia.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I (knowingly) went and saw this film and, sure enough, laughed through the whole thing! I haven't laughed like that at a movie since 'Team America'! This is adult entertainment for adults who understand satire and send-up and the language isn't for the sqeamish or faint of heart. But the concept of a movie about making a movie and the ego-centrisim of Hollywood actors is just great, and of course is the purpose for all the over-the-top performances. I got it! lol

If you get it - go see it!

-dixon cannon

P.S. Watch 'Simple Jack' make appearances at Halloween parties all over America come October! No Doubt!

sixsexsix

Practically Family
saw it on tuesday (thank god for $4 movie night!) and loved it. definately the funniest movie i have seen this year. robert downy jr was amazing.

was a little upset that they let in a bunch of annoying high school teenagers who looked not a day over 16 and talked through the whole movie. it's R for a reason!

edit: i just found out it is only 14A in canada

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Edward said:
As I gather, the target of the humour in it is actually those actors who would take on the part of playing a disabled character as a fast-track to an award (those who've seen Extras may also remember Kate Winslet's skewed version of herself saying "I'm doing this for the Oscar - bthe best way to get an Oscar is to play a mental or a nun."). In other words, it appears that the target for the humour is those who would exploit the disabled rather than the disabled persons themselves. Is the word 'retard' used in this context.... in the same way that a racist character might use the 'n' word without the film thereby being racist? I don't know..... I'm not busting to see it, but I'll reserve judgement until I do. While certainly people's sensibilities should, for the most part, be respected, I don't think it's wise to make firm statements one way or another without seeing the film. [huh]

You are exactly right Edward. The purpose of the character 'Simple Jack' and the references to "retard" are about those actor's who think themselves so high-minded that they can portray those with mental disabilities and turn them into "magical" characters and thus teach all of us pedestrians to be as sensitive and understanding as they see themselves. The spoof in TT is about the actors who take on such roles, not the developmentally disabled.

Again, it's an adult film and a comedy for thinking people. Some critics and protestors are just unable to get their heads around such a concept. Perhaps they themselves are victims of arrested development. [huh]

-dixon cannon

arthur

Suspended
Mike in Seattle said:
I guess if you find making fun of the handicapped and metally challenged funny, this would be hilarious...
Oh,and don't leave out midgets.They always crack me up.Stupid movies like this have been making jokes at SOMEBODIES expense since there have been movies.A park district in my area is going to show Breakfast At Tiffanys,but is going to edit out the Mickey Rooney part because it might offend asians.What next should we edit Rochester out of the Jack Benny show.People need to get over it and stop being so retarded.

Feraud

Bartender
Saw it and loved it.
Downey and company are hilarious as they spoof war films like Apocalypse Now, Platoon, Predator, and Academy Award feel-good films.
A certain other actor nearly steals the show. Good old stupid, silly, fun.

Josephine

One Too Many
I saw it a few weekends ago and thought it was hilarious. After I turned to The Husband and said I thought the casting of the Opium Warlord was a bit much. Incredulous, he asked if that was the only issue I had with it! lol

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
i want to see it b/c of downey, jr...and jack black is always crazy...
"i know who I am! I'm the dude playin' the dude disguised as another dude..."
hahahaha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff