Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tropic Thunder

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
My wife says I'm 3/4 retarded and despite that I'm still planning on seeing the movie:D It looks funny and frankly I try not to insert too much evil intent into a comedy. I have a hard time believing that Stiller or the others have a grand scheme to ridicule the handicapped. It appears to be amusing and I will go see it.[huh]

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
handlebar bart said:
My wife says I'm 3/4 retarded and despite that I'm still planning on seeing the movie:D It looks funny and frankly I try not to insert too much evil intent into a comedy. I have a hard time believing that Stiller or the others have a grand scheme to ridicule the handicapped. It appears to be amusing and I will go see it.[huh]

What bothers me after reading the Tim Shriver piece on CNN is the use of word " retarded." (Please don't tell me there are no bad words - just bad intentions- words are used to express intention). They could have made the character Forrest Gump-like without resorting to that insulting and hurtful name. I agree with what seems to be the premise of it. Big name Hollywood actors (like Hanks, Lewis - Daniel Day not Jerry) take roles playing the handicapped and it boosts their careers. I wonder how the many actors and actress who suffer from real handicaps feel when a "normal" person plays that kind of role and then goes on ET to talk about how "they understand what people with disabilities go through...yadda...yadda." They wouldn't have gotten away with using the N-word or the hundreds of other derogatory ways we have of calling people who are different than us.

RIOT

Practically Family
Brian Sheridan said:
What bothers me after reading the Tim Shriver piece on CNN is the use of word " retarded." (Please don't tell me there are no bad words - just bad intentions- words are used to express intention). They could have made the character Forrest Gump-like without resorting to that insulting and hurtful name. I agree with what seems to be the premise of it. Big name Hollywood actors (like Hanks, Lewis - Daniel Day not Jerry) take roles playing the handicapped and it boosts their careers. I wonder how the many actors and actress who suffer from real handicaps feel when a "normal" person plays that kind of role and then goes on ET to talk about how "they understand what people with disabilities go through...yadda...yadda." They wouldn't have gotten away with using the N-word or the hundreds of other derogatory ways we have of calling people who are different than us.

Let's not forget Downey is playing an African American character in this movie. Is that wrong? I don't care, it is part of the comedy, let's just accept it as that. I don't see the point of getting too analytical with this kind of movie.

Josephine

One Too Many
RIOT said:
Let's not forget Downey is playing an African American character in this movie. Is that wrong? I don't care, it is part of the comedy, let's just accept it as that. I don't see the point of getting too analytical with this kind of movie.

Downey's white character is portraying an African American character in the movie that they are making in the movie we are watching. Semantics, but... :D

Doh!

One Too Many
Organized, offended groups rarely know how to use the media. The more they protest films like this (and Last Temptation of Christ and Basic Instinct before it), the more people will want to see them.

This being America, they certainly have the right to protest but should be aware that silence is often golden. By drawing attention to these films, they're actually having the opposite effect: there's a certain percentage of the population who will see the films because of the media attention. I think there's also a bit of "how DARE you tell me not to see this!" attitude. I'm feeling it the more I hear about these Tropic Thunder protestations.

In all honestly, the trailer looked funny to me so I had already planned on seeing it. Even more so now, however -- to see what all the fuss is about.

hargist

One of the Regulars
Good point, Doh, about The Last Temptation of Christ. I grew up Catholic and at the time it came out, I was young and impressionable. I remember the protests and the talk among the church crowd about how sacrilegious it was. I also heard ugly things from people who were close to me about how it was an attack on Jesus because it was made in Hollywood which is run by Jews. I was surprised and very disappointed to hear this because this came from people of whom I had never heard anything like this before and they called themselves Christians. Of course, none of these people who protested the film actually saw it.

It wasn't until I went to film school that I saw the film as part of a class. I dreaded it because in my mind it was taboo; a film that was made by the devil himself. To my pleasant surprise, it was a very good film that, contrary to the people who protested it, did not tear down the faith, but reaffirmed it.

Granted, TT is a comedy and is nothing like Last Temptation, but my lesson learned is to not simply take the protesters' word for it. My understanding is that the use of the word "retard" in the film is a commentary on the film's characters (unflattering). Sometimes offensive language is used to make a point and not used to simply offend.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
I went to see it tonight, and it was pretty much terrific.
So that's my two cents.

Also, Danny McBride (the demolitions guy) is from North Carolina (Ashville, I think) and wrote the indie film Foot Fist Way. His role in this is the result of his film being passed around between Will Ferrell and Co for the last couple of years.

Doh!

One Too Many
Overall, that's what bugs me the most: people who haven't seen something protest it because they "heard" it was offensive. When Last Temptation came out, I saw one of the protestors on the news and when she was asked if she had seen it, replied "I don't have to live in a sewer to know it stinks."

Wonderful logic, that. Why be informed on a topic if you already "know" all about it?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
From just looking at the CNN article about protests-

It's amazing that a film, such as this one, can be made and released
without the producers, and administration having thoroughly consulted/negotiated with the organizations who deal with the intellectually handicapped, etc. over the potential issues.

Maybe the potential PC issues should be sorted out before the production begins.

B
T

Hondo

One Too Many
I’m sorry but I beg to differ you can not compare “Last Temptation of Christ and Basic Instinct” protests with physical or the mentally handicapped individuals, now that’s ridiculous, or hilarious. I take it all those in favor of this film or see no problems, have no knowledge or contact with the handicapped. Ummm not even the folks who work down in mail room?
What would you tell a mildly retarded child who comes home from school crying, saying kids threw stuff, called him/her names, made fun of them just like this movie, what would you tell the broken hearted parents, Lighten up? This stuff still happens all the time, think back when you were in school, even the over weight kids, I am not trying to be hard but I’d like you to intelligently think a moment, I got a sense of humor like the next person. Its awfully tough on these people, the handicapped, all they ask for is respect, and be able to live, work a normal life, even in schools. I am not an expert in this subject, I did work with Special Education as a teacher’s aid in art classes, it was a beautiful rewarding experience, befriend them.
Until you walk in their shoes, feel their pain and joys, you don’t know a thing.
I go back that other movie “FOLKS”, it was awful, yet funny, I laughed along but I felt guilty, having elderly grandparents, we just don’t need cheap laughs at the expense of others, especially the handicapped, I mean why not have some real handicapped actors employed in this film? Then you might not have all these protests.
But NO!!! They are too tough to work, teach, it would be better just to laugh at them as subject matter, intelligent my friends?
Well I hope your money was well spent and you enjoyed it.

Feraud

Bartender
Offensive language, rude behavior, and bullying come from parental guidance, or more specifically a lack of such guidance.

To compare bullying in school, and parental response, with this film is utterly ridiculous.
Tropic Thunder is not for young children and there is little reason to think the use of the word retard (as offensive as it indeed is) should in any way inspire adults to use the word or approve of anyone else using it. Again, it's just a film and not meant to promote any kind of behavior.

Last weekend I saw Step Brothers. It was rude, crude, and hilarious.
It is not for children. Yet parents brought their young children to see it.
There lies the problem...

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Hondo said:
I take it all those in favor of this film or see no problems, have no knowledge or contact with the handicapped. Ummm not even the folks who work down in mail room?
Nope, sorry. I have devoted the last fifteen years of my life to assisting the handicapped, two of my family members are disabled (one physically and one mentally), and one of my best friends for the last thirty years is disabled. The movie in question is an adult comedy, and humor of that nature going to be offensive to someone. Picking and choosing who we are not allowed to include in our humor is patronizing.

When a character in a movie does something stupid, it tells us something about that character, not the personal feelings of the writers, producers, or actors. Should there be no racist characters in movies? Should thieves or spousal abusers never be depicted? In general it is a work of fiction, and more specifically it is a work of humor. If a particular movie is not your cup of tea that is one thing, but to protest a movie because someone, somewhere may be offended by a word that is used in it... jeez.

Edward

Bartender
As I gather, the target of the humour in it is actually those actors who would take on the part of playing a disabled character as a fast-track to an award (those who've seen Extras may also remember Kate Winslet's skewed version of herself saying "I'm doing this for the Oscar - bthe best way to get an Oscar is to play a mental or a nun."). In other words, it appears that the target for the humour is those who would exploit the disabled rather than the disabled persons themselves. Is the word 'retard' used in this context.... in the same way that a racist character might use the 'n' word without the film thereby being racist? I don't know..... I'm not busting to see it, but I'll reserve judgement until I do. While certainly people's sensibilities should, for the most part, be respected, I don't think it's wise to make firm statements one way or another without seeing the film. [huh]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Such language was used on school playgrounds every day of the week when I was a child, and I'd be very surprised to learn that it isn't so used to this day. Children, when out of earshot of teachers, parents, or authority figures are generally rotten hurtful brats regardless of what movies they see or don't see. Every single print of this picture could be burned today, and kids would still throw insensitive insults at each other tomorrow. That's where a nice stiff bit of discipline across the mouth can work wonders -- it worked for my generation, anyway.

I haven't seen the film, but what I've read of it leads me to think that the characters are hardly role models of any sort of adult behavior. And any adult who would pattern themselves after such characters has deeper problems than their choice of movie entertainment.

Feraud hits the point right on the head. A child has no business seeing this film in the first place.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LizzieMaine said:
Feraud hits the point right on the head. A child has no business seeing this film in the first place.
I saw Pineapple Express the other day and was horrified at the amount of LITTLE kids in the crowd with their parents.
The movie was not about Sponge Bob.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Edward said:
As I gather, the target of the humour in it is actually those actors who would take on the part of playing a disabled character as a fast-track to an award (those who've seen Extras may also remember Kate Winslet's skewed version of herself saying "I'm doing this for the Oscar - bthe best way to get an Oscar is to play a mental or a nun."). In other words, it appears that the target for the humour is those who would exploit the disabled rather than the disabled persons themselves. Is the word 'retard' used in this context.... in the same way that a racist character might use the 'n' word without the film thereby being racist?

Bingo!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
flat-top said:
I saw Pineapple Express the other day and was horrified at the amount of LITTLE kids in the crowd with their parents.
The movie was not about Sponge Bob.

I won't sell tickets to families who bring their children to a hard-R film. Period. Most of them around here know better. And I won't admit unaccompanied teens to any R, period. More exhibitors need to take a hard line about such things, since parents today clearly don't want the responsibility.

Feraud

Bartender
LizzieMaine said:
I won't sell tickets to families who bring their children to a hard-R film. Period. Most of them around here know better. And I won't admit unaccompanied teens to any R, period. More exhibitors need to take a hard line about such things, since parents today clearly don't want the responsibility.
Good for you Lizzie! :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessmiller97