Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tropic Thunder

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
Anyone else thinking of seeing this? I havn't made up my mind yet. Looks like it could be funny.

NH

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
i think it will HI-larious....while I understand the concerns about the portrayal of the specially challenged, it seems that it satirizes how actors like Tom Hanks or Dustin Hoffman portray mentally handicapped characters in movies. Also, the movie seems to make fun of everyone...

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I'm going to see it, if only for the Tom Cruise cameo. :p

tom_cruise_tropic_thunder.jpg

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I went to an advance screening of it about two weeks ago. I'll happily post snippets from my spoiler free review.

The best part about this film was not Stiller, Black and Downey Jr (though I do love him). No the best part about this flick...the little people (minor characters). Tom Cruise is the hands down winner but I can't tell you why. You just have to experience it. But also notable are Danny McBride as the explosions obsessed special effects coordinator, or Steve Coogan the limey director who doesn't care for land mines. Even Matthew McConaughey as Tuggernuts's undoubtedly loyal agent steals more show than the headliners. Also, look for cameos from Tobey Maguire, Christine Taylor, Lance Bass, Mickey Rooney and even Jon Voight. I recommend it for the minor characters more than the big guys.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
I'm going to see it, if only for the Tom Cruise cameo. :p
Um... that photo was a bit of a spoiler for me. I guess that will teach me to read movie threads before I actually see the movie in question.

Hondo

One Too Many
Lighten Up?

I wasn't going to add my 2 cents worth but after thinking it over, I agree with Mike, question whether this film is that funny or hilarious.
But its your money to fork out, give to these people and its a free conutry.
Any of you know how hard the handicapped live, or have disabled friends or children? you still think its funny, you think its funny to laugh tease at retard? I once worked with special education children (slow learners, mild retardation) children born this way, some come from terrible accidents, we all know how cruel kids in school treat the retarded, those that have and those that do not have, I am not saying YOU shouldn't see this film, by all means go see it, but as you are watching, think about the real world, then ask yourself was this just a movie, comedy, you spent hard earned money on, was it worth it? Are you not just like those kids who tease, pick on less fortunate by supporting this film? Some higher power gave us brains to treat fellow humans as you would want to be treated, think carefully my friends, that’s all I ask. And then enjoy the movie, laugh.

=Peace & Love=

Mike in Seattle said:
I guess if you find making fun of the handicapped and metally challenged funny, this would be hilarious...

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Pink Dahlia said:
I went to an advance screening of it about two weeks ago. I'll happily post snippets from my spoiler free review.

The best part about this film was not Stiller, Black and Downey Jr (though I do love him). No the best part about this flick...the little people (minor characters). Tom Cruise is the hands down winner but I can't tell you why. You just have to experience it. But also notable are Danny McBride as the explosions obsessed special effects coordinator, or Steve Coogan the limey director who doesn't care for land mines. Even Matthew McConaughey as Tuggernuts's undoubtedly loyal agent steals more show than the headliners. Also, look for cameos from Tobey Maguire, Christine Taylor, Lance Bass, Mickey Rooney and even Jon Voight. I recommend it for the minor characters more than the big guys.

Pink, you've seen the movie? Is there any redemption, hidden message/agenda? I read the reviews and nothing strikes me as 'feel good' about this movie.

I probably wont see it because I can do better with my $10 for the price of the ticket.

I am suprised that Tom 'HOLIER THAN THOU' Cruise has associated himself with this film.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
I think all of these people are doing a fantastic job of advertising the movie by getting people to talk about it. Maybe the producers will cut them a check.

Hondo

One Too Many
There was a film Folks by Tom Selleck & Don Ameche.
It was bad, real bad but I laughed felt guilty about it,
this film could as be that bad,
but its all in taste, whatever please you.

sixsexsix

Practically Family
without wanting to get too political (we don't need yet another thread closure) i would have to say that we live in a hyper-sensitive world, where every other word/film/book/article/etc etc can be construed as offensive (to someone, somewhere). while i do agree the term "retard" is harsh, if film makers were to spend their lives worried about what might offend certain people, great movies would never be made (this is used in the general sense, I am not claiming TT is a great movie). We'd be a generation of adults sitting around watching Disney flicks, romper room, or after-school specials (although even they seem to manage to offend SOMEONE). It's a rated R movie, and they have made no secret about the ideas expressed, so it's not like children or unknowing adults would happen to fall into it (at least while it's in theaters). Sometimes the uber-PC'ness of society irks me.

RIOT

Practically Family
My plan is to see this movie, have a good laugh, exit the theater and thats it. If I took movies like this seriously I would have burnt my copy of 'There's Something About Mary' a long time ago. Anyway, the trailer looked entertaining to me and would definitely go see it.

Feraud

Bartender
RIOT said:
My plan is to see this movie, have a good laugh, exit the theater and thats it. If I took movies like this seriously I would have burnt my copy of 'There's Something About Mary' a long time ago. Anyway, the trailer looked entertaining to me and would definitely go see it.
Exactly. Not to mention Shallow Hal!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR