Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trouser lengthening question

matei

One Too Many
Hello all,

I have a pair of trousers that I really like. They're made from older, heavier wool and the fit and drape is perfect. The only problem is that they're a wee bit shorter than I would like.

The tailor left about 3'' of material hemmed (?) in the inside of the trouser leg. Would I be able to go and have them let out a bit, using this extra material? Will there be a crease like where they were originally folded over?

Thanks!

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
I don't think this should be a problem.

Anytime I've had trousers let down the tailor was able to remove the crease by giving them a good pressing.

The fact that there was an extra 3" of fabric probably enhanced the drape as it added extra weight.

matei

One Too Many
Cool... I was thinking it must be possible, because I've heard of people doing it all the time! They're fairly new (made of old material), so the crease probably hasn't had time to set.

I'll have the tailor add some buttons for braces as well - these trousers are just begging for them. A belt just doesn't look right!

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
'Taking up' trousers

Matei,

I agree with what has been said so far, and would add a recommendation to make sure that your tailor uses good, stiff hemming tape to replace the draping effect of the hem s/he has removed. A good tailor would do that anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner