Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

True Grit!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I'll definitely pop along. I quite like the Coen brothers' stuff.

I still think it's a terrible shame that the financing fell through and they never got to make "To the White Sea". I think it could have been amazing.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I'm a western enthusiast, so this is one I may see sometime in the future. If not in theaters, Netflix maybe. I wonder how similar it'll turn out to be to the original John Wayne film? I know True Grit is based on a novel though.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
The Good said:
I'm a western enthusiast, so this is one I may see sometime in the future. If not in theaters, Netflix maybe. I wonder how similar it'll turn out to be to the original John Wayne film? I know True Grit is based on a novel though.

I read Charles Portis' novel after I'd seen the film a few times (on the big screen when it came out and once or twice on TV afterwards) - I recall that it's a first-person narrative told by the Mattie Ross character in old age, and that the film was pretty close to the original story, with a slightly different ending. Bridges will suffer by comparison to Wayne; everyone else will be superior to the original cast. Although I liked Kim Darby, she had little chemistry with Wayne and most viewers don't care for her portrayal. Glen Campbell was dreadful. Elmer Bernstein's score was very good, highlighting the story without elbowing its way in front of the actors.

Personally, I think it's a big mistake to see a Western, or any big outdoor epic, on DVD, at least the first time you see it. See it on the big screen.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I'm actually looking forward to this. I think they will do the story justice. From what I've heard they are staying closer to the book with the story than they Wayne version. Personally I think Jeff Bridges will be able to hold his own in this one by comparison. I love the Dukes movies but I think this one will be able to stand on it's own.

Cheers!

Dan

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
It will be interesting to see if the remake retains the Mattie Ross character's curious aversion to contractions - which was also in the novel.

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
I'm looking forward to it, but then again I would watch the Coen Brothers paint a fence, so I'm probably not a good judge.

For some reason Tenuki can't keep True Grit and the movie Rooster Cogburn straight. After I watched the trailer I told her Matt Damon was in it and she asked if he was playing the Katharine Hepburn part. lol

I was happy to see the "Fill your Hands" moment in the new trailer. It will be great to see a western on the big screen again.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Terrible?!?

The Coen Brothers' movies are so polarizing - even if you're generally a fan of their work. For example, I really loved A Serious Man, but didn't care for either No Country For Old Men or Burn After Reading.

Feraud

Bartender
Yes I found is mostly blah. In fact once they attempted to convince the main character to pay for the funeral of the guy sleeping with his wife I turned it off. I couldn't imagine the film would redeem itself after this.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I freely admit that one of the reasons I loved the film was that I grew up in the sixties in a Jewish community very much like the one depicted in the film. It was slightly exaggerated for comic effect, but generally scarily accurate. I also liked that it tackled some very serious questions (essentially retelling the Book of Job), but in a hilarious way.

Those wacky Coens... their movies vary so wildly in tone, but they're always interesting (and sometimes downright brilliant). And Roger Deakins is my favorite working cinematographer, so you know True Grit is going to be brilliantly shot...

Feraud

Bartender
Knowing the Coens I realize there is more going on that I picked up on (or obviously didn't) while viewing the film. An additional viewing might be required for this guy. ;)

I enjoyed both No Country for Old Men and Burn After Reading. Those Coens and their polariazing films! [huh] lol

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
So where do you stand on The Hudsucker Proxy?

I liked No Country better than Burn (which I just couldn't get with at all), but I thought it was very overpraised. I thought it interesting, but no masterpiece.

Feraud

Bartender
I've only seen Hudsucker Proxy one time ( I enjoy multiple viewings :) ) and only remember Tim Robbins and Jennifer Jason Leigh are in it! [huh] :eusa_doh:

No Country was definitely better than Burn. Burn After Reading was "o.k." for a Coen bros flick but light years better than the dreck put forth as comedy by mostly everyone else in Hollywood.
No Country to me was a very good meditation on the nature of aging as seen through the eyes of Tommy Lee Jones. His character struggled to keep up with the world he knew had changed. TL Jones knew what was happening and the outcome (if I remember correctly?) but was helpless to stop it. All he could do was follow and pick up the pieces. Loved the voiceover, the casting and the ending! That's good cinema. :)
I'll leave talk of masterpieces to the experts.

Sorry to derail the thread!! lol

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
The one thing about the Coen Brothers is that the manage to, after making a dud or two, bring out a hit with the next film. I think they do their best work with period pieces though.

Cheers!

Dan

Edward

Bartender
No country I haven't seen - I greatly enjoyed Burn... though. The highlight of the latter for me was George Clooney, who I think is all too often lazily cast in 'leading man hearthrob' type roles that are far beneath his capability as an actor.

Hudsucker is pure genius, start to finish.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I was looking forward to Burn, but it just didn't work at all for me. But that's how it goes with the Coens. My personal responses:

Loved: Blood Simple, Miller's Crossing, Barton Fink, The Hudsucker Proxy, Fargo, O Brother Where Art Thou, A Serious Man

Didn't like: Raising Arizona, Burn After Reading

Indifferent: The Big Lebowski (I really need to see it again to try and understand its massive cult), Intolerable Cruelty, No Country For Old Men

Haven't seen yet: The Man Who Wasn't There, The Ladykillers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner