Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

True Grit - the Dude redo the Duke

barrowjh

One Too Many
Jeff Bridges

I believe Jeff Bridges is a really great actor, have been very impressed with him in every movie he's acted in (that I have seen). In his prime, when he was working more often, I looked for his movies. So, I will definitely remain optimistic until we can see the results; no reason to doubt his ability to deliver the character demanded by the directors. This thread is supposed to be about the hats-

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
I caught 1995's "Wild Bill" last night on TV and really enjoyed Jeff Bridges' portrayal of Hickock. Though packed with stars, the film as a whole was middling. Bridges not only captured the essence of Hickock's personality, but based on the photos I've seen of the man, he also looked the part--the mustache, long hair, and the hat. Now, THAT'S a HAT!. You want period-accurate? You got it.

I like some of John Wayne's films, but Jeff Bridges on his worst day is far the better actor and will surely do a fine job with Rooster Cogburn. Even so, the Duke having defined the film persona of Rooster, comparisons are inevitable, and many will find a problem with anyone else in that role. With the Coen Bros. directing, it'll probably be a good film. Whatever the outcome, I'll be watching the hats.

CircuitRider

One of the Regulars
AlterEgo said:
I caught 1995's "Wild Bill" last night on TV and really enjoyed Jeff Bridges' portrayal of Hickock. Though packed with stars, the film as a whole was middling. Bridges not only captured the essence of Hickock's personality, but based on the photos I've seen of the man, he also looked the part--the mustache, long hair, and the hat. Now, THAT'S a HAT!. You want period-accurate? You got it.

I like some of John Wayne's films, but Jeff Bridges on his worst day is far the better actor and will surely do a fine job with Rooster Cogburn. Even so, the Duke having defined the film persona of Rooster, comparisons are inevitable, and many will find a problem with anyone else in that role. With the Coen Bros. directing, it'll probably be a good film. Whatever the outcome, I'll be watching the hats.

Ditto! I watched it also. Hat looked like some sort of Tom Mix. Liked the way he had it tapered on one side. Love to have one, being only 5'8 I would probably look top heavy! He sure didn't like his hat being touched. His expression when the guy smashed his his hat lying on the bar...priceless!!!:)

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
At the risk of coming across as a know-it-all, I am a bit of a history buff and am particularly familiar with James Butler Hickok. In 1861, seeking a quiet place to recover from a bear attack, he went to Rock Creek, NE. Instead, he got into a quarrel with settlers and killed three of them! But he was exonerated on grounds of self-defense. Did you know he scouted for Lt. Col. Geo. A Custer? As marshal of Abilene, KS, Wild Bill killed a gambler and, by mistake, a special policeman.

There are quite a few photos of this interesting character, though most are probably AFTER he became famous, for obvious reasons. He died at 39--still a young man--so it's virtually impossible to determine his age in the pics and thus when they were taken and the point at which he adopted his now famous, signature hat.

Here's a mystery I'd love to solve:

In 1872, Wild Bill co-starred in the play Scouts of the Prairies, in which the leading role was played by William Frederick "Buffalo Bill" Cody--his very first venture into what was to be a long career in show business. Wild Bill stayed with him and the show troupe touring the East but soon went back West, where he was famously shot in the Deadwood saloon only four years later.

Though both Bills were Western frontiersmen, Union scouts, and made their names, at least initially, as excellent marksmen, Wild Bill was nine years senior, and had much more experience on the business end of a gun fighting outlaws and Indians in the West. In contrast, Buffalo Bill, who says he got his nickname from shooting 4000 Buffalos in 18 months, saw the business end of the popular-but-dying West. By 1883, he was into show business full time, having formed a traveling "Wild West Circus" that proved wildly successful both in the East and Europe and starred Annie Oakley and many of the day's most exciting performers.

Ever see photos of the two men? Hard to tell them apart--same long hair, same mustache, same hat, even its brim similarly off-kilter. Is the similarity of their nicknames just coincidence? I'm not saying Buffalo Bill was altogether fake--he did have a authentic Western background and several skirmishes with hostile Indians--but my theory is that when he met the older Wild Bill co-starring in the play, he saw the mass appeal of a genuine shoot-em-up, fighting cowboy, and then copied his look and persona as his own for the rest of his show business career.

Wild Bill may have made the wrong career move, for he was gunned down in 1876 at the relatively young age of 39. Buffalo Bill, on the other hand, continued to perform until 1917, when he died of natural causes at the ripe old age of 71.

Hey Alter,

I, too am a history buff, particularly Wild West and Civil War eras. I enjoy reading about many of the Western characters including the Bills, Custer,
Earps and Clantons, and Billy the Kid, James brothers, etc. Frequently, the real stories are much more interesting and intriguing than the glorified Hollywood screen versions.

I can see what you're saying about Buffalo Bill being "mentored" by Wild Bill,
he took the right trail because he didn't tick anyone off and lived to be a ripe old age (at least for a frontiersman). On the other hand, Wyatt Earp made a
lot of enemies and managed to outlive most of his contemporaries. Interesting concepts.

I saw a Buffalo Bill movie recently with Paul Newman that was more of a Sitting Bull story. Had a long title & painted Buffalo Bill in a pretty bad light. The guy that played Chief in One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest played Sitting Bulls translator. I wonder how accurate some of it was, especially Buffalo Bill wearing a hair piece...

Buffalo Bill and the Indians.

I think it was some kind of 70's pscyho trip movie on drugs. Not sure there was much real history to it. Another interesting movie prior to that was
Little Big Man...

RBH

Bartender
gtdean48 said:
I saw a Buffalo Bill movie recently with Paul Newman that was more of a Sitting Bull story. Had a long title & painted Buffalo Bill in a pretty bad light. The guy that played Chief in One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest played Sitting Bulls translator. I wonder how accurate some of it was, especially Buffalo Bill wearing a hair piece...
Yep... Bill wore a hair piece in his later years.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
barrowjh said:
An article about a re-make of 'True Grit' - with Rooster Cogburn played by Jeff Bridges.
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movie-talk-iconic-john-wayne-role-redone.html
I am impressed with the idea from a movie standpoint, Bridges actually has talent and is certainly more believable as a not-so-clean-cut hero. From a hat perspective, it appears the hats may be no more period-accurate than in the original. In the one picture provided, Bridges' hat looks like a 1930s-era Stratoliner where the crease wore through at the pinch (borrowed from Depp, perhaps?). However, the 14-year-old girl's hat passes ok as a boss-of-the-plains.
All I know is that I like Jeff Bridges (as well as John Wayne), and that Hollywood does good hats. Always has.

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
True Grit trailer looks fantastic!

Haven't seen this posted on the lounge yet (sorry if I missed it).

I confess, I am pretty excited...

[video=youtube;s8QLMWN0yNs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8QLMWN0yNs[/video]

Viola

Call Me a Cab
True Grit has been one of my favourite westerns since I was about eleven (...before that, I was angry the pony died...) and I am guardedly optimistic, based on that trailer. I like the soundtrack, too.

Corto

A-List Customer
It does look like something the Coen Brothers could really sink their teeth into. I'm pretty excited to see it! "Fill your hands you s.o.b.!"

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
*sigh*

Yeah. It looks like it'll be fantastic. The book is quite worth finding to read.

But boy - It feels like taking something precious from, robbing, The Duke. Cogburn was his baby.

Oh well. Time goes on.

But if they team Bridges and Streep for the sequel, I reserve the right to gag.

(note - a newer thread has been merged into this one. )

At least it looks entertaining, and with Johnny Cash in the soundtrack, how can you beat it?

From what I see, the hats look somewhat authentic. I like Damon's hat, looks like a cast-off Civil War hat.

Feraud

Bartender
Saw the trailer for True Grit for last weekend at the theater. It looks really good.
My wife who does not like westerns commented, "we need to see this".

Leesensei

One of the Regulars
I have to say that I was a more than a little concerned about this movie when I first heard about it. It seems like a sort of sacrilege to remake such an iconic John Wayne movie. But after seeing the trailer, I think that this will actually be a great movie. This might be the rare remake that is as good as the original!

RBH

Bartender
Anyone else have plans for the Wednesday the 22nd???

Laie_34.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner