Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

True Grit - the Dude redo the Duke

barrowjh

One Too Many
An article about a re-make of 'True Grit' - with Rooster Cogburn played by Jeff Bridges.
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movie-talk-iconic-john-wayne-role-redone.html
I am impressed with the idea from a movie standpoint, Bridges actually has talent and is certainly more believable as a not-so-clean-cut hero. From a hat perspective, it appears the hats may be no more period-accurate than in the original. In the one picture provided, Bridges' hat looks like a 1930s-era Stratoliner where the crease wore through at the pinch (borrowed from Depp, perhaps?). However, the 14-year-old girl's hat passes ok as a boss-of-the-plains.

RBH

Bartender
John, you been whisperin' to the dogs again. :D

None of my Stratoliners has a crown that tall.:)

truegrit081810.jpg

theinterchange

One Too Many
I'm always quite hesitant when they start doing remakes, and to me, there are a few actors/actresses whose films you don't mess with. John Wayne, Steve McQueen, Audrey Hepburn, and Cary Grant come instantly to mind.

Why don't they mess with Bogart films, maybe I'd like one of them then... and with that last remark, I'll go ahead and do it for ya. :kick: lol

Back on topic. I think the hat looks as good as the original, and that's all that counts, to me... not period accuracy per se, but a respect for the source material when it comes to a remake of this caliber. Oh, and didn't they notice something was off about the eye patch on Bridges? *shrugs

Randy

theinterchange

One Too Many
RBH said:
In the book, Rooster had no eye patch, it did not mention one. But he was missing his eye.

I actually wondered if the eye patch was a Hollywood addition. I'd imagine that *most* folks would rather see a patch than a missing/cloudy eye.

Randy

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
I like being able to see a Western in the movie theater so despite it being a remake I'm tickled and I hope and suspect it will be good.:)

frussell

One Too Many
Joel and Ethan Coen

I was really not excited about this at all until I read that the Coen brothers were in charge of this remake. Now I'm okay, as I am a huge fan of their movies. I love Jeff Bridges in just about everything, but True Grit is a tough one. Hopefully, it'll be just enough different from the original that it's not a comparison, like 1960s Batman v.s. Michael Keaton Batman v.s. Christian Bale Batman. Has anyone here ever read the book? I remember as a youngster thinking the girl's character in the movie spoke strangely, until I read the book, and realized they actually kept it pretty close in the film version. Rooster Lebowski, good stuff. Frank

Dave E

One of the Regulars
I can't decide whether to be excited or depressed about this! On the one hand, it's a modern western that I can see in a cinema, which is good. On the other hand, why are they remaking a classic?

Pompidou

One Too Many
Bogart's Maltese Falcon was a remake. I'd argue Errol Flynn's Adventures of Robin Hood was better than the Douglas Fairbanks version that preceded it. Besides, 3:10 to Yuma shows that they can make an entertaining western when they try.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
frussell said:
I was really not excited about this at all until I read that the Coen brothers were in charge of this remake. Now I'm okay, as I am a huge fan of their movies. I love Jeff Bridges in just about everything, but True Grit is a tough one. Hopefully, it'll be just enough different from the original that it's not a comparison, like 1960s Batman v.s. Michael Keaton Batman v.s. Christian Bale Batman. Has anyone here ever read the book? I remember as a youngster thinking the girl's character in the movie spoke strangely, until I read the book, and realized they actually kept it pretty close in the film version. Rooster Lebowski, good stuff. Frank
I read the book and loved it. I was very much into western US history at the time and I thought the writer did a great job. He knew a lot about that era that most western writers didn't know.

Feraud

Bartender
We've discussed this before but I'll mention it again. Remakes have been around for nearly as long as film has. The Maltese Falcon, Wizard of Oz, The Garden of Allah, The Ten Commandments, are just a few titles that have been remade.

I am looking forward to the Coen bros. film.

Cricket

Practically Family
I am really looking forward to this one. I am a huge Coen bros. fan, and I have faith that it will be a great film. I did like the original, but I am going in with the open mind not to compare it so much, and just enjoy seeing a film.

I read an article this morning that said the Coen bros. are leaning toward more of a film based on the book and not so much a remake.

It will be interesting to see how it unfolds, and I am very excited. When is it supposed to be released?

theinterchange

One Too Many
Cricket said:
It will be interesting to see how it unfolds, and I am very excited. When is it supposed to be released?

Christmas Day according to imdb.com

I also just now noticed that Matt Damon is in the film.[huh] ...the film quickly loses my interest....

Randy

barrowjh

One Too Many
Its about the Hat

Yes, Dude Lebowski's hat. Rusty says the crown is too high to be a Stratoliner - so let's see if we can figure this out - could it be an Allessandria? Did Borsalino make dark brown Allessandrias?

RBH

Bartender
barrowjh said:
Yes, Dude Lebowski's hat. Rusty says the crown is too high to be a Stratoliner - so let's see if we can figure this out - could it be an Allessandria? Did Borsalino make dark brown Allessandrias?

John, I have most of my felts put away. But I do not believe that the hat Bridges has on will match up with my vintage Alessandria either. [huh]

I met Ken Curtis [Festus] from Gunsmoke in the early 80's. I ask him about his hat from the TV show.
{I loved and still do a good western. And at that time wore cowboy hats all the time.}
He said he found it in a prop box.
Now I do not know, but the same could be said of this hat. If so, no telling who made it.

barrowjh

One Too Many
yeah, coud be any one of a number of hats, but it does look like fur felt, not a wool prop. Both hats are apparently intended to portray reality - not just years (months?) of sweat stains, but accumulated dust on the sweat stains around the base of the crown.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
John Wayne was fabulous in True Grit, the supporting cast was stellar.
This was one of Robert Duvalls 1st big parts and he was great too.
But Glen Campbell and Kim Darby were abysmal, so bad that I have a hard time watch the movie.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I generally dread remakes of classic films, but I may actually see this at some point.

Kind of ironic though, the "Dude" redoes the "Duke..." Hopefully he carries it off well. I want this film to succeed, I don't want it to butcher the classic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21