Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trying different knots on Neckties.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Has anyone tried different knots on their ties rather than the standard Winsors, Pratt knot or 4 in hand? Here's one I tried recently. There are some Youtube videos that show a plethora of them. Many of them will work even on a vintage tie despite them being shorter. It has added some fun and variety to my tie wearing.

Here's one on a vintage tie.

fedoralover

Last edited:

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I know some people don't like them. Some I don't care for either. But I have gotten bored tying the same style knot for over 25 years. I have a few of the variations I like and have started using them.

fedoralover

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Years ago a friend gave me "85 Ways to Tie a Tie" and I tried them all, just for $hits and giggles. I'm still using the four-in-hand. But then I'm a big believer in the KISS theory.

Metatron

One Too Many
I like that tie knot, it's a lot nicer on the vintage tie.
I definitely abide by the crookedest knot as well, it's less formal and that suits my needs.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
A 3 tiered knot on a Zegna tie. These do take a little more time. But I have gotten lots of "I like that" comments from people. And yes I have gotten the "hmmm, not so sure" comments as well. But lets face it, most of us here dress for our own tastes not someone elses, so that really doesn't bother me.

fedoralover

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
One consideration when using knots of various shapes and sizes is the selection of a complimentary shirt collar.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Also, some knots just don't look good with some tie patterns. You have to pick which one to use with which tie. I'm getting a kick out of trying some of these. The first pic I posted is a Capsule knot. I've had lots of people ask, "how did you do that?, that's awesome!"

fedoralover

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
My go-to knot is always a Double Windsor. When I was a kid, I had friends who could tie one, and I never could, and I felt embarrassed. Once I learned how, I do it all the time.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Those are some interesting knots. I've tried a few of the less-seen varieties myself, and they seem to work best for longer, modern ties.

For my vintage ties, I use a four-in-hand knot, and often the back end is half the length of the front when tied. For my modern ties, as they are considerably longer, and I almost always do a double four-in-hand or a half-windsor knot to use the extra length. The back end would be almost as long as the front. I like wearing modern ties sometimes, with the bigger knots I've mentioned, but vintage ties are in fact less time-consuming to do, with many interesting designs that wouldn't be sold anywhere except for eBay or other auctioneers. With the amount of people disliking the wearing of ties nowadays, less length and less padding on the inside is something for the manufacturers to think about. Some of my lighter vintage ties feel like nothing is around the neck.

Annixter

Practically Family
While I appreciate the creative nature of nontraditional knots, most of them look too busy/flamboyant to me and draw away attention from the face. I stick to "simples," "half-Windsors," and "Windsors." There's something quite elegant about the simplicity of traditional knots, especially with a vintage tie and a nice knot dimple. To relieve the monotony of tying knots, I simply hunt down more vintage ties to add spice.:D My preference stated, to each his own, so keep the different knots a' coming.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Sometimes I use a knot that I call a double wrap four-in-hand, which my Dad taught me (all you do is wrap the wide end around an extra time). I find it useful because at 5'8" with 14 1/2 - 15" collar, most modern ties are way, way too long of me. It's a good alternative to the Windsor when wearing a spread collar. Another one I use from time to time is called the Nicky.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo