Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuesday afternoon in Boston

D

drafttek

Subvet642 said:
I'm from Boston/Eastern Mass. and our culture is such that we are reserved in public. People mistake this for rudeness. What it really is, is respect for one's privacy. We instinctively recoil from being the center of attention. I, of course, don't mind being complimented privately, but being shouted to by a stranger leaves one feeling uncomfortably exposed. Well, at least that's my interpretation. :eek:

I second that.

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
Interesting thread....

I find that people in larger urban areas with the exception of New Orleans because of the cities density have a greater sense of privacy. While this may not be the case for everyone say food hawkers at the fish market. Most people just walking down the street tend to even shy away from eye contact. Indycop mentioned the motorcycle wave and it would be considered a form of etiquette in the motorcycle world. Which brings me to a thought.....instead of yelling or pitching ones voice to carry why not just tip your lid as a friendly gesture of respect to another hat wearer. I think that if you had eye contact with the person they would get the drift.

I have to admit that though I may have been shy at a younger age I don't even think twice at walking up to someone and starting a conversation now days. This habit has on numerous occasions irritated my Ex to no end.

RedPop4

One Too Many
I don't actually "yell." Perhaps my diction wasn't up to snuff.

Most people can tell the intent of the compliment when the person saying so are, themselves, wearing a hat, no? Or is the sophistication and understanding we laud ourselves for here on TFL only applicable to message boards? Are we THAT insecure and defensive about our hats? Why wear a hat if we're so preoccupied what people think of us?

Warbird is right, New Orleanians, on the whole, are out-going and quite affectionate. We hug our friends when we see each other, and sometimes will hug strangers when they're with our trusted friends. We are insular, as a community, but not so on an individual basis. We don't go over too well, with people not from here, the rest of urban America doesn't understand us and our friendliness.

Now we do have our share of obnoxious assclowns as well, but for the most part we enjoy being with people.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
RedPop4 said:
Pun intended from a cigar guy?lol

RedPop4 said:
Are we THAT insecure and defensive about our hats? Why wear a hat if we're so preoccupied what people think of us?
Pete, the personal rancor reflected in that remark I don't intend to dignify with comment. But I would like to address your general attitude of hopeless negativism. Consider the lilies of the @#!$%^& field or... hell! Take at look at Delmar here as your paradigm of hope.

RedPop4 said:
Warbird is right, New Orleanians, on the whole, are out-going and quite affectionate. We hug our friends when we see each other, and sometimes will hug strangers when they're with our trusted friends. We are insular, as a community, but not so on an individual basis. We don't go over too well, with people not from here, the rest of urban America doesn't understand us and our friendliness.

Now we do have our share of obnoxious assclowns as well, but for the most part we enjoy being with people.
We have a dispatcher from New Orleans and he's ok, maybe likes the martini's a little too muchlol . Can never understand what the heck he is saying on the radio though!lol lol lol

RedPop4

One Too Many
indycop said:
Pun intended from a cigar guy?lol

Pete, the personal rancor reflected in that remark I don't intend to dignify with comment. But I would like to address your general attitude of hopeless negativism. Consider the lilies of the @#!$%^& field or... hell! Take at look at Delmar here as your paradigm of hope.

We have a dispatcher from New Orleans and he's ok, maybe likes the martini's a little too muchlol . Can never understand what the heck he is saying on the radio though!lol lol lol
Yeah....look at me.lol lol
DelmarFromOBrotherWhereArtThou.jpg

1911 Man

A-List Customer
Actually, if I see a perfect stranger with a nice hat, nice shoes, or a nice suit, I will often walk right up to them and tell them. Frequently I will ask them what kind it is or where they bought it. This tactic led me to learn about Allen Edmonds shoes for the first time several years ago. I've never once had the recipient of my compliment act as if I offended him. Most of the time it seems to make their day.

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
RedPop4 said:
I fear that you may have taken what I said as being aimed at yourself. That was not my intent, is was just a general comment based on the conversation. My apologies....

RedPop4 said:
Most people can tell the intent of the compliment when the person saying so are, themselves, wearing a hat, no? Or is the sophistication and understanding we laud ourselves for here on TFL only applicable to message boards? Are we THAT insecure and defensive about our hats? Why wear a hat if we're so preoccupied what people think of us?
Most wearing a hat would be on a similar wavelength, though not all. But the sophistication would be different for each whether they visit a community such as this or not. A community such as this does have a tendency to lead to the raising of someones sophistication if only because of the educational attributes of the forum. For example had I just gone off and purchased a new fedora I would have not read the topics on hat etiquette. Because of which I learned a few things to add to my sophistication. As to the topic of being insecure or defensive, I believe that the comments were leading more to the thought that cultural norms on entering into a conversation with a stranger differ dependent where you are. In the North East people are different than say Texas or Wisconsin it doesn't mean that they are afraid. I have always trod outside of the box and so expect comments and welcome them.

RedPop4 said:

I've enjoyed my stays in New Orleans, I haven't been there in years and wish to visit again sometime....miss the food:cool2:

Subvet642

A-List Customer
RedPop4 said:

I love a compliment, I just prefer that it be delivered in such a way that I'm not "put on the spot". When one is living within a certain culture, one has certain expectations. Behavior outside of these expectations can be uncomfortable for others. If I were in New Orleans, I would act within their cultural norms to the best of my ability, anything else would be considered rude, and rightly so. I hope to put that into practice, someday (I love food).

univibe88

One Too Many
RedPop4 said:
Yeah....look at me.lol lol
DelmarFromOBrotherWhereArtThou.jpg

You lookin' good bra! I found dis ole pictuh of me from da last time I was home to see my mamma'n'em. Up here in Boston, dem silly yankees don't yell at me like back home. Dey just stare kinda funny.

King_Zulu_15(76).jpg

indycop

I'll Lock Up
univibe88 said:
I have to admit I didn't have a hat on that day. Please don't kick me out of the club. :(
:eek: :kick:

Well, that right there may be the reason you've had difficulty findin' gainful employment. You see, in the mart of competitive commerce...

jkingrph

Practically Family
BobC said:
Something like that happened to me on Tuesday. A gentleman came to my counter to pick up a prescription wearing an olive color sort of western looking/sort of urban looking hat with a brown leather band. I was too busy to take a minute to speak with him, but I made comment to one on my technicians that I liked his hat. The tech went to him and told him the pharmacist likes your hat and wants to know where you got it. The gentleman and I exchanged nods and he thanked me and said he didn't remember where he got it. It's not often that occasions like that come up. Of course, I didin't have a hat on at the time, and I didn't have time to tell him that I enjoy hats too.

Ah! Another pharmacist on the board. Down here I think I am about the only one wearing a hat, except some will go western for special occasions.

I wear mine daily to and from work and everyone else, having a non treatable eye problem that resulted in litearally thousands of floaters, the brim really helps me in sheilding my eyes from bright lights, and I refuse to wear gimmie caps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot