Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuesday afternoon in Boston

univibe88

One Too Many
I was sitting in a very crowded Starbucks on State Street downtown Boston on Tuesday afternoon. I saw a gentleman walk by wearing either a Federation or an Adventurebuilt - I couldn't tell which. I really wanted to run out and compliment him on his hat, but I had my laptop out at my table (and the Starbucks was very crowded.) I couldn't just leave all my stuff.

But anyway, it was really cool to see someone walk by wearing such a nice hat. :D

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
RedPop4 said:
Karl, I often yell NICE HAT or GREAT HAT, when I see someone of distinction and taste.

Why would you do that? Considering the "dumb things people have said" thread, it is likely to be considered as a sarcastic or insulting comment by the wearer. I would be mortified if someone did that to me (as opposed to coming up to me and paying me a compliment quietly).

Do you also yell at people in the street who you see wearing a nice pair of shoes, or carrying a particularly striking leather duffle bag?

Winsor

New in Town
Hey Karl

Hey Karl,
Know that Starbucks well, used to work in that building.
I love this time of year so I can wear my Feds and CEOs without overheating.
I'll keep an eye out for you.
Mark

warbird

One Too Many
Max Flash said:
Why would you do that? Considering the "dumb things people have said" thread, it is likely to be considered as a sarcastic or insulting comment by the wearer. I would be mortified if someone did that to me (as opposed to coming up to me and paying me a compliment quietly).

Do you also yell at people in the street who you see wearing a nice pair of shoes, or carrying a particularly striking leather duffle bag?

He lives in New Orleans. They shout out props to folks when they are impressed. If things such as that make you squeamish, take my advice stay out of New Orleans. It isn't a place for the shy or faint of heart.

Also our fine friend living up in that far off place called Boston, Univibe, is himself a native Louisianian.

I will also add in reference to the horror stories thread that I never ever have negative comments to my hats. Never! They may snicker or say something behind my back, I don't know but they don't say it to my face. I do hear plenty of compliments though, I bet I got 3 or 4 just yesterday.

Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez!! You go Pops!

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
univibe88 said:
I was sitting in a very crowded Starbucks on State Street downtown Boston on Tuesday afternoon. I saw a gentleman walk by wearing either a Federation or an Adventurebuilt - I couldn't tell which. I really wanted to run out and compliment him on his hat, but I had my laptop out at my table (and the Starbucks was very crowded.) I couldn't just leave all my stuff.

But anyway, it was really cool to see someone walk by wearing such a nice hat. :D

Something like that happened to me on Tuesday. A gentleman came to my counter to pick up a prescription wearing an olive color sort of western looking/sort of urban looking hat with a brown leather band. I was too busy to take a minute to speak with him, but I made comment to one on my technicians that I liked his hat. The tech went to him and told him the pharmacist likes your hat and wants to know where you got it. The gentleman and I exchanged nods and he thanked me and said he didn't remember where he got it. It's not often that occasions like that come up. Of course, I didin't have a hat on at the time, and I didn't have time to tell him that I enjoy hats too.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
warbird said:
He lives in New Orleans. They shout out props to folks when they are impressed. If things such as that make you squeamish, take my advice stay out of New Orleans. It isn't a place for the shy or faint of heart.

Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez!! You go Pops!

:eusa_clap

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Max Flash said:

I would take that like the fellow motorcyclist wave. if the guy says nice hat and he is also wearing a hat I would not think anything of it.:)

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
warbird said:

Also our fine friend living up in that far off place called Boston, Univibe, is himself a native Louisianian.

Okay - it makes more sense in a "cultural" context. As a Brit I would find such actions unwelcome and intimidating from strangers.

Not as intimidating as being told to "stay out of New Orleans" though.

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
indycop said:
I would take that like the fellow motorcyclist wave. if the guy says nice hat and he is also wearing a hat I would not think anything of it.:)

Well, it is one thing being told a compliment (especially if you knew it was genuinely meant) but being yelled at in the street (even in good humour/nature) is another thing entirely, IMO.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Making Lemonade

Max Flash said:
Well, it is one thing being told a compliment (especially if you knew it was genuinely meant) but being yelled at in the street (even in good humour/nature) is another thing entirely, IMO.

I usually drive with the top down/open on my T-Bird and am always wearing a hat of some sort. Quite often when picking my daughter up from school, I drive by some kids and hear ".... hat!". Since I don't know what they said before "hat", I simply wave and keep on driving.
At worst, they think I'm deaf, eccentric, or both.
At best, I've acknowledged their compliment/adoration/admiration/etc.
;) :)

warbird

One Too Many
Max Flash said:
Okay - it makes more sense in a "cultural" context. As a Brit I would find such actions unwelcome and intimidating from strangers.

Surely you jest sir. I am certain you did not take my statement as one of intimidation or threat. If that offends your sensibilities then I really mean you should stay out of New Orleans.

It is no threat, but a word of caution that it would possibly not be a place where you would feel comfortable. Even when it is not Mardi Gras or some other such wild fest, definitely stay away then even locals don't care for late night during Mardi Gras. However they are gregarious people who dance with strangers in the streets and such. Their funeral processions are marching dixieland bands. I cannot explain it well, their culture, it is wholly unique to them. Not everyone would feel comfortable there, which is OK, I'm not comfortable everywhere.

However, if you think you could stand a few shout outs you should go there if in the states, as it is without question one of America's top 3 food cities.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I'm wearing my work hat, people often shout and wave; its just that they wave with one finger and I'm generally to busy to return and counsel them on manners.

Subvet642

A-List Customer
Max Flash said:

I'm from Boston/Eastern Mass. and our culture is such that we are reserved in public. People mistake this for rudeness. What it really is, is respect for one's privacy. We instinctively recoil from being the center of attention. I, of course, don't mind being complimented privately, but being shouted to by a stranger leaves one feeling uncomfortably exposed. Well, at least that's my interpretation. :eek:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
This thread reminds me of a parallel discussion that might be worth considering. People who wear tattoos, but who are offended when you comment on them, are hard for me to figure out. Why decorate your skin, show it off, then react badly to questions and/or comments? Similarly, if you choose to wear an unusual piece of clothing such as a vintage fedora, aren't comments expected to some degree?

I guess it just boils down to the fact that people interact differently, thank heavens. What a bore it'd be otherwise!

indycop

I'll Lock Up
randooch said:
if you choose to wear an unusual piece of clothing such as a vintage fedora, aren't comments expected to some degree?
There was a thread somewhere on here where few folks said they like fedoras because it kinda gives you a place to hide behind. So even though it stands out I guess you can pull the brim down low and disappear.[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner