Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turquoise/Native American jewelry

Sheepdog149

Practically Family
[emoji1690]
fec40a8036cfde7698779e23618c5f34.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks Bob. I've been trying to find a way to display and enjoy my collection of trade beads. They are so beautiful to look at and handle - hate to keep them tucked away in a drawer. I put a bunch in an antique tray we don't use much and put some silver necklaces in another shallow bowl. Below, a few new additions that I haven't found a place for yet.

trade_beads.jpg

silver_beads.jpg

Bohemian red glass trade beads, 19th c.

bohemian.jpg

Antique amber bead necklace from Morocco.

amber.jpg

This should be my last upload of new native antiquities for a while. Doctor's orders. I am at risk of a broken neck.

A few trade necklaces

agates1.jpg

Faceted carnelian agate beads made in Idar Oberstein, Germany, likely 19th century.

agates2.jpg

Antique hand carved carnelian and sardonyx agate dZi beads, Tibetan, found in Kathmandu, Nepal.

dzi.jpg

a long string of ancient Roman excavated glass beads, early centuries AD.

roman.jpg

A old row bracelet with beautiful old square cut blue moon turquoise stones. Heavy patina that I will leave as is.

squareturqcuff1.jpg

squareturqcuff3.jpg

squareturqcuff2.jpg

and a peace treaty ring for my wife which I hope will keep my neck safe for a while...

1930_ring1.jpg

1930_ring2.jpg

Attachments

• dan4.jpg
    dan4.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 860

Yamahana

One Too Many
Thanks Bob. I've been trying to find a way to display and enjoy my collection of trade beads. They are so beautiful to look at and handle - hate to keep them tucked away in a drawer. I put a bunch in an antique tray we don't use much and put some silver necklaces in another shallow bowl. Below, a few new additions that I haven't found a place for yet.

View attachment 171783

View attachment 171784

Bohemian red glass trade beads, 19th c.

View attachment 171785

Antique amber bead necklace from Morocco.

View attachment 171782

I am immensely fascinated by these vintage trade beads you have posted. Not only their beauty and craftsmanship but also the people, their cultures and era of time they represent. I know nothing about these vintage beads and haven’t had any type of beads since my young cowboy days wearing puka shell and heishi shell but I now have a new itch to scratch. I don’t know whether to thank you or to curse you for this new itch. I may not know much about them yet but these are now headed my way..
8f01a190d3994d9b33121a9ead1efc71.jpg

Seller didn’t know much about them..they were from an estate sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am immensely fascinated by these vintage trade beads you have posted. Not only their beauty and craftsmanship but also the people, their cultures and era of time they represent. I know nothing about these vintage beads and haven’t had any type of beads since my young cowboy days wearing puka shell and heishi shell but I now have a new itch to scratch. I don’t know whether to thank you or to curse you for this new itch. I may not know much about them yet but these are now headed my way..
8f01a190d3994d9b33121a9ead1efc71.jpg

Seller didn’t know much about them..they were from an estate sale.

Congratulations and sorry. ;^)

This looks to me to be a string of various types of Venetian trade beads. The red, white and blue bead to the right of center is a chevron - it should have an interesting side profile.

This book is a fabulous resource. The later expanded edition is very expensive to buy, but I was able to find a copy on eBay at a fair price. The earlier version is much easier to come by and much more affordable.

The History of Beads from 100,000 BC to the Present by Lois Sherr Dubin

The journey these old trade beads have made on their way to land in our hands for a while is something to ponder as we enjoy them for their intrinsic beauty. Keep us posted.

My wife and I just returned from 10 weeks in the south west USA. My wife has a turquoise necklace from a few years back and wanted a modest bracelet. Went into a recommended shop in Gallup that was huge in size and assortment of all things native American. We didn't buy anything as my wife went into sensory over load...her eyes could not come to terms with where to look there was so much stuff, so much colour, just so much of everything. We wandered about for a few minutes and left. She abandoned the search until we stopped for a Navajo taco in Shiprock NM and stopped into a much smaller shop. More of a general store with some Native jewelry. She found a simple, modest silver bracelet and is very happy with it. I will dig it out tomorrow and snap a pic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch