Turquoise/Native American jewelry

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Feraud, Jul 21, 2008.

1. alanfgag

alanfgag

A few recently acquired pieces... a silver ring in a stylized kachina form, with four bisbee turquoise stones:

kachina_ring1.jpg

kachina_ring2.jpg

and a few new bead necklaces, from top, a set of nice graduated silver bench beads (Navajo pearls), two long strands of ancient Chumash stone beads from the California Channel Islands, a necklace of ancient Roman empire hand cut amazonite beads strung with excavated Roman glass beads (perhaps two thousand years old) and a necklace of antique long faceted "Russian" cobalt Chief's beads, likely made in Bohemia or Venice a few hundred years ago, purchased by Russians for fur trade with Pacific Northwest native people. My trade bead collection is growing!

amazonite_beads.jpg

Yamahana, BobHufford and Desert dog like this.
  2. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Really great acquisitions, Alan. That ring and its stones is something. Not what I conjure visually when thinking "pinkie" ring.

Your trade bead collection is a treat to look at and I'm glad I haven't stepped off that ledge. From the looks of them it appears size was important (they all look hefty) as well as quality of construction as there is a lot of symmetry in all of the work. Love the various shapes, textures and colors. Thanks for sharing.

3. alanfgag

alanfgag

Many thanks Greg. I'm glad you enjoy seeing them.

These are not lightweight strands, but most are very wearable weights. I do have a couple that could benefit from a good back brace. The source of these (almost all of the ones I own, actually) is a Washington based native community that has a remarkable collection of ethnographic necklaces. The prominent antique beads in each are a joy to see and handle and they are strung in very handsome combinations. Some have likely been restrung while others have been in these strands for a very long time.

BobHufford and Bamaboots like this.
  4. Desert dog

Desert dog Call Me a Cab

Thanks for posting such an interesting piece. I had a friend that used to walk the desert with me, in search of artifacts. It amazed me that he found trade beads in the Mojave Desert. I have found shell beads, but no trade beads. I recently read of fur traders entering the "back door" of Alta California, to trade and steal. Here is a metate and mano that my friend found, he gave it to me before he died. The mano was beneath the metate, which was inverted. Hidden for safe keeping in a stand of mesquite.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

BobHufford, Bamaboots and alanfgag like this.
  5. alanfgag

alanfgag

Fascinating back yard artifacts!

Desert dog likes this.
  6. Sheepdog149

Sheepdog149 Practically Family

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

7. Sheepdog149

Sportin' a beaded Lakota (Sioux) medicine wheel on a leather necklace[​IMG]

Bamaboots, alanfgag and BobHufford like this.
  8. alanfgag

alanfgag

An old tufa cast cuff with four turquoise cabochons, described by the seller as Burnham turquoise (from the last chance, Burnham, Godber mine). Coin silver and unsigned.

old_tufa1.jpg

old_tufa2.jpg

old_tufa3.jpg

old_tufa4.jpg

9. alanfgag likes this.
  10. alanfgag

alanfgag

Thanks Bob. I've been trying to find a way to display and enjoy my collection of trade beads. They are so beautiful to look at and handle - hate to keep them tucked away in a drawer. I put a bunch in an antique tray we don't use much and put some silver necklaces in another shallow bowl. Below, a few new additions that I haven't found a place for yet.

trade_beads.jpg

silver_beads.jpg

Bohemian red glass trade beads, 19th c.

bohemian.jpg

Antique amber bead necklace from Morocco.

amber.jpg

Garrett, Yamahana, Bamaboots and 2 others like this.
  11. alanfgag

alanfgag

This should be my last upload of new native antiquities for a while. Doctor's orders. I am at risk of a broken neck.

A few trade necklaces

agates1.jpg

Faceted carnelian agate beads made in Idar Oberstein, Germany, likely 19th century.

agates2.jpg

Antique hand carved carnelian and sardonyx agate dZi beads, Tibetan, found in Kathmandu, Nepal.

dzi.jpg

a long string of ancient Roman excavated glass beads, early centuries AD.

roman.jpg

A old row bracelet with beautiful old square cut blue moon turquoise stones. Heavy patina that I will leave as is.

squareturqcuff1.jpg

squareturqcuff3.jpg

squareturqcuff2.jpg

and a peace treaty ring for my wife which I hope will keep my neck safe for a while...

1930_ring1.jpg

1930_ring2.jpg

Attached Files:

• dan4.jpg
      dan4.jpg
      File size:
      277.9 KB
      Views:
  12. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

That cuff is amazing! There was one like it on ebay recently.

13. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Good thinking. All beautiful pieces.

14. Sheepdog149

Same ol' Navajo pendant[​IMG]

15. Yamahana

Yamahana One of the Regulars

I am immensely fascinated by these vintage trade beads you have posted. Not only their beauty and craftsmanship but also the people, their cultures and era of time they represent. I know nothing about these vintage beads and haven’t had any type of beads since my young cowboy days wearing puka shell and heishi shell but I now have a new itch to scratch. I don’t know whether to thank you or to curse you for this new itch. I may not know much about them yet but these are now headed my way..[​IMG]
    Seller didn’t know much about them..they were from an estate sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. alanfgag

alanfgag

Congratulations and sorry. ;^)

This looks to me to be a string of various types of Venetian trade beads. The red, white and blue bead to the right of center is a chevron - it should have an interesting side profile.

This book is a fabulous resource. The later expanded edition is very expensive to buy, but I was able to find a copy on eBay at a fair price. The earlier version is much easier to come by and much more affordable.

The History of Beads from 100,000 BC to the Present by Lois Sherr Dubin

The journey these old trade beads have made on their way to land in our hands for a while is something to ponder as we enjoy them for their intrinsic beauty. Keep us posted.

Yamahana likes this.
  17. belfastboy

belfastboy Call Me a Cab

My wife and I just returned from 10 weeks in the south west USA. My wife has a turquoise necklace from a few years back and wanted a modest bracelet. Went into a recommended shop in Gallup that was huge in size and assortment of all things native American. We didn't buy anything as my wife went into sensory over load...her eyes could not come to terms with where to look there was so much stuff, so much colour, just so much of everything. We wandered about for a few minutes and left. She abandoned the search until we stopped for a Navajo taco in Shiprock NM and stopped into a much smaller shop. More of a general store with some Native jewelry. She found a simple, modest silver bracelet and is very happy with it. I will dig it out tomorrow and snap a pic.

18. Sheepdog149

Beaded deerskin cuff:[​IMG]

alanfgag and BobHufford like this.
  19. alanfgag

alanfgag

I think I've worn this bracelet every day since I got it.

bluemooncuff.jpg

20. Yamahana

Yamahana One of the Regulars

I’ve worn a copper bracelet daily of some sort or another for the past 15 years or so. ‘‘Twas this one today with a Kingman turquoise stone.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

handymike, BobHufford and alanfgag like this.