Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turquoise/Native American jewelry

Weht

New in Town
My wedding ring titanium turquoise and koa
a bracelet? of my grandpas that he had a Timex watch in the middle; well other way around because it still has the wristband [middle] and mt grandpas turquoise ring​

Attachments

• 20200229_181513.jpg
    20200229_181513.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 664

Retired EE

New in Town
My great-grandmother, wearing her trade bead necklace. She was born in 1874, and lived in a small community within the Chickasaw Indian nation in the Oklahoma territory. To those with expertise in trade bead necklaces, what might be the stones, and their color, which make up her necklace?

IMG_1197.jpeg

Wonderful picture! Hard to guess much about the beads used to make this necklace, but if you page back through this thread you'll find a number of trade bead necklaces posted. Most of the beads in my collection that were traded in the Americas were of European (Venetian) and Bohemian origin. The colors and patterns could fill a rainbow. Please share more photos if you have them.

Retired EE

New in Town
Wonderful picture! Hard to guess much about the beads used to make this necklace, but if you page back through this thread you'll find a number of trade bead necklaces posted. Most of the beads in my collection that were traded in the Americas were of European (Venetian) and Bohemian origin. The colors and patterns could fill a rainbow. Please share more photos if you have them.

Unfortunately, I have only one photo of her, which was cropped from a larger family photo with her children at her side and behind her (one of whom was my grandfather). Her name was Osana, which means "otter" in the Muscogee Creek language. My aunt possesses all the old family photos. I thought it would be interesting to share on this thread. The necklace appeared to be her only jewelry.

My folks (both in assisted living) have decided to sell their house. One thing that I became the caretaker of is this silver bolo made by Jimmy Begay, Jr. (on the Navajo Reservation near Gallup, NM). Jimmy is a long time friend (even longer for my wife who used to work with him) and my Dad commissioned this piece when we were vacationing together in New Mexico in the mid-1990s. He just asked Jimmy to make something that meant something to him and deferred to the artist for the design. I think it is just a fantastic piece. Apparently with Dad's struggle with Alzheimers this didn't make it out of house (or see any silver polish) for years.

It came back to it's shiny self with some elbow grease. I look forward to wearing it and honoring both Dad and Jimmy.

Before:

IMG_7606.jpg

IMG_7608.jpg

After:

IMG_7632.jpg

IMG_7633.jpg

IMG_7636.jpg

IMG_7634.jpg

IMG_7635.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I purchased a few older rings recently, set with nice rustic green Cerrilos turquoise. The large ring is the second piece I’ve acquired made by Sam Roanhorse, younger brother of Ambrose Roanhorse. Sam was born in 1916 and worked in several notable shops including the White Hogan.

View attachment 244391

View attachment 244392

View attachment 244393

Congrats on having paired Roanhorse jewelry. They are stunning pieces apart and even more so together. The other two green Cerrilos turquoise pieces are equally eye catching.

Cheers, Eric -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot