Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turquoise/Native American jewelry

A mid twentieth century coin silver necklace with bench beads and tufa cast naja.

small_naja1.jpg

smal_naja2.jpg

Nice embellishment for the antique hat Ross. Was it sold as a work by Roger Skeet Jr? Senior did not mark his pieces to my knowledge. There are quite a few silversmiths who stamped an RS hallmark. Skeet Jr. was among them (also used his full name) - known for concho belts with quality stamp work.

RossRYoung

Practically Family
It was sold as a Roger Skeet Jr. piece, though the price seemed low compared to what else is available currently. I had sussed out this hallmark as it is mine and my wife’s first name initials together. Reverse order was going to be a Sam Roanhorse piece, availability and price hindered that search.

On a separate note I may have found a copper cuff for myself. It should arrive early next week though may be too large to keep, we’ll see.

RossRYoung

Practically Family
My pleasure, I’m proud to sport it. It is slightly large and the gap is small, so the struggle with this piece has been bending to put on and then bending around my wrist. It slides a little once I have it clamped down as far as it will go. I’ll be able to comment more on weight after an outing this weekend when I plan on wearing it all day.

After several outings with the Cherokee cuff, I can confirm it is slightly uncomfortable to wear all day, and the moment I take it off, it’s a weight lifted off for sure.

I recently picked up an RS stamped 54g cuff, which is much easier to wear and less restrictive. I also picked up a Steven Yellowhorse ring:

View attachment 332613 View attachment 332614 View attachment 332615

Heavy cuffs can be unpleasant - same with a cuff that doesn't fit quite right on the wrist. A good fit can help a lot to carry the weight.

Here's my old Navajo cuff made from coin silver, 1940s/50s.

URu6oda.jpg
gC3WVGU.jpg
klBjJrO.jpg

More pics here...

https://imgur.com/a/EbvV8fS

Beauty!

Today's wrist wear... the heaviest cuff in my collection at 141 grams. The size and oval shape are a good fit and carry the heft well, though I have to admit I usually reach for another if I'm thinking about comfort. This profusely stamped bracelet is by Diné silversmith Mark Chee (1914-1981)

051021_navajo.jpg

The inside shows the traditional working of the ingot and Chee's signature stamp.

051021_navajo_2.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui