Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turquoise/Native American jewelry

A 1990's cuff from Navajo Silversmith Elvira Bill.

IMG_3926.jpg

IMG_3927.jpg

IMG_3928.jpg

IMG_3930.jpg

IMG_3929.jpg

Beautiful ring BB! I love the culture & art of the Hopi (& the Zuni) tribes & their believe in their reemergence. Incidentally in their oral history their point of reemergence is in the Grand Canyon & is off limits to the public by the US Gov't. Most ethicists believe the Hopi are descended from the Navajo & the Zuni from the Anasazi.

If you have never been to the reservations & canyonlands of the desert southwest, you should go.

Not Bell Trading or any other hallmark to be found. Cuff is 1" wide & medallion is 1-5/8" across the center. Thinking about polishing the 3 bezels back to bright copper to contrast with the other patina. Opinions?

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

@Ross Young

I have been looking for a similar vintage or modern coat with shawl collar/lapel. Ten times more women's coats turn up than men's. Tell me about yours. I really like it.

IMG_0036.JPG

Last edited:

Leigh H

Practically Family
Not Bell Trading or any other hallmark to be found. Cuff is 1" wide & medallion is 1-5/8" across the center. Thinking about polishing the 3 bezels back to bright copper to contrast with the other patina. Opinions?

View attachment 423138

View attachment 423139

@Ross Young

I have been looking for a similar vintage or modern coat with shawl collar/lapel. Ten times more women's coats turn up than men's. Tell me about yours. I really like it.

View attachment 423140
I wouldn’t polish it! I think it looks perfect!
Might be too much of a contrast.

View attachment 423138

View attachment 423139
I'd be hesitant to alter the patina... only because almost every time I do it I wish I hadn't after the fact. Very interesting piece.

ReynardTheFox

New in Town
Stormy Mountain cabochon set on a heavy shank in a sawtooth bezel trimmed in silver rope by Robert Kelly. Minimal traditional stamping on the shank. Though I read the dimensions, I think I fell for the stone without giving a lot of thought to how big the ring actually is and it's substantial. According to the seller, ca. 70's-80's..

I bought the ring from Abby Kent Flythe and that conversation alone was worth the price of admission. We had a brief email conversation and negotiated a price. She left me her home # and asked me to call her in the evening to conclude the transaction. She conducts her sales over the phone; something I haven't done in some time. WE probably stayed on the phone for 15 minutes after our business was concluded. Such a fun person to do business with and a wealth of knowledge. We spoke about a number of her pieces and some upcoming. We spoke of a few artists including Michael Schmaltz, (member here) who she said now lives in KS. She keeps trying to talk him into making more rings. He's not doing a lot if any jewelry right now. I told her of the thread here on the lounge and suggested she might enjoy looking at some of the pieces displayed here. I told her I would send her a link to this thread and i need to remind myself to do that after this.

View attachment 407647 View attachment 407648 View attachment 407649 View attachment 407650 View attachment 407651
that's really nice. i didn't realise the native americans rattled out stuff like this. I have a couple of Ottoman rings I wear. A peridot one and a red agate one. both silver obviously and highly decorated. they aren't very expensive but I always wanted one. My uncle had a massive amber coloured stone in a ring he wore, it might have been amber itself. I like the turquoise ones here, lovely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko