Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turquoise/Native American jewelry

that's really nice. i didn't realise the native americans rattled out stuff like this. I have a couple of Ottoman rings I wear. A peridot one and a red agate one. both silver obviously and highly decorated. they aren't very expensive but I always wanted one. My uncle had a massive amber coloured stone in a ring he wore, it might have been amber itself. I like the turquoise ones here, lovely.
Thank you, sir.

My wife and daughters love when our friend from Santa Fe comes to visit. Not only for the great company and endless fun, but she usually arrives bearing gifts — as she pares down her jewelry collection.

4D7CAC13-4280-48F1-A149-AE3E5B427413.jpeg

The Wyler case is 35.5-36mm in diameter, and the lugs are just shy of 18mm wide. I've seen Wylers on cuffs before, and they seem to fit. I'm putting a WW2 Bulova on another cuff, but the piece that holds the watch on broke so I need to get it fixed.

Last edited:
The Wyler case is 35.5-36mm in diameter, and the lugs are just shy of 18mm wide. I've seen Wylers on cuffs before, and they seem to fit. I'm putting a WW2 Bulova on another cuff, but the piece that holds the watch on broke so I need to get it fixed.
These tips were measured by the seller to be 18mm but I think they were just eyeballing with a ruler. I haven't put a mic on them yet but they are at least 19mm, it may even take a 20mm. I don't want to file them down to fit. So my 1960's Omega Seamaster won't work.

IMG_4882.jpg

So I'm on the lookout for something that will fit, & I've always been partial to arrowhead markers.
IMG_0322.JPG

These tips were measured by the seller to be 18mm but I think they were just eyeballing with a ruler. I haven't put a mic on them yet but they are at least 19mm, it may even take a 20mm. I don't want to file them down to fit. So my 1960's Omega Seamaster won't work.

View attachment 431777

So I'm on the lookout for something that will fit, & I've always been partial to arrowhead markers.
View attachment 431778
For 19mm or 20mm you really start getting into dive watch or more modern territory. My Tag watches are 20mm

Happy Juneteenth. Today I pulled out two favorite pieces to wear together. The large ring is crafted to display a fine green turquoise stone, likely from the Cerrillos mine. It is signed with the stylized initials used by Sam Roanhorse.

The bracelet is marked only with the horned sun stamp of the Navajo Arts and Crafts Guild. The file and chisel work on this cuff is beautifully done - perhaps the work of the Guild's first director and Sam Roanhorse's older brother Ambrose Roanhorse, though there is no way to know. Many early Guild pieces display fine silversmithing with modernist influence and little use of turquoise adornment. They were not signed by the artist. I've seen this alternating file motif used in other bracelets from time to time, but never with the degree of refinement displayed in this piece.

Old purchases previously posted... I hope you enjoy seeing them again.

2roanhorses1.jpg

2roanhorses2.jpg

2roanhorses3.jpg

I don't wear this belt too often but when I do I am always struck by what a wonderful piece it is. The work of Hopi silversmith Morris Robinson (Talawytewa) who lived from 1900 - 1987. I've not tried to date the tooled leather belt, but the side stamped pieces are fastened to it with rawhide ties which leads me to think it might have been the original belt for the ranger pieces. But of course it might be newer.

robinson_belt2.jpg

robinson_belt1.jpg

Thanks Alan.

View attachment 455130 View attachment 455131

Any idea which of the Begays this could be? Haven't turned up anything with this particular hallmark. It's sterling but not marked so makes me think it might be an older piece. Found this at the flea market this weekend.
There are so many silversmiths working with that name... I have only followed the work of Kenneth Begay (1913-1977) and his long history with the White Hogan in Scottsdale. His hallmark is a distinctive KB set into an incised square. His son, Harvey Begay (1939-2009) used a similar design with his initials HB. Looks like a handsome polished Cerillos turquoise cabochon, maybe 1970+? Just a guess. I'll take a look through books at home to see if the hallmark is identifiable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112