Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tutorials on "How to Bash" ?

Barb

One of the Regulars
I would really appreciate it if folks could post some links to tutorials on how to bash. Preferably with pictures and step by step instructions.

As a real newbie rookie, I want to read up before the Federation I ordered last night arrives.

Thanks in advance,
Barb

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
There's a lot already here
A lot of the technique for bashing depends on the felt. Some you need to steam first, some you can do dry.

fatwoul

Practically Family
HatsDirect have their own tutorial for bashing a Federation on their website. Dinerman has a "5 second bash" video he showed on here recently which is quite nifty but probably wouldn't work on a Federation cos the felt is stiffer than his Borsalino.

Personally, I think the best bashes I have seen have been those people just kinda found for themselves.

I'd say avoid tutorials, and instead look around for bashes that you like the look of, while you wait for your Fed. When it arrives, just play around with it. A Federation can take a lot of messing about - mine went through a couple of bashes before I settled on the one it has now, and it really doesn't do them any harm. Feds tend to be quite stiff, so you might even find that a couple of false starts actually helps the felt soften up a little, and working with the felt you quickly figure out how to get what shapes.

The single best thing I've learned is to hold shapes in with small creases where they are needed, rather than creasing left right and centre.

Just put bashes in, try the hat on and see how it looks.

Barb

One of the Regulars
Could not find the tutorial on Hats Direct

I know they include simple instructions WITH the hat, but I could not find anything on the site itself. I'd already viewed the 5 second video. I can't believe it is that easy :D

It does sound like I can experiment and "play around" until I find the look that works for me. I guess uniqueness can be cool.

fatwoul said:
HatsDirect have their own tutorial for bashing a Federation on their website. Dinerman has a "5 second bash" video he showed on here recently which is quite nifty but probably wouldn't work on a Federation cos the felt is stiffer than his Borsalino.

Personally, I think the best bashes I have seen have been those people just kinda found for themselves.

I'd say avoid tutorials, and instead look around for bashes that you like the look of, while you wait for your Fed. When it arrives, just play around with it. A Federation can take a lot of messing about - mine went through a couple of bashes before I settled on the one it has now, and it really doesn't do them any harm. Feds tend to be quite stiff, so you might even find that a couple of false starts actually helps the felt soften up a little, and working with the felt you quickly figure out how to get what shapes.

The single best thing I've learned is to hold shapes in with small creases where they are needed, rather than creasing left right and centre.

Just put bashes in, try the hat on and see how it looks.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Barb said:
I know they include simple instructions WITH the hat, but I could not find anything on the site itself. I'd already viewed the 5 second video. I can't believe it is that easy :D

Not wishing to detract from the work of those on this forum, but once you get the hang of it, bashing is fairly easy. Afterall, if it was really difficult, hats wouldn't have been offered open crown to the public back when hats were still the norm.

Barb said:
It does sound like I can experiment and "play around" until I find the look that works for me. I guess uniqueness can be cool.

Absolutely. Not only uniqueness, but imperfection - Look at any of the pictures of Johnny Depp that DanielJones has posted to see how that can be true.

When I started bashing, I would strive for symmetry and perfection and end up disappointed. Now I understand things better: the flaws - the wonky pinches and dents - are what personalise a hat. If someone asked I could probably point out half a dozen things that are "wrong" with the way I bashed it, but I wouldn't have my Federation any other way.

indycop said:
When you get it how you want it then you can use some distilled water to lock it in.

Good tip from ic.

Barb

One of the Regulars
What do you do with the distilled water?

Pour it on? Use a sponge? A spray bottle? I'm a real newbie.

thanks,
Barb

indycop said:
When you get it how you want it then you can use some distilled water to lock it in.

Barb

One of the Regulars
So I guess I have to figure out

What distilled water is and where to get it. Or how to make it myself (as well as how to apply it to the hat).

Yes, I agree that imperfection, as well as uniqueness, adds to the elegance of the pictures I've seen posted.

I wish hats were the norm today. They are soooo very classy. It's amazing the self assurance and sense of style that exudes from both men and women who wear hats for "fashion" today.

fatwoul said:
Not wishing to detract from the work of those on this forum, but once you get the hang of it, bashing is fairly easy. Afterall, if it was really difficult, hats wouldn't have been offered open crown to the public back when hats were still the norm.

Absolutely. Not only uniqueness, but imperfection - Look at any of the pictures of Johnny Depp that DanielJones has posted to see how that can be true.

When I started bashing, I would strive for symmetry and perfection and end up disappointed. Now I understand things better: the flaws - the wonky pinches and dents - are what personalise a hat. If someone asked I could probably point out half a dozen things that are "wrong" with the way I bashed it, but I wouldn't have my Federation any other way.

Good tip from ic.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Barb, it depends on how extensively you want to re-bash, and how hard the felt is to work. Water, plus heat, will ususally do the job. I baptize all my hats when I re-work them. That means they get wet all through, then after shaping I wear them to set the size, or place them on soemthing to let them dry. I use steam for tweaking a bash, a pinch, a brim curl, here and there.

dean

carter

I'll Lock Up
Barb said:
What distilled water is and where to get it. Or how to make it myself (as well as how to apply it to the hat).

Yes, I agree that imperfection, as well as uniqueness, adds to the elegance of the pictures I've seen posted.

I wish hats were the norm today. They are soooo very classy. It's amazing the self assurance and sense of style that exudes from both men and women who wear hats for "fashion" today.

You can purchase distilled water in most grocery stores. If you don't have a spray bottle, they sell those too.

For a terrific imperfect bash, see John Wayne's hat in Stagecoach.

Barb

One of the Regulars
Spray bottles I have

Not so sure I've noticed distilled water in our local grocerys, but will look. In any event, Hats Direct wrote that they were out of 59cm and it would be 3 weeks <groan>.

carter said:
You can purchase distilled water in most grocery stores. If you don't have a spray bottle, they sell those too.

For a terrific imperfect bash, see John Wayne's hat in Stagecoach.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Barb said:
Not so sure I've noticed distilled water in our local grocerys, but will look. In any event, Hats Direct wrote that they were out of 59cm and it would be 3 weeks <groan>.

I had the same thing with my 58 from them. Didn't take long for them to get their new stock in. Don't worry. :)

Barb

One of the Regulars
Hope you are right

In any case, I did reply and ask if they had stock in any other colors as well.

fatwoul said:
I had the same thing with my 58 from them. Didn't take long for them to get their new stock in. Don't worry. :)

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RBH said:
Do you do like us Methodist, and sprinkle them?
Or do you dunk 'em?
:D

what was I thinking... you dunk them.:D

Hats? Under running hot water. Babies, and adults? From the font, "sprinkled" for want of better term, I usually "apply" the water from my hand.;)

dean

MikeS

New in Town
fatwoul said:
This is some of the best advise yet. Keep an eye out for bashes in classic movies or old photos. Chances are you will see more imperfect bashes & brims than anything else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou