Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tweed dresses places to go in London

SkanningenLars

New in Town
Dear Sirs,

Shortly going to London, bringing my 20 years old son. It is time for his first tweed two - piece.

Assuming he does not want neither the most classic green or brown color palettes, nor the most glaring colors, and anywhere on the scale Peet-a-porter to more or less bespoke is ok, where should we go?

Ideal would be: A cut that is contemporary but brings thought of classic. Possibly gray herring-bone. Quality and weight for traveling in style, but frequently in Scandinavian countries.

Thx for any advice. @Moderator : I believe this post is of general but also temporary interest, since the world is slowly opening up post Corona. General advice on the Internet does not take that into account.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Cordings are famous for their tweeds. An internet search will bring up names like: Gieves & Hawkes, Carnaby. Alexander McQueen. Paul Smith. Boxpark. Burberry Flagship. Marks and Spencer Flagship.
But I would recommend a bespoke tweed, a made to measure one. You won't find a more talented tailor than George Dyer. He trades as Threadneedleman.
187a Walworth Road, London, SE17 1RW Tel: 020 7701 9181

Edward

Bartender
Yes, a good herring bone is a place to start. Cordings are excellent for off the peg countrywear, if not cheap. I have also had excellent tweed jackets from Roderick Charles (various branches, though Jermyn Street is the one I prefer). I suspect most places that do a full tweed suit rather than the tweed jacket to be worn with corduroys or moleskins are going to be on the pricier side.

Peter Christian do a nice range of tweed suits with a cut that to my eye could pass for mid-late fifties into the early 60s - https://www.peterchristian.co.uk/suits/tweed-suits/ £400-£500 for three pieces, about another £150 for a second pair of trousers. I have my eye on dabbling with one or two of those in time to come. They don't have a London store, though - they're based in East Sussex and are primarily a web business, not sure if they have a premises as can be visited. Worth a look if they do, though.

Simonjamescathcart.com could be worth contacting - primarily a web business, but they do have a premises in London. They have some very nice PoW check in the collection, not sure what else is coming soon. The pricier end of their stuff (just under a grand for three pieces with a spare pair of trews - closer £600 for two pieces) is all now made in England, if that's something you're particularly keen on. Simon is very particular about the details, his main house style is 20s/30s, though as you'll see from the website while he doesn't compromise on the period details, they can be dressed to a much more contemporary feel if that's what's desired. Good guy, Simon - used to frequent these parts but I don't think he has much free time these days with the label taking off.

Wolf99

New in Town
I would also add Walker Slater (who have a London bricks and mortar shop) into the mix. They seem decent quality and their suits are fairly classic but contemporary enough that they don’t look dated. Price-wise, they are not too bad - certainly less expensive than Cordings!
https://www.walkerslater.com/

Edward

Bartender
I would also add Walker Slater (who have a London bricks and mortar shop) into the mix. They seem decent quality and their suits are fairly classic but contemporary enough that they don’t look dated. Price-wise, they are not too bad - certainly less expensive than Cordings!
https://www.walkerslater.com/

WS do very nice stuff if you like the fit. For me, their trousers are a touch too narrow and a touch too low slung in the rise, but that's to personal taste, of course. For the top half, they are wonderful, and certainly great quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider