Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tweed J.C. Penney sport coat with bi-swing

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice blue tweed with some flecks. The Bi-Swing shoulders are not mentioned in the description that's why I posted it here. No beltback though but I still think it is a nice feature.
Could be a 40 but the arms are too short for monkey-me.

ebay

SteveAS

Practically Family
Very nice, thanks! The measurements should work well for me (though it's a bit shorter in body length than I'd like).

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Very interesting, it's rare to see shoulder pleats without the belt. And I don't see the pleats on the inside view, they much be pretty short to be covered by the back lining.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, very short and subtle. At first I wasn't even sure if they are there. I wonder if they still make a difference at this size?

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Very interesting, it's rare to see shoulder pleats without the belt.

One of my favourite sport coats in my collection is a 1950's German tweed jacket with bi-swing back - sans the belt. Somehow it doesn't really look too 50's to me. It actually reminds me of some 2-button jackets from the 30's I've seen.

I have another 50's German sport coat of virtually the same construction in some sort of beige houndstooth pattern that's too big for me (42-43" chest). According to some sources these jackets weren't all that rare in 1950's Germany - but they are indeed very hard to find these days.

This is the (Fender) tweed version:

1950%27s-German-Tweed-Sport-Coat-With-Bi-Swing-Back.jpg

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I think I've seen this before... ;)

Funnily enough, shoulder gussets on German jackets never really surfaced before the 50's. German army officials during WWII sneered at the US army as it was issuing jackets (with bi-swing back) to its soldiers that resembled loose fitting golf clothes...

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Mario, does that brown jacket have a full lining, or a partial lining? I'm very interested in ways of anchoring the pleats on jackets without the belts. I have a photo of one that was posted on the Lounge where they are left free on the inside, but I believe this was not the prefered method.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I'm very sorry to say so but there's a full lining hiding the interior. It might become necesary in the future to replace major portions of the lining as the original has been patched in various places and there are still some tears left. I'd be very interested myself to see how the jacket is constructed.

SteveAS

Practically Family
Thanks for the kind words, gents! I'll be sure to post photos when it arrives. From the written description, "sort of a grey blue color with multicolored flecks," I'm guessing it's considerably less blue than it appears in the photos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner