Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tweed taking over today's fashion: old news?

Lenore

Practically Family
Flitcraft said:
Where I live, most people would choose death by lethal injection before dressing nicely for any occasion...you should see what people wear to the local WalMart... and speaking of odor...let's not even start on uh, err "relaxed" personal hygiene standards.

You know, for the multicultural and personality conscious city that Houston is... I'm going to have to agree with you. Sometimes it's just down right frightening... and speaking of walmart, have you see the people of walmart website? I'm always in line next to these people...

Edited to Add: I would have linked to it... but some of the people dressed in public would NOT meet the modesty restrictions of the Lounge... I think that really sums it up.

Geesie

Practically Family
Brad Bowers said:
Wow, I guess I'm a hipster now for wearing a Derby.lol

Brad

The pertinent question is, "will you be wearing it next year?"
That is the difference between a trend follower and one who (for better or worse - think of mullets and muscle shirts) just chooses a look he likes.

I've been wearing bow ties since high school because I like them and will continue to do so whatever the vagaries of fashion say.

I've worn Converse All-Stars since the 1st grade and they've been in and out of style a few times since then. I was "hip" at those times, I guess. Funny story - yesterday I had the Converse on and a cardigan. Someone complimented me on my "vintage Kurt Cobain" look.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
The NY Times. Where else can you get ignorance and stupidity so seamlessly packaged together with self-importance without any any bothersome humility?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Richard Warren said:
The NY Times. Where else can you get ignorance and stupidity packaged so seamlessly together self-importance without any bothersome humility?

You'll enjoy this:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ENu_06t9xl4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ENu_06t9xl4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

pgoat

One Too Many
we did a tweed ride here the other day - only managed to drum up three people including me! Here's the organizer:

IMG_6063.jpg

pgoat

One Too Many
Richard Warren said:
The NY Times. Where else can you get ignorance and stupidity packaged so seamlessly together self-importance without any bothersome humility?
what happened to "no Politics?"[huh]

fwiw, the dude pictured rides around like that all the time - he's done tweed rides in other cities and was trying to bring some class to us yobs in our neck of the woods...was sad to see so few takers, but we're doing some more rides of this type in future.

Alexi

One of the Regulars
ehhh most of that style has been going on for the last 10 years (at least) in Boston and NY.

we've got tweed rides up here as well.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Lenore said:
have you see the people of walmart website? I'm always in line next to these people...

Edited to Add: I would have linked to it... but some of the people dressed in public would NOT meet the modesty restrictions of the Lounge... I think that really sums it up.

Yes, I've seen it. It's like a train wreck that I can't stop looking at.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
I've looked at the Times article, and I've looked at the parody (but have never seen the ad it takes off on). The 92YTribeca crew made a valiant effort, but the Times article is just funnier.

Geesie

Practically Family
Funny I should read this thread again. I wanted to get a tweed sport coat for the cooler (relatively) months and none of the department stores (Penny's, Sears, Macy's, Dillards) in my price range carry a single tweed jacket.

I guess it is not taking over today's fashion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21