Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Twilight

Rockapin-up

A-List Customer
It's a teenage fantasy love story people lighten up, there has to be some cheesynes to it lol. I for one loved the books (even tho i'm not a teen lol) and I walked into the movie with low expectations and ended up leaving very pleased. Am looking forward to the sequal :p :D

Inky

One Too Many
I went with my 12 year old niece, having not read the books and only knew it was a teen vampire story.

It was fine, entertaining enough and nothing more than what it is, a teen vampire story. Some parts were high on the cheese factor and some things were funny enough for a giggle. The most annoying were the flocks of pre-teen and teen girls in the audience, two of whom got a stern "please be quiet and respectful of others" comment from me, which they gladly honored (woohoo for the scary old tattooed lady!).

Vanessa

One Too Many
It seems like every 'modern' vampire movie/tv show needs to have a scene where they debunk most of the myths and then confirm one minor one.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
"acquired" (cough) the first half and wasn't really interested enough to seek out the rest. It's no True Blood, that's for sure.

That being said, if the ticket sales mean a feature-length Buffy movie, I'm there with bells on. But you guys knew that already:rolleyes:

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
Yay, another Buffy fan! :eusa_clap

I saw Twilight last Friday with my husband (it was my birthday and he was humoring me) even though I haven't read the books. A co-worker has been after me for months to read them, but I just haven't been interested for some reason (and I LOVE stuff like this normally). A vampire falls in love with a human? Been there, done that already with Buffy and Angel and nothing else could possibly hold a candle to that, imo.

That being said, though, the trailers for the movie intrigued me enough to go see it. I thought it just OK. After the movie I picked up the first book (cheap paperback only!) with the intention of starting it, hoping some of the holes in the movie would make sense upon reading it. Well, it's now Wednesday and I still haven't opened it yet. I'll probably read it eventually but I'm not burning with desire to do so. [huh]

anabolina

A-List Customer
Wow, I'd pretty much forgotten about this topic. The movie did inspire me to read the books and I liked them, they aren't classic lit, but they aren't boring and are quick reads. I do appreciate a quick read. I also hope no teens read the books and try to model their relationships on Bella and Edwards. Talk about disfunction.

My comments should be taken from the context of someone who normally hates all vampire stuff. Hated Buffy (although I liked the original movie), all the Anne Rice stuff, and this is definitely one of the few vampire movies I would ever rewatch. In fact, I think I've seen it 3 times with various friends and family. I think it helps that its been such a communal experience with just about every woman I know watching it and talking about it.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
It certainly struck a chord with a lot of people. Maybe women want men to take a more active role in relationships. [huh]

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
I had to see this because my girlfriend loves this series. It's one of the worst movies I've ever watched in a theatre.

WinoJunko

One of the Regulars
I've never read the books or seen the film so this is an opinion thats coming from what I've gathered about them. That being said, I think I would hate them. It seems like its just another thing for the mindless masses to latch on to. I'll take The Lord Of The Rings over this Twilight crap any day!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
WinoJunko said:
I've never read the books or seen the film so this is an opinion thats coming from what I've gathered about them. That being said, I think I would hate them. It seems like its just another thing for the mindless masses to latch on to. I'll take The Lord Of The Rings over this Twilight crap any day!

Here is the thing..... Some of us can like -both- ...variety is the spice of life.
And not all my amusements need to be intellectual or even intelligent.

And that does not make me the 'mindless masses' or unintelligent as a person, it simply means I enjoy a variety of things.

and for every interest I have that other people think is crazy, nutty, geeky and just plain unfathomable, they have one that I feel the same way about. and I refrain from giving them a hassle over their -zany- stuff, in hopes that tolerance goes both ways.

miss_elise

Practically Family
i made the mistake of buying it because several of my friends enjoyed it so much that they keep raving about it...

i'm raving about it but for completely different reasons... what a waste of money... i really could have better spent that money on anything... a colonoscopy would have been a better spend

WinoJunko

One of the Regulars
Miss Neecerie said:
Here is the thing..... Some of us can like -both- ...variety is the spice of life.
And not all my amusements need to be intellectual or even intelligent.

And that does not make me the 'mindless masses' or unintelligent as a person, it simply means I enjoy a variety of things.

and for every interest I have that other people think is crazy, nutty, geeky and just plain unfathomable, they have one that I feel the same way about. and I refrain from giving them a hassle over their -zany- stuff, in hopes that tolerance goes both ways.

Hey, you're entitled to have your opinion and I'm entitled to have mine. I just happen to think its a bunch of crap. If you like it, then good for you. I'm sure that lots of things I like people will think its a bunch of crap. But that doesn't bother me because I like it and thats what matters.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I enjoyed the film for the visuals. most of the areas that they filmed at I've been to. The part where they are up in the tree is on the Columbia River just west of Beacon Rock (that can be see in the background), the beach area is First Beach at La Push. So it is neat to see these areas. I have to say that the house didn't remotely resemble the description in the book, too bad since that house had so much character. The books I liked because they offered a different interpretation of the preconceived idea of the movie myth of vampires. Its a bunch of fun and fluff. Yes I think they could have done better with the film for sure, but alas, it is not our story or vision so we get what we get. Enjoyed it for the visuals & landscape but the story in the film could have been so much more. Maybe they'll do better with New Moon.

Like it or hate it, it makes no nevermind, to each their own. ;)

Cheers!

Dan

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
I have never read the books or seen the movie but I am in a drama class at my high school and there are two guys and the rest of our class is girls. At first I was patting myself on the back praising god for the fact that German had no open slots but my rejoicing has turned to weeping, this entire year has turned into one long debate over the books and has ruined fourth period forever and has ruined any chance of me ever seeing the movie or reading the books.

I get chills just thinking about how often a fight is started over whether Edward's a stalker or sexy then someone else always points out that he could be both :eek: blech. :eek:fftopic:
sorry, this seemed like a good place to rant

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
Although I have not seen it there was some back and forth about how the genre of Vampire story and movie changes the rules about vampires regularly.

very true, the whole burning up in sunlight Mytho is a big one because in the original dracula he walks through a London street in daylight and in Nosferatu ( the classic illegal version of dracula which was ordered destroyed after a snafu with bram stoker's estate) he burns up in daylight at the end and this has been changed depending on the book/movie/series ever since. Also modernly the idea of the cross holding power or inflicting pain on vampires is changed a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou