Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Twilight

Spiffy

A-List Customer
miss_elise said:
i made the mistake of buying it because several of my friends enjoyed it so much that they keep raving about it...

i'm raving about it but for completely different reasons... what a waste of money... i really could have better spent that money on anything... a colonoscopy would have been a better spend

Egads! You could have purchased an entire volume of Buffy:Season 8 comics instead and been a much more satisfied customer!

Feraud

Bartender
miss_elise said:
i'm raving about it but for completely different reasons... what a waste of money... i really could have better spent that money on anything... a colonoscopy would have been a better spend
Funny... yet true! lol

bobalooba said:
whether Edward's a stalker or sexy then someone else always points out that he could be both
Get some romantic comedies and romance type movies from the 30's thru the 70's. A lot of what was considered romantic and courting back then would get you locked up today after she got the injunction with the judge.

Times have changed and not always for the better.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
If you're a guy, it's romantic. If you've never had someone try to control you, it's romantic. If you don't fall into either of those categories, it's creepy.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
But here is the thing...

Dracula....who is ALSO a VAMPIRE....did all the same 'creepy watching the girl sleep' controlling stuff...

This is where people keep conveniently forgetting that this is a VAMPIRE story.

Expecting a VAMPIRE to model good HUMAN behavior.....yea....that way lies futility.

As to the whole slew of 'its such a bad example of a good bf, he stalks her and so forth, and disables her car, and she has no plan past getting turned into a vampire to be with her love, how un-strong female this all is' stuff..... Can to me all be summed up quite well in the 'He is a vampire. Vampires do creeptacular things, and he is by no means the -first- vampire to stalk someone and watch them in their room while they sleep. Not by a freaking long shot. So Edward -battles- with his nature, that does not mean it does not exist, and so he does the -same- creepy vampire things that so many before have, meddling with the lives of those they -wanted-. Just because Edward's wanting is not just the dinner snack sort of wanting does not really change that. So I rather spectacularly -fail- to see how a vampire, scary or not, is somehow -illustrating- human bf behavior to people reading the books.

This is a fantasy novel. Trust me, -most- of the girls screaming their heads off for the stars of the film, do actually realize this fact, ,just like I realised that John Taylor from Duran Duran was not -really- going to find me in California and fall madly in love with my 12 year old self. This did -not- stop me from wishing with all of my little girl heart that he would do precisely that. So I rather spectacularly -fail- to see how a vampire, scary or not, is somehow -illustrating- human bf behavior to people reading the books.

Vanessa

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
just like I realised that John Taylor from Duran Duran was not -really- going to find me in California and fall madly in love with my 12 year old self.

That's because he was in Chicago. . .

Wait, what were we talking about again? Fantasy books made into teenage blockbuster movies?

In the future parents will be matched by genetic analysis to avoid im-perfect children.

Women will be in vitroed and will need not be subjected to men at all.

Men will be placed in a facility and bred for pleasing atributes but kept apart from female society.

Apes will be trained to perform household cleaning duties, and we'll all be euthanized at 30 years old unless you "Renew" then your body will be used to make soylant green.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
In the future parents will be matched by genetic analysis to avoid im-perfect children.

Women will be in vitroed and will need not be subjected to men at all.

Men will be placed in a facility and bred for pleasing atributes but kept apart from female society.

Apes will be trained to perform household cleaning duties, and we'll all be euthanized at 30 years old unless you "Renew" then your body will be used to make soylant green.

and this has to do with -this- movie -how-?

General non personal note:

Seriously....people have said this in other threads.(like the which gangster would you be)..so i am going to say it here.....

If you don't like Twilight, fine, move along to another thread instead of coming in a thread -just- to tell people its crap.

I just don't get why its fun or productive or whatever to do that.....

So delete it. The discussion included the actions and interactions of the protaginosts. I was commenting on how over time the conditions as to how men and women interact has changed in the last 30 some years. It was mentioned as to strong & not strong women react. And how gastley men are in trying to control women in their attempts to have a relationship. I merely extrapelated out what the future holds with a few nods to other films that expouse future society scenarios.

Perhaps this need to be in a girls only section.

Miss Neecerie said:
and this has to do with -this- movie -how-?

Seriously....people have said this in other threads.(like the which gangster would you be)..so i am going to say it here.....

If you don't like Twilight, fine, move along to another thread instead of coming in a thread -just- to tell people its crap.

Miss Neecerie said:

The exchange of ideas and likes and dislikes will always bring in disent and opposing voices. It is the exchange of such ideas that helps people understand one another. Now if someone just says it's tripe that is not good, but if someone takes apart the film and exposes their take on why it fails in their eyes that helps evryone else to understand another view point.

So that is the real question if you do like it or don't putting words to describe how you arrived at your stance is the core, why do you or don't you like it.

Conversation doesn't always stay on track and often people make a point by bringing in "analogies" from other areas that may not make sense to all.

Better to have clarity than agreement. - Praeger.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Exactly...

i have no problem with actual discussion of the -actual- film and books.

But to be honest....quite a lot of this discussion has been by folks who said things like

I have never read the books or seen the movie......

Although I have not seen it there was some back and forth about how the genre of Vampire story and movie changes the rules about vampires regularly.

and

I've never read the books or seen the film so this is an opinion thats coming from what I've gathered about them.

So, just like I would not go into a thread about Star Trek movie and say it sucks, with not having actually seen the film.......I find it funny that this particular series inspires people who have not even -read or seen for themselves-.....to express that sort of negative opinion...and thing that it is the same as an -actual- discussion of the merits or demerits of the series.

So when did you see the film....? ;)

Miss Neecerie said:
Exactly...

i have no problem with actual discussion of the -actual- film and books.

But to be honest....quite a lot of this discussion has been by folks who said things like

I have never read the books or seen the movie......

and

I've never read the books or seen the film so this is an opinion thats coming from what I've gathered about them.

So, just like I would not go into a thread about Star Trek movie and say it sucks, with not having actually seen the film.......I find it funny that this particular series inspires people who have not even -read or seen for themselves-.....to express that sort of negative opinion...and thing that it is the same as an -actual- discussion of the merits or demerits of the series.
You might say the same as to the hows and whys of the way people vote.

In the discussion that has been posted here people address concepts that are common to things or ideas such as how the genre is approached. I asked as to how the "Rules" for vampires gets adhered to or broken at the whim of the makers to support the film. Vampire film purists may be aghast that the firm and fast have been hedged. Just as purists in other genres get reactionary to changes the they see as against what they hold to. It happens and people react. Of course best source is the film and to in actuallity reserve complete judgement until seen is also best. But discussion about failings or triumphs as related by those that have seen it is a lot like taking a movie reviewers word on a film. There are reviewers that I know if they hated something there is a good chance I'll like it after hearing or reading their comments.

I have neither condemned nor exaulted this film but have been entertained by the comments here, greatly.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I have neither seen the movie nor read the books. I am, however, interested in having apes clean my home and would like to know more about how to get started on this. If anyone has further information on where I might obtain a properly trained monkey butler, I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

;)

irb

Familiar Face
I suspect that anyone going in to see Twilight and expecting Citizen Kane is rightly deprived of their $12. However, sometimes campish stuff like this can be a lot of fun. I wouldn't call the Fast and Furious movies great cinema either, and I went into them expecting to be bored stiff by dreck; but a bit of an open mind and I was surprised to have liked them for what they are.

Anyway, I vote for keeping the thread positive and someone--anyone-- coming up with my darn monkey-butler.

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
Get some romantic comedies and romance type movies from the 30's thru the 70's. A lot of what was considered romantic and courting back then would get you locked up today after she got the injunction with the judge.

Times have changed and not always for the better.

it's also a question of who you are, I saw a short indy film a while back that showed two different guys and two different girls in the same enviroment. Both men did the same things to the girl (singing to her, literally sweeping her off her feet etc.) at the end of the movie one man was shown walking toward a church for his wedding and the other was shown being led to a police car.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Honestly, I went into this film having read the books (or as many as has been published at the time) and having, previously, enjoyed the director's work. What I got was a muddled studio-hash of both, which seems to have alienated anyone who didn't go to the film either a die-hard Twilight fan or soley based on casting.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Well, overall, I enjoyed the film. I have seen it twice now at home after my wife purchased the DVD (listened to the commentary too, 'cause I do that sort of thing).

I didn't get the impression that the movie was much of a romance or had much of a romantic strain running throughout. In fact, the bits where they say things like "I don't think I can stay away from you any more", "Then don't!" (not exact quotes, but you know the scene I'm talking about), are easily the worst. And, my wife (who has read the Twilight series) informs me that those bits are actually rather like the book.

Still, dialogue that you could see coming from 18.2 miles away put aside, I thought the film was pretty fun. Edward's treatment of Bella almost like a personal narcotic (as he says) is kinda creepy, but also fascinating. He can't "read" her, and she "smells" interesting to him. This fascinates and perplexes him.

Also, we have to admit, Bella is a rather submissive female in this first movie while Edward is a creature of "darkness", although severely tamed down from the good old vampire mytho's of the "day" (which, I admit, is fairly terrifying).

Wow, I have rambled. I can wait to see the next film (New Moon, I think), but I will be happy when it comes out on DVD, my wife purchases said DVD, and I watch it with her.:)

Pilgrim

One Too Many
My 21-year-old daughter absolutely loved the books, but hated the movie. She said they did such a poor job of interpreting the books that it almost put her off ever reading the books again. I was surprised to hear it.

Temeti

New in Town
yeah i walked into that one seriously miss informed. I wanted a REAL vampire movie and got sparkles. I spent the whole movie thinking 'will you hurry up and bite her!'. and probably wont read the books now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats