Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Twilight

Troglodyte

Familiar Face
Baseball

The "Vampire Baseball" scene was pretty cool, and the way the pitcher tossed that baseball was HOT!

Trog

pretty faythe

One Too Many
i saw the movie, wasnt really all that bad. Her writing, yes. I've been reading for ever so I couldnt read the book because her writing is soooo slow. But my 16 year old loved the books and read them excedingly fast. Which is the demographic of the books.

The only thing that really annoyed me is that the vampires sparkled. lol.
angel.jpg

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Temeti said:
yeah i walked into that one seriously miss informed. I wanted a REAL vampire movie and got sparkles. I spent the whole movie thinking 'will you hurry up and bite her!'. and probably wont read the books now.

Now, what you need is True Blood. Lots of messy vampire-biting and drug use and sex and all the lovely things that HBO gifts us with. Plus the vampires *explode* when you stake them. Like a shrinking waterballoon filled with blood bursting all over innocent bystanders.

I too, was disappointed with the lack of vampire-ness in a so-called "vampire romance." While I still admire Catherine Hardwicke as a director, I'm sure that the studio (Summit) had more of a say in the interpretation of novel-to-film than she did. I think the fault might have been a somewhat slavish interpretation of the source material. But that's just me, being geeky and thinking about it too much.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
I can't even remember how this conversation started.
All you need to know, my friend, is that the war between Whedonites and Twilighters is fierce in this thread.

Inky

One Too Many
Spiffy said:
Now, what you need is True Blood.

:eek:fftopic: Amen to that Spiffy! No sparklies and lots of violent vampire action. I love that show and it's the only reason I kept HBO this year. The Season 2/Episode 1 was GREAT - I've watched it three times this week and I don't usually do that (though, I admit, I fast forward to the good parts. Oh, Mr. DVR, how I love you.)

Temeti

New in Town
Spiffy said:
Now, what you need is True Blood. Lots of messy vampire-biting and drug use and sex and all the lovely things that HBO gifts us with. Plus the vampires *explode* when you stake them. Like a shrinking waterballoon filled with blood bursting all over innocent bystanders.

Thanks for that, i havent really looked into true blood but i'll give it a go. sounds like what vampires should be

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Read the first few chapters aloud to my daughters Saturday, and we watched the film last night. I kinda liked it. Being around teenaged girls a lot kind of frees your mind to see it through their eyes.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
And now I am almost through Breaking Dawn. I've read all four, plus the weirdly pirated-then-distributed, unpublished "fifth" book. Whether they're well-written or not takes a backseat, for me, to the story. I wasn't expecting Anne Rice. (After the first three twilight books, I stopped and read Interview With the Vampire just to get an immersion in the more traditional version :))

It has been a nice extra way to connect with my daughters. And I love vampiric lore.

{Aside: I recently read an interview in which Angelina Jolie was called out: "She looks the same as she did in Tomb Raider. She never ages. She is obviously a 900 year old vampire."}

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
I happen to really enjoy vampire lore in it's various incarnations from Bram Stoker's Dracula up to the Charlaine Harris books. My boyfriend and I saw Twilight for that reason. Plus we wanted to see what the fuss was about. being well over 30 years of age we went in fully knowing we weren't the target audience. We thought it was just ok but took it for what it was: a probable subpar film adaptation of story better told in its printed form. The second half was better than the first half.

I probably won't read the books since I find the "Young Adult Literature" classification off-putting but I will see the next movie...many weeks after it opens...after the hoopla dies down.

BlameOnMame

New in Town
I think Twilight could be putting some potentially dangerous ideas in the heads of young, impressionable girls.
They are reading this stuff and falling "madly in love" with this Edward character and thinking that he's "the perfect boyfriend".
If I had a young daughter, I would not want her thinking that "the perfect boyfriend" can stop a moving van with one hand to save your life, or that the perfect man should be someone who sneaks into your room and watches you while you sleep!

...Anyway, as far as vampires go, True Blood is WAY better.

R.A. Stewart

Familiar Face
My high-schooler likes the movies but not the books. (She takes the movies for the entertainment they are and is not going to be influenced in her eventual choice of boyfriends, I'm confident. :) ) The other day I read an excerpt from the latest novel (what is is, number 125 now?) in a review ... I can't remember it to quote it, but suffice it to say, if it was a representative sample of the writing, I completely understand why my very word-savvy daughter would rather just skip the books.*yucky*

~Rich

BlameOnMame

New in Town
R.A. Stewart said:
My high-schooler likes the movies but not the books. (She takes the movies for the entertainment they are and is not going to be influenced in her eventual choice of boyfriends, I'm confident. :) ) The other day I read an excerpt from the latest novel (what is is, number 125 now?) in a review ... I can't remember it to quote it, but suffice it to say, if it was a representative sample of the writing, I completely understand why my very word-savvy daughter would rather just skip the books.*yucky*

~Rich

Hahaha. That's probably best!

crismans

New in Town
Really, this sounds very pompous of me, but I don't intend it that way. But the author breaks quite a few writing "rules", especially concerning the use of adverbs. Most writers (and writing books) will tell you that adverbs are the devil's playthings. Don't use them or use them sparingly (yes, that's an adverb ;) ). You are supposed to reach for a stronger, more descriptive verb rather than just attach an adverb to a weak one.

Of course, I've just gotten a few short stories and a few comics published and she's rich beyond the dreams of avarice, so what do I know? lol

Lenore

Practically Family
Ghostsoldier said:
If anyone is interested, New Moon seems to be a better movie...
Rob

I'll wait for Netflix.

I've enjoyed the books on an entertainment level I would equate with good fan-fiction. (Actually, I've read better fan-fiction...) but they're a quick read and not much of a mental work out on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Great for airplane reading, which is how I read Twilight for the first time.

The Twilight movie I watched well before I read the books and thought it to be one of the worst movies I've had the displeasure of seeing. The piggy back through the trees scene wins the all time cheese award.

After reading the books though, I'm actually looking forward to what seems to be a better movie in New Moon. However, I will not go see it in theatres as I don't think my nerves could handle all the Twi-hards screaming in pleasure any moment "Jacob" appears on screen without his shirt. (Note: For all the girls looking forward to that, I have been informed that out of the 30 or so minutes he's on screen, Taylor Lautner is sans shirt for 12 of them. :rolleyes: I'd be interested but I feel like a dirty old lady for thinking naughty thoughts of a 17 year old.:eusa_doh: )

R.A. Stewart

Familiar Face
Spiffy said:
Now, what you need is True Blood. Lots of messy vampire-biting and drug use and sex and all the lovely things that HBO gifts us with. ...

Or Dracula: Dead and Loving It. "We should have put newspapers down." Classic line. lol

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
I'd take True Blood, Buffy (the series), Angel, Dracula: Dead and Loving it and many other vampire shows and movies over the Twilight Series.

I caught New Moon this past week, and it didn't draw me in like it has for so many others. And that's ok. I prefer my vampires a little older looking (as in Bill Compton), more capable of meaningful communication, with fangs and sans sparklies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran