Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TWO DOZEN VINTAGE SUITS ON EBAY

gobler

One of the Regulars
Arrgg! They all seam to be for the more, shale we say lean gentleman. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m looking for a nice vintage suit but alas not to be any of these. :cry:

Cheers,
Jeff

My husband and I are the sellers! We've just started selling on eBay to raise money for graduate school expenses. My husband Marc has been collecting vintage since 1985. Some of these suits were found by us in Santiago, Chile, where Marc lived from 1998 until June of this year. (I'm from Chile myself.)

As I mentioned in another thread, rag exporting companies export used clothing (U.S., Canadian and German) in bales to developing countries around the world. Used clothing stores in Santiago purchase the bales (which are sorted by fabric and style), open them up, steam the clothing wrapped inside, and hang them up in the shops. Chileans have no interest in vintage (except for '70s polyester), so Marc and I were able to find some choice suits, frock coats, even 1900s mens overcoats with fur collars and fur linings. (The German double-breasted suit on eBay, for instance, was found in Chile.) The amazing thing is that the rag merchants hadn't "picked" these pieces before exporting. They try to, but some vintage pieces still manage to slip through and get sent to Africa, Latin America, Eastern Europe, etc.

I kid you not: the belted back suit of your dreams just may be gathering dust in some shop in Uzbekhistan (sp?).

-- Veronica

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I have a question if you don't mind. Where it says "hem" on the pants on your auctions, do you mean the amount of extra fabric there is left at the bottom? Thus if the hem is 1 inch, you can have the pants altered to have a 1 inch longer inseam, right?

Vladimir Berkov said:
I have a question if you don't mind. Where it says "hem" on the pants on your auctions, do you mean the amount of extra fabric there is left at the bottom? Thus if the hem is 1 inch, you can have the pants altered to have a 1 inch longer inseam, right?

That's almost exactly right. Actually, you would not be able to have an inseam that's exactly 1 inch longer, because then you wouldn't leave any inseam at all. (There always has to be at least some inseam -- at least 1/4 of an inch.)

Sefton said:
with all this drool on the keyboard! :p Sadly not my size either...if these are the goods that you're selling, I'm afraid to ask about what your keeping! Good luck with the auction. Sefton

You guys are the best. I think that we all have a lot to contribute to this forum, and I really enjoy seeing what we have, be it hats, razors, radios or whatever.

Vladimir Berkov said:
I think a couple might be in my size. I wear a 39 regular/33 trouser and hopefully a doublebreasted suit with a 40 chest size might fit.

I hope so too. Even so, I think you ought to subtract 2 inches (and not just 1 inch) from the flat measurement to get the suit size. In my opinion, a jacket that, measured flat, is 42 inches around ... well, that's probably a size 40 jacket. Pants are different: a flat waist measurement of 32", for example, usually indicates a size 31 waist.

Just my 2 cents here. Hope it helps!

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I just measured myself (at least as well as one can doing it themselves) and apparently my actual chest measurement is 38". So maybe the suit with the 40" chest will work after all.

gobler

One of the Regulars
I'm looking for a 44 short with 40 inch waist, inseam 30ish, gray or brown. What are the odds I find anything?

:cheers1:
Jeff

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
I'm crossing my fingers no one else in the world is interested in that three piece belt back. I've held high bidder for awhile now, but I know how quickly auctions can change.

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
Ray,

Send me an email to: reelvisionfilms@gmail.com. I want to talk to you about something that I may have fallen into that you might really like. I check my email twenty times a day. You'll find that belt back Ray, but promise me when you do that, even when you grow out of it, you won't sell it unless you know it's going to a good home. These threads are too rare, and every day the studios are ripping holes on them and drenching them with fake blood. It hurts just thinking about it.

Regards,

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou