Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two Fedoras (Dobbs and Knox)

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Ah, so you're the one with the Dobbs Tuxedo hat up for auction! A beautiful example of the type. I knew Cavanagh and Knox made Tuxedo hats, but this is the first Dobbs I've seen.

So, from your information, this hat was purchased 1945 or later? I ask, because I've only seen that particular liner crest used in the 1920s for Dobbs. Are there numbers in the scroll on each side of the word "Dobbs," such as 620 on the left, and 244 on the right?

Thanks,

Brad

Flash Gordon

Familiar Face
Hi Brad,

A tuxedo hat! Aha! Thanks for the information! I assume it's called that because it was made to be worn with a tux, correct? I tried researching it and came up blank with Dobbs.

Yes, it does have 620 and the left and 244 on the right. Does that mean it's from the 20s?

The lining appears to be real silk, as does the black covering under the brim. Thanks so much for the information!

Flash

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
You're welcome. Yes, it's 1928 or earlier.

And yes, a tuxedo hat was meant to be worn with a tux, as an option to wearing a homburg.

And now I've probably made this hat go out of my price range!lol

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy