Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two hat etiquette questions

'spike

New in Town
This was in part spurred by the dumb comment thread. It's about keeping your hat on. I was always thought the proper way is when indoors you take your hat off. Also, I thought that unless it is cold outside, one does not wear a hat at night. I always thought these were the official rules of being proper. Is this not the case?

Edward

Bartender
I've not heard of that one either.... unless it came from a place where the local climate is warm enough to not need a hat for heat retention, and its only purpose is to keep the sun off during the day? [huh]

Over the past year and a half since I shaved my head completely, it's come to the point where i feel naked somehow if I leave the house without a hat of some sort.

'spike

New in Town
Edward said:
I've not heard of that one either.... unless it came from a place where the local climate is warm enough to not need a hat for heat retention,

Hence the unless it's cold exception. Though I guess the person I learned it from was from a warm region.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
[huh] Never heard the not wear a hat at night bit before. I learned most of my etiquette from my days in the Army. I still automatically take off my hat as I go indoors.:D

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"Over the past year and a half since I shaved my head completely, it's come to the point where i feel naked somehow if I leave the house without a hat of some sort."

Wow, I couldn't agree with this more. :D

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Edward said:
Over the past year and a half since I shaved my head completely, it's come to the point where i feel naked somehow if I leave the house without a hat of some sort.
I've kept my hair very short for almost 15 years now, and hats have become a necessity. In the winter, a good hat goes a long way towards keeping you warm. And in the summer, well, . . . Let's put it this way: My scalp only took a couple of sunburns before I decided I'd had enough of that!

Oh, and I've never heard the rule about "no hats at night," either.

Edward

Bartender
I've been very lucky and never got ten a dose of the sunburn despite having thinned for years before i went for the full shave.... definitely though that would be a serious fear. I strive to keep out of the sun as much as possible. ;)

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Imagine Sam Spade slinking out into the night without a fedora...

Imagine a lidless Bogie on the runway in the last scene of Casablanca...

No hats at night? Unimaginable...;)

Cheers,
JtL

'spike

New in Town
Well rain at night is another one of the exceptions. It's a rule I picked up from someone who worked with royalty...or at least I think I did, I'm 90% sure I did, and since he has long since passed I can't simply asked him. I figured I'd throw it out here and see if it had any weight. Then again, the reference thread here says it's ok to keep it on in public places, and I know that wasn't the case in the royal circles.

Mike in Seattle

[QUOTE='spike]Well rain at night is another one of the exceptions. It's a rule I picked up from someone who worked with royalty...[/QUOTE]

First - I've never heard either "rule" - they might be personal preference or regional things. Further - royalty's got a whole load of other protocol rules to follow. But I know I've seen pictures of Edward and George in hats in rain with people holding umbrellas over them - getting out of a car to go to the theatre or something of the sort.

And echoing Scotrace - Our information IS better!

Edward

Bartender
[QUOTE='spike]Well rain at night is another one of the exceptions. It's a rule I picked up from someone who worked with royalty...or at least I think I did, I'm 90% sure I did, and since he has long since passed I can't simply asked him. I figured I'd throw it out here and see if it had any weight. Then again, the reference thread here says it's ok to keep it on in public places, and I know that wasn't the case in the royal circles.[/QUOTE]

The royalty thing may be the key. There's all sorts of crazy "etiquette" when it comes to dealing with them, for instance, we lesser beings are supposed never to turn our backs on them (e.g. when leaving a room...) and such. Possibly the 'no hats at night rule' has something to do with deference to the crown? [huh]

Mike in Seattle

Edward said:
The royalty thing may be the key. There's all sorts of crazy "etiquette" when it comes to dealing with them, for instance, we lesser beings are supposed never to turn our backs on them (e.g. when leaving a room...) and such. Possibly the 'no hats at night rule' has something to do with deference to the crown? [huh]

Yeah, and that tiresome old "off with your head" routine... ;)

And Phil Windsor, much to Betty's consternation, always trotting out the same tired old joke about "A man's home is his castle..." ;)

OK, I'll stop now.

Edward

Bartender
Mike in Seattle said:
Yeah, and that tiresome old "off with your head" routine... ;)

And Phil Windsor, much to Betty's consternation, always trotting out the same tired old joke about "A man's home is his castle..." ;)

OK, I'll stop now.

Ah, well. Come the revolution..... ;)

Joe_Frances

New in Town
Hello all, a new guy here.

For me the only don't are: don't wear a hat indoors, and don't wear a hat when you are eating (indoors or out). I am extremely retro so I take my hat off if I am talking to a lady. Sometimes they notice, and like that I do that.

I often wear a hat at night. In the winter I need it more at night!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic