Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two Months in Africa

Scary Mc

Familiar Face
So, if you were to spend two months in Africa, traveling the length of the continent, which hat would you choose?
I have just such a trip before me, Cairo to Cape Town, completely independent, overland. I heartily welcome your suggestions.

-Gary

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I don't have one but the Akubra bushman from David Morgan would seem a good choice with the stampede string. Colby jack has one and it seemed soft but tough.

M6Classic

One of the Regulars
I made a similar trip many years ago, albeit from west to east, Dakar to Dar. My advice is to be cautious about the signals you send. What you take as style may be interpreted otherwise by the people through whose country you travel. You especially do not want to send military signals. This obtains to everything you have on display, especially your shoes.

I love fedoras and wear a fedora every day. However, I would not wear a felt fedora to Africa. Any Indiana Jones reference will be lost on just about everyone but you and you will regret it when you spend a full day sitting in the sun waiting for your bush taxi to leave.

I think that the simplest canvas hat you can find would be perfect. Try and get in some non-military color and do not wear camouflage. Also, you may want to bring more than one because you will end up giving someone your hat...trust me on this. For all of the months I was in Africa that time, I just kept buying cheap local hats at the market wherever I was.

Good luck and have a wonderful journey. I am indeed jealous and wish I was spry enough to do it again. Don't upset the colobus monkeys, you will live to regret it.

Buzz

M6Classic

One of the Regulars
Scary Mc said:
So, if you were to spend two months in Africa, traveling the length of the continent, which hat would you choose?
I have just such a trip before me, Cairo to Cape Town, completely independent, overland. I heartily welcome your suggestions.

-Gary
One more thing...

Cairo to Capetown. Overland. In two months. Ummm...I don't think so. Go on line and look up WAWA as in "West Africa..."

Buzz

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
sunny and hot?

SUN +HOT WEATHER= SUNBODY!!

I love that hat.

http://www.sunbody.com
there is a thread on here about them too. if you will be in the sun all day I highly recommend them.

oh btw, if you do decide to buy one, don't fear the open crown option, i went for it- just as easy as they claimed. soaked it under the faucet and bingo pinched it and was ready to go.

since then i have altered it numerous times to be more fedora-esque and its just as sturdy as right out of the box. great hat.

RBH

Bartender
Sounds like great fun.
I would suggest a straw, be it a panama or even a milan weave.
I might would go with the milan as it seems a tougher yet cool straw for hot weather.
Be sure to let us know what you decide on.

As for the SunBody, great hat and they hat a fedora style now with a cool looking 2 1\2 inch brim. That also just might be the ticket.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
You could take one of these just for posing for pictures....:rolleyes: ;)

P1030803_edited-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Naphtali

Practically Family
Depending upon season, think in terms of sun shade, keeping rain off spectacles, superior stampede or chin strap, and [head] ventilation. You can acquire new Stratton super dense fur felt Campaign hats for under USD40.00 (not from Stratton online, rather from third-party online vendors). Add acorn hat cord (choice of colors) and three-piece chin strap, and you have an excellent solution. The hat is offered in several colors. It has large ventilation eyelets. This is not a dress hat. It is one that will accept abnormally abusive conditions while doing what need be done.

Hope this helps.

leo

One of the Regulars
Tilley.

They are designed for the purpose. Maybe a TH4 hemp or similar model.

Bill

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
M6Classic has been there done that, so you may want to PM him to get the specifics on his rationale.

Search here for the thread "Riverina Safari-ized" and you will fine an Akubra model that has been modified with a tea-stained puggaree that is the quintessential African safari hat, one I'm sure that Stewart Granger would have loved.

Only thing I'd change is adding a chin strap attachments and a stampede string to make sure it doesn't fly over Victoria Falls. For that matter, put a chin strap on any hat that does not already come with one.

The classic Akubra Slouch--the one with the brim turned up on one side-- would be an excellent choice, but I'd leave the 3.5-inch brim down all 'round for max rain and sun protection. Then again, it's a military style, so check in with M6Classic's reasoning.

Tilley has already been mentioned, and these days you have many models from which to choose in terms of brim width and material. I've got one I've been trying to destroy for years. but it refuses to give up. Only thing is, unless a Tilley has just been starched and ironed, it's a frumpy-looking hat.

Havana

One of the Regulars
I've never traveled overland from Cairo to Capetown (and I'm not even sure that's a good idea) but I did make the journey from Cairo to Johannesburg using a variety of transport in 2003. The hat I chose to take with me was an Akubra Cattleman. I strongly recommend a hat with a 3.25" (83mm) brim to protect you from the sun and rain. My Akubra withstood the Egyptian and Sudanese sun as well as the sometimes very heavy rains in the sub-Saharan region. I cannot recommend a soft canvas hat at all. Since 2003 this same Akubra Cattleman has been my daily wear hat and has been to 5 continents including just returning from Colombia, South America last week. I wouldn't think of going abroad without it. The first two pics below are from Africa 2003 and the third is from South America last week. Same hat. Akubra's can take just about any abuse and come back for more. Please have a safe and pleasent journey. It will change your life for sure.
actionshots170.jpg

actionshots508.jpg

12-16-0917.jpg

RBH

Bartender
Blackthorn said:
I've been looking for a hat like that for a long time. Thanks, RBH, after following your link I ordered one of those. Hopefully it won't take too long to ship from France.
Be sure to let us know what you think when it get to you.
I read somewhere [here on the Lounge] about removing the cork in the liner,
to change the teardrop a little.
Good luck!

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
RBH said:
Be sure to let us know what you think when it get to you.
I read somewhere [here on the Lounge] about removing the cork in the liner,
to change the teardrop a little.
Good luck!
Thanks for that advice, RBH. That's interesting...it has a cork liner? I wasn't sure how to interpret the French language about the hat. But it reminds me a lot of the hat my dad always wore when he worked, before construction workers had to wear hard hats. I've been looking for one like that for years, and was overjoyed to see your link. I'll let you know how I like it when it arrives.

crismans

New in Town
Peter Brothers offers a very nice straw Indy fedora. That way you get the best of both worlds! :D

Have a great time on your trip, by the way. I would love to do something like this.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Pith Helmet?

Don't laugh. They work. Well.

This form of headgear is a throwback to the past, but I have a pith helmet and will tell you from first hand experience, it will protect you from whatever tropical regions can throw at you: blazing sun, drenching rain, torrential wind (they all come with a chin strap that folds up over the front brim when you're not using it), and even the occasional spear--ha!

Perhaps the best feature is the way the helmet's inner construction enables it to stay away from your head: There's an adjustable harness inside that only touches your head in a few places so that air can circulate all around to keep you cool. Soaking the whole helmet in water beforehand enhances the cooling effect. The hat is very light in weight, as well.

Village Hat Shop carries several different styles and colors of these classic helmets that are made from real pith--a type of cork. Made in Vietnam, they are very inexpensive, too, less than $50.00 last time I checked.

Warning: Once you get a pith helmet, you will want a bush jacket, a machete, and may begin to speak with a British accent.

Jolly good travels, old chap!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24