Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Type AN-H-15 summer flying helmet

maisie

Practically Family
I have recently got a AN-H-15 summer flying helmet (well thats what it says on the label, as I'm no expert!) So i was just wondering how rare these are and how much they normally sell for. This one is in mint unissued condition ans still has the label issue tag, saying how to use the helmet, attached to it.

Any help will be appriciated!:)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
AAF Summer flying helmet

Hi Maisie! The canvas summer flying helmet from WWII is still pretty common and no where as collectible as the leather flying helmets, especially the much sought after RAF 'B' type (Battle of Britain) helmet with the zipped ear cups.

Because of that, it's reflected in the price they command, which I've seen them (just the helmet) go from anywhere between £20 and £30 depending on how much someone wants them at the time, their condition and if they have any extras (like wiring, receivers.etc which bump the price up). Which is realistic for what they are. Sometimes on the Bay, they can go for more, but personally I don't think it's justified, but all manner of strange things happen there. But really they are not a big money spinner.

So, might we see you dressed up as a WASP next time we see you perhaps? in your flight overalls and A-2 flying jacket!! if so, we want plenty of pics for our gallery Maisie!!

D-Day-Doll

Familiar Face
Does it have the receivers and wiring? That would make it more valuable. The receivers themselves are going for about $80. Otherwise the AN-H-15's are going for $20-$40 at the shows I've been to lately.

maisie

Practically Family
Thanks for the info!

So, might we see you dressed up as a WASP next time we see you perhaps? in your flight overalls and A-2 flying jacket!! if so, we want plenty of pics for our gallery Maisie!!

Probably not as unfortunatly it is too small for me!:rolleyes:

maisie

Practically Family
Talking about flight helmets, today I got another one. This one is WWII British, RAF. It is the tropical issue (cotton, not leather), size 71/4 or 71/2 (not very clear) and it also has the radio and other attachments. (don't really know much about these sorts of things!!) Does anyone know what these are worth as you all seem to knw alot more than me!!

desertweasel

New in Town
Hi Maisie,

The tropical helmet is either a D type or E type, the difference being that the E is made of a mesh style fabric called aertex and the D is made of khaki cotton drill material, lined with silk, and has a crescent shaped sun guard on the rear to protect the wearer's neck. There are a couple of different versions of each, the difference between early and later versions being whether or not the wiring is 'internal' (threaded between the liner and exterior to keep the wiring out of the way) or not, and the snap fastener pattern on the cheeks (for different styles of oxygen masks).

RAF helmets were stamped with both a 22C reference number and a corresponding size range marking, ie: a Size 3 D type helmet would be stamped 22C/971 usually on the outside cheek area and SIZE 3, 7 1/8 to 7 3/8 on the inside cheek.

Worth is subjective, especially on Ebay, if the radio receivers and wiring loom are present and in good shape and appear to be original to the helmet then the value is higher.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
RAF tropical helmets

Maisie

I agree - it's probably a 'D' type, introduced in March 1942. If it is an early 'unwired' model (i.e. the comms. harness is not built in) it will have a number 22C/581 to 584 (four sizes) and satin ear cushions. If it is a later 'wired' model (introduced 1944) it will have a number 22C/969 to 972 and chamois leather ear cushions. Your number probably says 22C/(9)71/3 and if so marks it as a 1944 - 1945 wired type.

If it's in good condition and is an early model with clear markings you may get £60 to £75 for it. A leather 'C' type would be double that. Multiply these prices by three or four to give eBay values. Only joking. A bit.

desertweasel

New in Town
Could also be...

Oh, just a thought, does it have zippered leather domes which would contain the earphones? That would make it a Navy (RN/Fleet Air Arm) version of the above.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran