Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

U.S. Wings Indy jacket

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I have a vintage cowhide I got for Christmas. It fits very well and is not too heavy but not a thin cheap jacket.

PC250098-1.jpg

PC250096-1.jpg

PC250093-1.jpg

D.W. Suratt

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the help, and the pics. It's nice see someone wearing it. You can tell a lot more about the look. The size issue always worries me a little when ordering online, but it seems that where all the deals are nowadays. In think I'll give one a try when the tax refund comes. Thanks again guys

JEEP

Practically Family
I have a USW goatskin Indy, size XL:

USWings01.jpg

USWings02.jpg

USWings03.jpg

USWings04.jpg

I have had it for about a year and I am quite satisfied with the quality, fit and feel of the jacket. The goatskin is tough as nails but still nice and soft.

/Jakob

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I don't understand why your search didn't work - we have discussed these jackets quite a bit here!

I know some folks are very happy with theirs, but...

I had one briefly and was massively unimpressed with it, even as an $80 clearance item. It was decently made, but the fit was bizarre - it was an XL, but not like any other XL jacket I've ever had: It was enormous in the shoulders and upper arms (like a size 50), and long in the sleeves (like a 36), but tight at the waist (about a 40). The quality of the goatskin was okay, though the finish was very heavy. The zipper was a heavier grade than required, and seemed crude. I didn't like the feel of the synthetic lining, and worst of all, there was some kind of batting or insulation between the leather and the lining that made the jacket drape all wrong. I ended up giving it to a friend...

Disclosure: I have had a lambskin Wested Raiders jacket (with cotton lining) for several years, and I dearly love it. It's a work of art in comparison to the Wings Indy. Even with the unfavorable exchange rate, the Westeds aren't much more expensive than the Wings, and they will custom-make them to your measurements. This alone is a godsend if you don't want to deal with S-M-L-XL sizing...

FW190

New in Town
I have the Vintage distressed cowhide version and it has worn very nicely since my purchase last summer. The leather is very well made and I don't baby this thing at all. I wear it for everything and it still looks great. I usually wear a true 42R and I had to go "down" a size to a medium to get the fit I wanted. The Large runs "very Large".

Thanks

ron521

One of the Regulars
US Wings VIP "Indy-style" Adventurers Jacket

Just received this Friday....very pleased with fit, materials, details and construction. US Wings size "M" is a perfect 40, at least on my 5' 10", 175 lb frame.

USWings_1.JPG

Here is the bi-swing back, adjusting straps, and vent.

USWings_6.JPG

The lining is very tough nylon, just like the Navy-issue G1 I once owned. It glides over shirts and sweaters easily, further enhancing freedom of motion.
This lining is thick enough to be a windbreaker all by itself.
There is an inside pocket nicely bound in leather.

USWings_4.JPG

The leather is soft, but quite thick, comparable to several motorcycle jackets I own, and has a nice grain.
I chose the VIP because I wanted non-distressed cowhide leather.
US Wings offers the same jacket in "vintage" cowhide, as well as lambskin and goatskin.

USWings_5.JPG

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Best Wings I've ever seen. I want one... Are you able to tell me what it weighs? If it's 1.8 kilos or less (4 pounds) I may buy one. The cowhide looks great.

ron521

One of the Regulars
I weighed myself on my digital bathroom scales with and without the jacket.
The difference between the two measures was 4.5 pounds.
While soft, the cowhide IS pretty thick, comparable to a motorcycle jacket...which was what I was hoping for.
Hope that helps.

westinghouse

One of the Regulars
US Wings Indy Adventurer Jacket

I checked the specs for these and it seems to run a little bit big. Anybody have experience with one? I might have to go down one size. Does the leather wear nicely?

apba1166

A-List Customer
I have one. I like it a lot. I'm a 42R in a suit coat, and I have a large. It is cut a bit full, wide shoulders. I might be better off in a medium, but on the other hand I often wear it over a sweater or heavy shirt and it feels good.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Wings Indy jackets are famous for being larger, fuller, longer jackets. You may need to email them re your size just so you don't end up with a car coat by accident. And not all of theri Indy's are cut the same.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I have a US Wings leather jacket, and can vouch that it's well made and high quality. I got the "The Cockpit Type 440 (G-8) Jacket,
type440G8DETAIL.jpg
, and it's taken a beating well. The only work I've had to do on it, ironic that I should mention it, is sewing on the pocket buttons when they fell off. I did a much more thorough job than they did, and nothing short of a box cutter will get them off now, but yeah, the USWings company is my only source for leather jackets.

ron521

One of the Regulars
Over at Club Obi Wan, US Wings jackets are very popular, and have a reputation for very high quality, toughness, and durability.

I've got the Adventurer's VIP jacket in size M, and it's a perfect fit for me (size 40). Generally, the Adventurer runs toward the top of the "size range" for which it is specified.
Bear in mind that the jackets used in the 4 Indiana Jones movies were NOT even close to tailored the same, differing in many details.

The USW "Adventurer" is closest to the jacket used in "Last Crusade" or "Crystal Skull".

If you prefer the jacket from the first film, "Raiders of the Lost Ark", their new style "Legend" jacket is a very good reproduction, i.e. a little shorter and trimmer fitting.

Here is a link to my review of my "Adventurer VIP"

http://ron521.homestead.com/USWingsVIP.html

USWings_1.JPG

ron521

One of the Regulars
Realizing that I'm a bit late on this reply, I've had a US Wings Signature Series VIP cowhide Indy-style jacket for about 9 months now, and I like it very much.

It is a pretty good Last Crusade jacket, meaning specifically it's a little bit longer and roomier than the short, tight fitting jacket worn in the very first movie (details of the jacket varied in each film).

Quality of construction is just wonderful...thick but soft leather, flawless workmanship, military grade nylon lining.

Sizing runs toward the upper end of the marked range, so a M is a good fit on a 40, and a bit roomier on a 38.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael