Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uh, my first attempt at creasing a Fed IV is LAME!

jbucklin

Practically Family
tnitz, you mean like this?

Photo114.jpg

tnitz

New in Town
Yep

I think that looks better, myself. Nothing wrong with the vertical crease, I just think this looks better on this hat. And I didn't mention before, the proportions suit you.

jbucklin

Practically Family
I hope I haven't caused you to worry about creasing the hat. I first tried doing a dry-crease; and then, following the advice given by fellow-loungers on this thread, decided to use steam. Now I am very, very happy! :p

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I think it looks good! So it's not perfectly symmetrical. So? Only my precreased hats are symmetrical. Yours just looks like a hand-creased hat.

(And if metropd is a sworn officer of the Crease Police, I guess that makes me a part-time, auxiliary, assistant, night-time, sidekick deputy :D ).

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap From now on, "not bad" and "fine" are out for me. "What do I think of it? Well, it doesn't bother me too much."

Reminds me of when I used to live in Maine, where "it doesn't suck" was high praise...;)

Looking good....nice lid.

I think you did a nice job on your hat. As mentioned by tnitz, I also like some flat surface in front of the piches up front. I just use 2 fingers for my width between them, applying steam and putting 2 fingers inside at the front as you work in the pinch, this will give you more flat up front. Even so, as is, I dig the job you did.

See what I mean on this hat I just did.

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=51340

Tim

tnitz said:
As with all things, this is just my opinion. Both looked good and you did a nice job smoothing out the rear. What I don't like about the second crease is the sharp crease you have running vertically. It's not that it's overused, it's that on your hat you have a distinct variance between the top of the front pinches and the front (or area between) the front pinches. I'd widen out the front area between the pinches and remove the crease so that it mirrored the radius at the top of the two pinches. Am I making any sense? Your first attempt was closer to what I'm talking about.

jbucklin

Practically Family
Yeah Tim, I checked out your thread on that Stetson the day you posted it. Looks incredible. I'm going to try your two-fingered approach, since I would like a bit more flat up front. Thanks for the tip!

Quick question: when you say that that vintage Stetson was open-crowned, do you mean it had never been creased before? That would be a rare occurrence indeed.

The Stetson

You're welcome. I think you will find that will give you a great result using those fingers.

The stetson was open crown but I could tell that it previously had a very mild center dent. I could see one small mark on the felt that leads me to believe this to be true.

Tim

jbucklin said:
Yeah Tim, I checked out your thread on that Stetson the day you posted it. Looks incredible. I'm going to try your two-fingered approach, since I would like a bit more flat up front. Thanks for the tip!

Quick question: when you say that that vintage Stetson was open-crowned, do you mean it had never been creased before? That would be a rare occurrence indeed.

KY_RudeBoy

Familiar Face
I like a hand-creased hat. Yours looked pretty good to start, but now looks quite nice.
I first creased my Fed IV dry, then with steam, then one night after a few beers I used a spray bottle. I liked it quite well.
Then one day about a month ago, I was cleaning the gutters and decided to hose down the whole hat. Yep, a completely soaked Fed IV is like a blank canvas... a floppy, sloppy, dripping, blank canvas. :D
I wore it the rest of the day until it dried and now it is MY hat.
fed_IV_07_summer.jpg

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I think it's lookin' good, jbucklin.

Yes, you look more relaxed. Steam will do that to ya.
Agree that casual and evolving is good. My two bits. Don't overthink it.

Hey KY, your soaking method is one I've seen quoted for the cowboy's technique (of long yesteryear, before the country singer/rodeo ubiquitous cattleman crease) for breaking in a hat...minus the horse stomping. It works!

"It doesn't bother me too much..." lol I love it!
Sounds like something my dad would have said.
(As high praise.)

I'm going to use that with my bands...next time out.
"So how do you think we sounded tonight?"
"It doesn't bother me too much." :D

- Bill

P.S. I understand about the perfectionist streak.
If it weren't for that, I wouldn't have any faults.:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW