Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uh, my first attempt at creasing a Fed IV is LAME!

jbucklin

Practically Family
Photo97.jpg

Photo102-1.jpg

I looked pretty POd, huh?

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
Looks a lot like every attempt I've made to get a teardrop crease on my Alessandria. And yeah, some of these hats upon first exposure seem big enough for a basketball to wear.

From the front it looks great on you. I think some steam or water and lots of TLC will smooth out that curve along the back side up top and you're good to go. Takes a lot of patience.

I just go with a karate-chop center dent, myself!

jbucklin

Practically Family
Thanks everybody. I'm a perfectionist, and when things don't go right from the very start I tend to get edgy! [huh]

It looks a little funny to me when I am turned at an angle with that narrow little "Indy" pinch. Is this normal? Or am I doing it wrong?

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Not sure, but it looks okay in the pic. I just try to make sure the front pinch is opposite the back tag. I don't care for fedoras that look like they just came off of a professional bashing machine. A little personality is okay with a fedora. I love the bash I put on my grey Fed, the crease on my brown one never looked right to me. [huh]

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Chuck Bobuck said:
It doesn't bother me too much.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap From now on, "not bad" and "fine" are out for me. "What do I think of it? Well, it doesn't bother me too much."

filfoster

One Too Many
bash

I actually liked the first pic with the uneven teardrop. It looks like a period bash of the thinner felt hats. I'm with Chuck Bobuck on this one: uneven is more interesting. Still, it's a nice hat and you sell yourself short.
And if you think that's big, get a Fed III. You'll look Amish.

tnitz

New in Town
Looking good, but...

As with all things, this is just my opinion. Both looked good and you did a nice job smoothing out the rear. What I don't like about the second crease is the sharp crease you have running vertically. It's not that it's overused, it's that on your hat you have a distinct variance between the top of the front pinches and the front (or area between) the front pinches. I'd widen out the front area between the pinches and remove the crease so that it mirrored the radius at the top of the two pinches. Am I making any sense? Your first attempt was closer to what I'm talking about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot