Ultimate Leather Conditioner Comparison (on Reddit)

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Monitor, Sep 20, 2020.

1. El Marro

El Marro Call Me a Cab

Yes!
    I have a whole list of questions for Monitor, none of which I think are appropriate for the TFL...

2. Hh121

Hh121 Call Me a Cab

[​IMG]

Monitor, Cornelius and Jin431 like this.
  3. Cornelius

Cornelius One of the Regulars

While I've not tried Obenauf's for interpersonal relations, I can testify that it is superb for treating leather boots, belts, bags, dog collars & leashes. Have yet to test it on a jacket.

Mrfrown likes this.
  4. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

I think it only affect if some day you want to re dye the leather, silicone layer would be very hard to get rid completely off, and so dye will never really works

roadking04, Mrfrown and Monitor like this.
  5. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

long before I care about leather jacket and its maintenance, I had only one black leather loafer shoes truly mall quality around early 2000, and I only wipe them with car silicone dashboard cleaner, never polish them never condition them, it never cracks or deteriorate, I just don't want to wear it anymore.
    I wonder maybe silicone works to preserve suede shoes, I don't know how to care for them, all webs only teaching about cleaning them or protecting from water, never say anything about feeding the suede :D

Monitor likes this.
  6. Monitor

Monitor

When I started working there, my biggest dread was the kind of people I'm gonna have to deal with. First thing I learned is that half the folk who walk in are people who do it so on doctors recommendations since many of the toys have genuine health benefits.
    Lol but there's any need for a recommendation or some info about any product, I'm here and hey, discretion is my middle name. XD After so many years, I've learned a LOT.

And now, back to conditioners!

7. Will Zach

Will Zach One Too Many

Mods, I would suggest to sticky this thread. The conditioner and adult lubes questions come up so often from newbies and old hands alike that it would be a great resource to have, uh, handy.

8. Monitor

Monitor

Agreed. Maybe a little clean up, too. XD

9. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

^^^well...it is outerwear for the most part.
    B

10. Hh121

Hh121 Call Me a Cab

received pacard today, the motocycle spray (contains silicone) does not bring the sheen back to leather(LW horsehide), instead it makes leather dull!! but the weatherproof black dressing works (Horween overdye)like they said, covers abrasions and bring the sheen back little bit.

Still looking for conditioner can bring the sheen back on my LW horsehide

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    JMax and roadking04 like this.
  11. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

I have the link to this thread stored so that I can easily retrieve it when the question is presented in the future. I agree it is a valuable resource, but if I put a sticky on all of these valuable resource threads, the first page would be full of stickies. So, by putting the threads in storage, I can retrieve them when needed.

Cornelius and Monitor like this.
  12. Hh121

Hh121 Call Me a Cab

Great result from pecard weatherproof black dressing, like a new jacket!
    6D62C88E-5F5E-4223-88DD-49270E08AFA4.jpeg D6D43D89-F5E5-4316-B0C7-835BA74DBFC4.jpeg

dannyk, navetsea, sweetfights and 8 others like this.
  13. roadking04

roadking04 Practically Family

That looks great! It looks like you brought some shine to the overdye. It will be interesting to see how this ages. I like it.

Hh121 likes this.
  14. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

Very good result. Pecard is probably my favorite, although I have only used it on jackets when they got wet during rides. Mostly my naked leather jackets as they soak up the rain more than CXL.

Hh121 likes this.
  15. Hh121

Hh121 Call Me a Cab

JMax likes this.
  16. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

I use Renaissance wax to help fight off verdigris. Not sure how similar it is to this but it doesn’t maintain its shininess for long. It does provide an invisible protective layer though. I’m interested to hear if this works. In my experience, stuff like Mr. Leather, a cleaner-conditioner combo, makes & keeps LW leather a bit shinier.

17. Hh121

Hh121 Call Me a Cab

There is a video about using this product on finished leather, it makes leather MUCH shiner than before, I am not sure if the shiny coating will damage my LW.

18. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

Renaissance? It does not stay shiny. But I only use it around snaps or eyelets. Never a very a large area.

19. Hh121

Hh121 Call Me a Cab

No, it's fiebing leather sheen.

JMax likes this.
  20. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

Got it. Fiebings makes good stuff. I use their saddle soap on my bike seat. Worth a shot.