Ultimate Leather Conditioner Comparison (on Reddit)

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Monitor, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Hh121

Hh121 Call Me a Cab

I don't have cheap jacket to try, I wish I still have a Vanson.

JMax likes this.
  2. Cornelius

Cornelius One of the Regulars

2nd on the Fiebing's Saddle Soap - excellent stuff, it's all that I use to clean my boots.

JMax likes this.
  3. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

I just ordered the Sheen. I’m curious. Will keep you posted.

roadking04 and Hh121 like this.
  4. Hh121

Hh121 Call Me a Cab

Thanks man!

5. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

Mr. Leather Cleaner & Conditioner may be what you are looking for.

Hh121 likes this.
  6. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

A tad bit shinier than when I received it. It’s not just the lighting either.

I got peppered with dragon flies while riding. It was thick & nasty. I needed to use a cleaner, not just water. Mr. Leather.

C2D4C29B-A910-45B8-99E4-6A371C7DB5D9.jpeg

roadking04, navetsea and Hh121 like this.
  7. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

found some in youtube

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    Hh121 likes this.
  8. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

So, it’s like spray varnish?!?

Hh121 likes this.
  9. Hh121

Hh121 Call Me a Cab

Most likely yes, that's why I hesitate to buy it.

10. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

I also tried the pecards spray yesterday. On small sections of Vanson, LW and Schott jackets. It’s really good but you are correct, it doesn’t hold the shine.

Hh121 likes this.
  11. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Varnish won’t look realistic. It will end up looking “pleather-y” . You could give the Blackrock a go...the wax doesn’t make it shiny, but does give a lustre. A few coats might build up the sheen.

Hh121 likes this.
  12. RockSolid

RockSolid One of the Regulars

Here are my results with pecard, not the best picture quality but hopefully you will see the before / after
    Jacket is a naked cowhide Schott 565
    I also did my JD1 and the leather now feels much more supple and looks better

Left side done not dried yet :
    7 - Vjy0Gwo.jpg
    5 - 2ErFbzz.jpg
    6 - O4qQmTO.jpg
    3 - cxgOFu6.jpg

Both sides done, still "wet" :
    2 - Kz0vNIM.jpg

Almost Dried :
    1 - yk5hTQS.jpg

I'll add more pictures tomorrow when it is completely dry

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    navetsea, roadking04, Hh121 and 2 others like this.
  13. Will Zach

Will Zach One Too Many

I'll say it upfront - I used to be Obenaufs guy, now I am Pecard's guy..., here's why:

I got a 80-year old Spiegel horsehide cross-zip. Very stiff, squeaky, dry, worn, but otherwise quite wonderful...:) Pic below.

DSC_0248.jpg

I got a 36-oz tub of Pecards. I never go small, lol. Pic below shows how much I used on this jacket. Maybe 1.5-in worth of stuff. I applied it quite liberally to sub-divided panels, used hair dryer to melt it, and massaged it into the warm leather. Some panels drank it up, with some it took a bit longer. After about 3 hours the jacket was done, and slightly tacky. No smell whatsoever.

P1060793.JPG

After hanging overnight, no tack whatsoever. Leather is darker, supple, no longer squeaky and cardboard-stiff. The sheen was restored, the worn areas still visible if you look for them, but also darker.

P1060795.JPG

P1060797corr.JPG

On the last pic you can see the worn areas are still there, so the character was not lost. The grain is more pronounced. I like Pecards to Obenaufs because a jacket treated with the latter was oily for weeks (I know, I overdid, I never go small, lol), and I like a total lack of smell of Pecards.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  14. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

^^^Thats the pecards (I’m pretty sure all the differently labeled Pecard containers carry the same stuff, or are quite similar) I use on my boots. Awesome stuff.

The other one I have used on vintage jackets is Jackson’s Hide Rejuvenator— one of my favorites.

handymike likes this.
  15. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

So thats how pecards duck looks like, a bit thicker from what i imagine. I treat mine with leather lotion pour a coin size on the palm of my hand, then use my fingers to apply on the jacket, or mink oil balm it comes with sponge applicator. I use them as if they are made from gold.

16. Will Zach

Will Zach One Too Many

^^
    Yes, it is quite thick, like hair pomade or something. Pecards should really be recommending the hair dryer method of application - it is much quicker than rubbing in with your fingers, which I found ridiculous. Heat from hair dryer melts the wax into a low viscosity liquid and it goes in quick and deep. Great stuff. Will darken the leather a shade or two.
    PS _ I read several reports on the web that sometimes Pecards leaves behind a white residue that is difficult to remove. Nothing like that happened in my case and I stuffed the belt full of Pecards because it was dry and worn. I admit I do not understand this white residue business.

navetsea likes this.
  17. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

It does! And you have to buff it out.
    Also, the color darkening fades in a few months. DR. Jackson’s has better color retention.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  18. Wasn't it John Chapman who recommended 'Vaseline' as his favorite leather conditioner?

navetsea and handymike like this.
  19. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Yes it was. I find with Pecards - which is perfectly fine - that it fades away after few months and the jacket looks pretty much as it did before treatment. I don't think that an greasy looking jacket signifies a 'fix.' I've used Vaseline and it seems to be about the same as Pecards. Also Harley Davidson leather dressing is Pecards with a re-branding.

20. Will Zach

Will Zach One Too Many

^^
    So to they say. Pecards certainly feels like good ole Vaseline, in which case they make a mint at these prices. I do think they add some waxes to it though, maybe some beeswax or some such. But the bulk feels like Vaseline.