Ultimate Leather Conditioner Comparison (on Reddit)

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Monitor, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Cornelius

Cornelius Practically Family

Very curious to see how this turns out... please be sure to take some proper 'Before' & 'After' pics with same lighting & backdrop in each.

Marc mndt likes this.
  2. Morecowbell

Morecowbell New in Town

Hi everyone -

First post so please be gentle. I just acquired this beast and am trying to figure out what leather conditioner to use on it. Its a Bronco A-2 in pretty rough shape, have been told its HH. I've had one recommendation from a knowledgeable person of a beeswax/carnuba polish, however that product is out of stock at the moment and TBH it seems to need more of a drink than a polish. Since a lot of the finish is gone I'm really just concerned about preservation if possible - any advice would be welcome, particularly any product or substance to avoid using on it.

Thanks!
    A2 slves.jpg

tmitchell59 likes this.
  3. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Stay away from the wax on this one. Because of the loss of the finish, I would contact Dave Sheeley (@Maverickson). He restores these as well as makes new jackets. There might be more going on and you don’t want to “seal in” any problems.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  4. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead Practically Family

good advice here. Looks like the top coat is gone. Is the finish more "suede" feeling? Definitely consult an expert in restoring.

5. Morecowbell

Morecowbell New in Town

Yes, exactly. Runs the gamut from finish to partial finish to suede

6. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

We have needed more cowbell around here for a long time. Glad you decided to join us. Welcome to TFL.

I agree with @handymike about contacting an expert. For the normal thirsty jacket, I would just recommend Pecard, or some other quality preservative, and be done with it. But with the loss of the top coat, a different approach might be needed.

Monitor and Morecowbell like this.
  7. Morecowbell

Morecowbell New in Town

Quick update - I fixed the tear, reinforced the upper left chest and sleeve, and moisturized with ADV Leather moisturizer. So far so good...and now if it keeps falling apart I can just keep fixing it :D

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

The patch:
    [​IMG]

Special thanks to Ken at Aero Leather, Barb at Leather Care & Color and Jason at ADV Leather for all their time and help!

Clay

Peacoat and handymike like this.