Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Um, board tech help?

DarkAudit

New in Town
There isn't any obvious place for threads about board technical issues, but this looks like the place to get the most eyeballs.

I've noticed that the board is very quick to mark all messages read if I step away from the computer. Even getting called away for 10 minutes while reading a thread will end up with everything marked read. That's a bit frustrating when I know there's quite a few threads with new messages that I now need to hunt for.

Is there a setting in my profile that I can change to allow for a more leisurely browsing time? Preferably one that doesn't automatically mark threads as read.

DarkAudit

New in Town
Windows 7 and Firefox. I can't say exactly how long it waits before marking threads read, but there were 3 or 4 threads with new messages when I checked about an hour ago, then got called away for work stuff for ~15-20 min. Came back and all threads were marked read.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Hmm. I view the site either on my Vista machine or [much less frequently] an old Mac PowerBook and haven't come across that particular problem.

I did a bit of fishing around on the settings and such, but didn't see anything apart from the obvious "mark threads read" button.

Has this happened more than once?

Wish I had more to offer in the way of help,

Randy

P.S Welcome to the Lounge, too!

P.P.S I hit "mark as read" just to see what happened, I couldn't tell any difference, just when I navigated to the main forum page, the martini glass beside Hats was absent.

Panda Moanium

New in Town
Sorry to hijack the thread but on a related techie issue, is there any way to change the default colour scheme? I personally find the black with white text very hard on the eyes - to the extent that it gives me headaches.

I know on other vBulletin forums there are options to change colours, but haven't been able to find it here.

Thanks

Pompidou

One Too Many
DarkAudit said:
There isn't any obvious place for threads about board technical issues, but this looks like the place to get the most eyeballs.

I've noticed that the board is very quick to mark all messages read if I step away from the computer. Even getting called away for 10 minutes while reading a thread will end up with everything marked read. That's a bit frustrating when I know there's quite a few threads with new messages that I now need to hunt for.

Is there a setting in my profile that I can change to allow for a more leisurely browsing time? Preferably one that doesn't automatically mark threads as read.

It must be a cookies issue. I have the opposite issue. I can reply to a thread, return to the main forum, hit refresh a few times, and it'll still show threads as having new posts. In my case, it's not a big deal, because I have no interest in reading every thread. What I do is scan a few select forums for a few select threads, or new any topic, new or old, that catches my eye. If the forums show a hundred new posts, it's all the same as if it showed none.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Panda Moanium said:
Sorry to hijack the thread but on a related techie issue, is there any way to change the default colour scheme? I personally find the black with white text very hard on the eyes - to the extent that it gives me headaches.

I know on other vBulletin forums there are options to change colours, but haven't been able to find it here.

Thanks

What browser are you using?

Also, didn't you ask this same question on the "Ask a Question" thread. Answers to that query went on for like 3 pages.

Tell me what browser you use, and I may be able to help.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Panda Moanium said:
is there any way to change the default colour scheme?
shakeshead

The color issue has been discussed a few times in the past and it only seems to bother a few....[huh]

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
It is killing me...

It is killing me, but I just can't remember the name of the Firefox plugin that allowed you to change the color of a vboard background. The Icon was an orange ape face that made a grimace when you turned the plugin off, but had a smile when you turned it on.

Gaahhh, I wish I could remember the name of that plugin.

I too, hate the white type on the black back ground. It strains the eyes quite unnecessarily.

I'll keep trying to remember and if I do I'll post it here.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I'v e had the same problem as DarkAudit since I joined. I've been here on five different computers, running various Windows versions, using Explorer, Netscape, and even on a Mac with Firefox and Safari.

All do it fairly quickly. I asked about itonce, long ago. Right or wrong, I was told to live with it, 'cuz that's how the software works. [huh]

Panda Moanium

New in Town
Neophyte said:
What browser are you using?

Also, didn't you ask this same question on the "Ask a Question" thread. Answers to that query went on for like 3 pages.

Tell me what browser you use, and I may be able to help.

No that wasn't me. The 'Ask a Question' thread is great but at 60+ pages it can be hard to find an answer to a specific question.

Anyway I normally use Safari, but have now downloaded the 'NoSquint' plug-in for Firefox which is working a treat. It really makes a difference to my eyes viewing this site in white with black text. Even if it isn't as aesthetically pleasing as the original colours....;)

Thanks to all for help.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Do this to work around the timeout:

Click New Posts (I assume this is your starting point?)
Then where you see the number of pages that are available of new postings, control-click each number to open that list of new posts in new tabs.

Go through those pages and control click each thread you want to read in new tabs.

Read at leisure.

(I apologize if control-click isn't the keyboard shortcut needed. I'm a Safari Guy.)

Foofoogal

Banned
I'm a Safari Guy:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

me too. Changed my life when I got a Mac. I go to my other HP sometimes and it is like a dinosaur. So spoiled by many windows open at one time. :eek:fftopic:

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Yes, there does appear to be a timeout for the board. The solution is to read/type fast OR refresh a page or load up a new page if you think your time is running out. Annoying, but they probably have the extremely short timeout set up like that for safety reasons (don't want someone posting under your name, The Fedora Lounge is very strict on identity issues).

As far as the white text on black background I have to cast my lot with those who wish to make a complaint. I don't get the headaches and what not, but I have an astigmatism and the white text on black background is humorously awful.

Still, if it goes away my friends and family won't be able to make jokes about it anymore, and that would sadden me.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
When I get caught in a timeout I log in and then hit
go-back-icon.gif
a few times until I'm back where I need to be.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
DarkAudit said:
I would posit part of it is using the older version of vBulletin. Switching to the 4.x series would be a big shock to all involved. :eek:

Which will be happening soon, we hope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points