Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ummm... any of you into vintage photography, as in with vintage cameras?

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
Well, imagine the imageshatter if a person out of a 1940's fashion magazine flips out a digicam out of their trenchcoat pocket.

Actually I've been taking photos a lot, now got "back" into midsize 120 photography and gotten a few of pre/postrwar 35mm cameras as well. And funny enough got an 1948 Agiflex and decided to get rid of a number of newer cameras in its favor.

Anyone else there trying to figure out a 1937 Box-Tengor's lense?
(Dunno if its too many hats, leather jackets or cameras)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
You should do a search on this subject - there have been several threads about it over the years.

I'm a film guy from way back - my parents were pros for over fifty years, and I grew up working in the family business in the 1960s and early 70s. I still have access to their darkroom, and was making 35mm b/w prints as recently as two weeks ago.

We've got a wide range of old cameras, everything from an 8x10 Ansco from about 1915, through 1940s Graphic 4x5s, 1970s Nikon F2s and a Mamiya RB-67, on up to Olympus point-and-shoots from this decade. (Not to mention all the old cameras folks gave us when they packed up their basements and moved to Florida - 8mm movie cameras, beautiful old Polaroids, Kodak snapshooters, TLRs, all kinds of rangefinders, and European SLR knockoffs.) Personally, I now mostly shoot with my Olympus OMs and a pair of Minox subminiatures from 1956 and 1963...

I don't own a digital camera, but I grab my kids' or dad's every now and then for a quick shot. Digital is great, but I don't love it like the old film technology. Face it, I've got old-school photo chemistry in my blood!

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
I know what you mean. I just can't get into digital photography. It makes me feel as if I'm being treated like an idiot. I guess I should try a full manual digital SLR (one you can use like a real camera, you know, with a light meter), but they're out of my price bracket.

Alan

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
Ah yes, I stumbled on the newbie thing after all :lol:

I got a digicam just because once when they got cheap enough I got this bright idea when I was dismantling my motorbike... to see how the parts were on and then pictures of what came out in what order...

I used to teach photography at one time even... Now I still have the 2.1 MP HP to take "point & click" and a Fuji finepix to take "merchandise photos" as I sell watches and some memorabilia and good pictures are half the sale. Problem is I require the digicam to be "point and click" - have gone through a few due to "too many moving parts". I'd have a Saljut that takes Kiev backs and a digi back for that might be possible, but so far the same thing, those manual digi SLR's are too pricey.

For a SLR, totally manual, I tell people to learn the hard way. Old, cheap, manual, learn, spend money on the film and developing and not the equipment, before you get the "spirit talking". I had sold my Olympus some 10 years ago ... forgotten half I learned, got into the 120mm and decided to go 35mm SLR so I picked up a Zenit 3M (with a swing back, the film loading in the Leitz copies is a total turnoff)... they're about 30 bucks, with say a Helios-44. You can get a working one from the 1960's, but I went through 3-4 before I found a "keeper". Now with a 30 buck worth camera I can "do stuff" I wouldn't dare do otherwise. And if it drops, oopsidaisy. That vs. dropping a 3000-buck camera and getting a nervous breakdown someone is going to nick it... My other favorite is a Yashica TLR (for portraits) I picked up from someone selling vintage stuff ... erm harberdashery and buttons (was looking for suspenders and stumbled upon it)...

The funniest thing is, I go to places and take pictures with these old bellows, I get people coming up to me and starting to talk... a bit like being out with a dog :lol: And there is *always* someone asking if "can you take color pictures with it" is, that the key question. And I can now get "into the photo" myself as the older folks want to try "My dad had one just like that" and have the knack...

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
I go along with a lot of that. Is it possible to get a basic manual digital camera anywhere. One you have to focus, set the 'shutter speed' and aperture? If it was reasonably priced I'd be onto it like a shot.

I understand that digital cameras now have 'face recognition technology'. What's that about? I have been recognising faces for years without any problems. There is a psychiatric disorder which prevents the sufferer from recognising human faces. It is extremely debilitating, as it prevents you from forming relationships or living anything like a normal life. I can understand that someone who has this condition might benefit from a camera that helps them to recognise faces, but fortunately it is a very rare disease and I don't think there would be much of a market for such a camera.

Speaking as someone who works in new technology, I think we're losing the plot!

Alan

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I received the camera kit of a photography buff who had passed away, from a friend who knew him. Included was an Exakta 35mm SLR that I was able to identify as about a 1960-61 model, and a longer lens and several lens extenders, one of the bellows type. The Exakta is interesting in that it has a removable viewfinder so that it can be used at either eye level or waist level, and the kit included both finders. I haven't shot film in years, and I'll need a light meter and I'll need to find a good lab, but I am looking forward to trying it out.

I'll take some shots of the camera and equipment with my digital camera if anybody is interested.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
I used to have an Exacta - nice flexible camera. Some advantages of TLRm some of SLR. They are quite collectable now.

Alan

Tony in Tarzana said:
I received the camera kit of a photography buff who had passed away, from a friend who knew him. Included was an Exakta 35mm SLR that I was able to identify as about a 1960-61 model, and a longer lens and several lens extenders, one of the bellows type. The Exakta is interesting in that it has a removable viewfinder so that it can be used at either eye level or waist level, and the kit included both finders. I haven't shot film in years, and I'll need a light meter and I'll need to find a good lab, but I am looking forward to trying it out.

I'll take some shots of the camera and equipment with my digital camera if anybody is interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred