Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unbranded Brand 21 Oz skinny-fit jeans (pic heavy)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
My Zimbabwe is my go to jeans. Wish my Okayama was a straight leg rather than the slim. The slim profile works fine for my sparrow legs, but the lower rise slim is pushing my cajones just a very short distance south from my tonsils. :eeek:

No Lawless jeans for you, I suspect. :D

andy b.

One of the Regulars
I still wear mine, but the various Gustin jeans get more wear than the UB21. Today my brother and I were out small game hunting with his dog, and we were walking through all kinds of briars and thorn bushes. He had on some rip-stop chaps over his jeans, and all I had on were a pair of the UB21s. No pulls or thorns stuck in me! 21oz denim is awesome for walking through thickets. :D

Andy B.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
They are a serious pair of jeans. Glad I decided against buying a pair of 28oz-ers - tough as nails but the breaking in phase? Yikes. Can't imagine what people who buy 32oz Iron Heart jeans are thinking, or if they can sit down when they're wearing them! That's denim as a form of masochism. :D

Edward

Bartender
A while back, I asked a German custom maker whether he used 21oz; he was strongly of the opinion that anything over 18oz is ridiculous for clothing. I suppose a lot of it comes down to personal preference. At the right price I'd try a 21 for the Winter, but I do suspect I'd find it overkill.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think, if you were looking for something winter-weight, 16oz/18oz would see you good. That said, the UBs are comfortable and an easy wear now, and as long as the rest of the buttons stay on, I can only see them getting better and better.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've got a couple pair of 18 oz. Gustin jeans and a pair of 22 oz. N&F jeans. The 22 oz. are borderline on wear-ability. They're fun as a hobby pair and I enjoy them for that but for anyone looking for more utility I'd stick with 18 or less. If you're looking for warmth in a winter pair then I'd look at something flannel lined or some heavy wool pants.

andy b.

One of the Regulars
The UB21s are very wearable once broken in. And honestly, the break-in period wasn't that bad. I bet after only 7 or 8 wears they felt good. One thing I will say, they are also excellent at blocking wind! I've had mine over a year now, and we had some cold, windy days last winter and I'd wear the UB21 jeans and not even feel the wind. 18oz does pretty good, but you can feel the difference in the 21oz.

For the record, I also do own the 26oz Gustin Beasts, and they are still a chore to put on, but I've only worn them about 8 times.

Andy B.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I was going to ask if anyone owns the Beasts. I was sorely tempted, but I just thought they'd be, as Casehopper put it brilliantly, a 'hobby pair'. I don't feel the UBs fall into that category, though, I reach for them as easily as I would my 18oz Gustins. But I'm looking forward to getting my Lawless 18oz-ers, as the general consensus seems to be that they are wearable out of the box, without the need for soaking. The only heavy pair I've had that have done that so far are my Gustin Zimbabweans.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Not sure about The Beasts, but i own a pair of 25oz Iron Heart IH 634 XHS and they are by far my favourite!
yes 25oz is heavy, but it does soften a lot with wear, and feel great...

I have some 18oz, 21oz, 23oz and 25oz jeans, and to me the only jump that is really noticeable is from 18oz to 21oz.
Once you go past 21oz it all feels more or less the same. The rigidity is more related to the state/design of the denim than the weight.
Like, the 21oz IH are very soft. the 21/23oz raw is cardboard like when new, but softens very nicely. The 25oz sanforized but unwashed starts softer than the 21/23oz but doesn't end up as soft after wear.
The 21/23 is woven a lot tighter than the 25oz, so it is actually a lot warmer in the summer. The 25oz actually breaths very well and is ok in warm weather.

All of them are as wearable day to day.

All that to say, if you can get your hands on 26oz, do it!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Bit of an update. Amazingly, the top button has gone now! It's hanging on in there, though at right angles, but they're basically unwearable at the moment - can only imagine it a QC problem, perhaps a bad batch of rivets, but quite irritating as they were wearing in nicely.
That said, I wrote a friendly note to UB, expressing my disappointment - not counting the summer, when it was too warm to wear, these have had barely eight months use - and they came back to me with half and hour, apologising and offering to send me a set of buttons to replace them. Not sure how easy they are to replace, hopefully it'll come down a bit of wrangling with a pair of needle-nose pliers, but good on them for being so positive.
A quick pic of what the damage looks like:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
That sucks!

Have a look on evil Bay, i just searched "jeans buttons" and there are a lot of buttons and cheap tools on there!
The tool you want to replace them is called a "Die Punch tool" less than £10 on there to.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Tis a bit annoying, but they were prompt and polite in helping me, they're sending the necessary hardware and said that a pair a pliers will do the job. Does make me think the Gustin got it right wit their choice of metalwork, though.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Absolutely, they're starting to develop some nice fades, so I'm keen to get them repaired and wearable again.

andy b.

One of the Regulars
Same thing happened on one of my pairs, only the smaller fly button, not the main top button. They also sent me replacement buttons. That said, the replacements were a different style, not the originals with the poked through tabs that get pushed flat inside the button. I actually like the replacement better, and it has been on there for months of wear with no issues. The replacement ones I got you just hit on with a hammer. If they are the same as mine, you'll understand as soon as you see them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart