Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption

Discussion in 'The Reading Room' started by Story, Nov 20, 2010.

1. AmateisGal

AmateisGal I'll Lock Up

After reading her story, it makes me realize that, as a writer, I have NO EXCUSE not to sit down and get the work done. :)

2. BuzzTheTower

BuzzTheTower New in Town

Louie's story is truly amazing. I ran into his book, re-released in 2002 (written in 1957) in a book store while browsing for WWII aviation stuff. I read a little from it, and had to buy it. I looked for him on Google, and found that he was still alive, with an address and phone number. I called and talked with him for a bit, which was so fun. I found about 300 photographs from the 1936 Berlin Olympics, and he was in one of the photos. I sent them to him, and found out about the book being written by Laura. I found her email, and we talked a little bit, and this was back in 2004. She got the photos I found. I'm very lucky to be listed in the Acknowledgments section of Unbroken. Laura is fascinating, and for someone living as tough a situation as she does, she always answered my emails with a happy attitude, and fast. She and Louie are best friends.

His story is almost insane. I can't imagine doing any of the things he did, and surviving. He is one tough fellow, and very humble about it. When he got the photos I sent him, he commented that most of his friends that he saw in the photos are now dead - a common problem with people who live a very long life.

I cannot recommend this book enough. It'll knock your socks off.

3. bradford

bradford Familiar Face

I heard about this book at church a few months ago and I went out and bought it and read it the next day. What an amazing story. Apparently its being made into a movie - can't wait!

4. AmateisGal

AmateisGal I'll Lock Up

WOW. Awesome, Buzz! How cool that you got to talk to Louie AND Laura. They're both heroes in my book. :)

5. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

I have a hard time believing any filmmaker will be brave enough to come close to depicting the horrors inflicted on the Pacific war POWs.
    The Money will dictate a watered down version.

6. AmateisGal

AmateisGal I'll Lock Up

I agree. I was saddened that they were going to make this into a movie simply because it is SUCH a good story and Hollywood will never be able to faithfully recreate it.

HOWEVER, that being said, I think Christian Bale might be able to play Louie. He has a good track record of being able to make himself physically fit his roles.

7. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

..not to mention physically un-fit, if you've seen Christian Bale's shocking weight loss in The Machinist!

8. Finally found Draggan Mihailovich's story on Zampereni and his interview of "The Bird".

http://www.awesomestories.com/assets/louis-zamperini-4

Something still chilling about him in old age.
    His warning right eye droop still there after all those decades. You can just see something "snap".
    I wonder how he treated his family.......if he was able to suppress his sadistic drive after being deprived of his supply of helpless victims.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  9. ButteMT61

ButteMT61

"Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand...

Just a blurb to say I got this book two days ago and I can't put it down. I'm a slow reader - my wife would have finished this by now, but for me, it's a slower pace.
    It is fantastic, and seems to have been researched well.
    A highly enjoyable read. Interested if others have or are reading it?

10. Flipped Lid

Flipped Lid One of the Regulars

This is near the top of my "books to read" list. I have an acquaintance who had an opportunity to hear Louis Zamperini speak at his church a few months ago and recommends the book highly. I read "Seabiscuit" by Hillenbrand and thought it was very well done. I look forward to reading "Unbroken".

11. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

I've merged three threads so you can get some more thoughts on this excellent book. It is also in the works to be filmed.

12. ButteMT61

ButteMT61

Wow - that's amazing! I LOVE this book. Get it :)

13. ButteMT61

ButteMT61

Thanks - and sorry. I didn't see this thread, so I'm actually thrilled that it had already been discussed and is also liked by others!

14. ButteMT61

ButteMT61

Well, if "Water For Elephants" is an example, this movie should NOT be made!
    WFE was a great book, the movie, blah. It was a raw story, and it got Hollywoodized which is a shame. This movie would be watered down and awful. Too bad.

15. AmateisGal

AmateisGal I'll Lock Up

I really wish they wouldn't make it into a movie...some stories should just be told in book-form. They're more powerful and authentic that way.

16. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

Louie Zamperini has passed away, aged 97, in his sleep.