Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

World War II Airman Found Frozen in Glacier

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
This almost seems like the setup for a bad sci-fi movie.

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=local&id=3549625

World War II Airman Found Frozen in Glacier
October 18, 2005 - It was a plane crash back in 1942 that wasn't discovered until 1947. Now, hikers made a frozen discovery in connection with a World War II plane crash.
Hikers found the frozen body of an airman while scaling Mount Mendel Glacier in the Sequoia National Park. Now, the military is working to find out who this airman is and whether he was ever reported missing.
It's believed the airman has been frozen in the glacier for decades until a pair of climbers got much more than ever imagined on a hike.

Two glacier climbers, 13,000 feet above the national park floor on Mount Mendel, made the incredible discovery.

"They were hiking, ice climbing ... it's a pretty popular ice climbing route in K.C. and what they noticed was the head and shoulder and a part of an arm of a person at the base of the glacier that had melted out over the course of this summer," explained Alexandra Picavet, from the National Park Service.

National Park Service representatives believe the serviceman was likely part of a crew aboard an AT-7 navigational training plane that crashed on November 18, 1942.

"When we got this report, we got the report of a person wearing a parachute with a patch that said U.S. Army Corp. There was no Air Force in 1942 ... that didn't come until 1947, or after World War II," said Picavet.

In 1947, five years after the crash, hikers discovered a portion of the plane, along with four bodies. Recovery crews didn't know there was at least one airmen left behind.

Tuesday afternoon, an archaeologist and two U.S. park police officers went up to survey the area. A team of two will camp nearby to preserve the scene until the body can be recovered.

It's believed most of the plane is still preserved under the glacier above the spot the latest airman was found.

Veterans familiar with common military practices say the serviceman should have some identification on him.

The climbers who found the man said they could not find anything around his neck, but they did cut out a piece of the parachute that 63 years later is still strapped to his back.

The crash is believed to be one of many that happened in the Sierras during the 1940's and 1950's.

The Park Service is working with a number of agencies and is hoping to chisel the ice around the body on Wednesday to get the man out and eventually identified.

They say it's going to be a long, tedious process.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Finally, Closure...is anyone left?

feltfan said:
Captain America!

No, probable some long dead mother who never heard the fate of her missing son, a father who never came home to kiss his wife or child, a brother who's siblings have since died....

But an American Hero.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Yes, thats what I hope, that the body will return to a family & have closure.
To read that he is frozen. Its like Limbo.

And nowadays w/ DNA identification, there should no longer be burials of Unknown soldiers. But those who are blown to smithereens, well...

Andykev said:
No, probably some long dead mother who never heard the fate of her missing son, a father who never came home to kiss his wife or child, a brother who's siblings have since died....

But an American Hero.

This is what came to my mind as well. This man needs to be identified to put to the rest the mind of the surviving family. The condition of the body even allows for a funeral that is long overdue.
Call up the VFW and make sure this guy gets a 21 gun salute at his final resting place. He died in the line of duty.
This also makes me wonder just what the plane was REALLY doing and carrying when it went down.

Regards to all,

J

Flitcraft

One Too Many
To lose a loved one in wartime is bad. To have one declared MIA is almost worse. Hopefully he will be identified and his remaining family notified.

Jake

One of the Regulars
LBG_Wreck.jpg
Reminds me of the story of "lady Be Good" the B-24 found in the Libyan desert 16 years after WWII. One of my favorite WWII stories, inspiration for TV shows and Movies.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Fascinating story

I hope we can keep abreast of what happens with this. I'd like to know how it turns out. Amazing that he should be discovered after all this time, and he's a sort of time capsule. But then again, The Ice Man was a little older - I would venture a guess that his family never found closure! :)

I'm sure everyone is familiar with the story of the plane (A P-38?) that was locked in ice, removed and restored? Also neat.

Hondo

One Too Many
I am not far from the Sacramento valley and the area of the crash, its been reported that during training flights there were hundreds of disappeared in the territory in the upper reaches of Mount Mendel (Kings Canyon National Park) while navigating "over the hump" of treacherous mountain ranges much like those between India and China, training crashes in the Serra Nevada were many during the war. Note: This plane is not intact, its a scattered wreckage, any one know about the B17 found in the artic intact a few years ago?
Thanks MrBern for posting this, its a noble under taking.

New photo with recent article:

SF Cron.

Geez, I hope this body turns out to be their missing brother because she is not likely to live several more decades to see if another is found. It would put to rest the nagging wonder of what happened to him and he could be put to rest in the family plot. This guy really was a hero enlisting at his age and with so much promise ahead for him.

Regards to all,

J

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Can this be correct?

I just found this astonishing statement in an article about this airman:

Some 88,000 Americans are missing in action from past wars, military officers said. Most of them -- 78,000 -- are from World War II.

Can that be right? seventy-eight THOUSAND? Would that include sailors on sunk vessels? Probably includes a lot of infantry lost in landing operations in the sea, and airmen shot down.. but still! How could it be so high?

Hondo

One Too Many
scotrace said:

Some 88,000 Americans are missing in action from past wars, military officers said. Most of them -- 78,000 -- are from World War II.

Can that be right? seventy-eight THOUSAND? Would that include sailors on sunk vessels? Probably includes a lot of infantry lost in landing operations in the sea, and airmen shot down.. but still! How could it be so high?

In all sincere and honesty I believe those numbers are correct, I just read that hundreds died during training flights over the Nevada Sierra?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s, also the U.S. Navy lost many ships/sailors in the pacific, the numbers are strangulating thousands lost their lives towards the last few years of WWII. If you include the European theater (D-Day, and other major battles) it really is in the thousands. True Heroes, one and all.

scotrace said:

Think about places like Omaha Beach and attacks from submarines and you will probably get it about right. Nearly 4,500 died in the D-day invasion alone.
I would think that a lot of them were lost at sea and many crashed into the land and sea with aircraft. Thinking about the Arizona, 1,200 soldiers went down with that ship alone. Just imagine how many went down with the many ships that were sunk during the whole war.
It is one of the terrible tolls of war.

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo