Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

unconventional earrings?

Foofoogal

Banned
It is things like this that makes me so love vintage. Always finding new vintage wild things. I had heard of wrap earrings but never seen so many fabulous examples. Thank you. :eusa_clap
Yesterday I had the opportunity to buy a skirt in a bag from the 1950s. Like a travel skirt. Still had the paperwork so may go back and pick it up.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Foofoogal said:
It is things like this that makes me so love vintage. Always finding new vintage wild things. I had heard of wrap earrings but never seen so many fabulous examples. Thank you. :eusa_clap

Thanks Foofoo! I know that as a dealer you see a lot of stuff out there... if you ever run into a pair of these, please let me know. I've definitely got a collection started and am very interested in picking up any and all examples I can find that aren't totally ridiculously priced lol

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Ooh! Might those be what Carmen Miranda is wearing here? I always wondered!

4757381400_2849d71324.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Fleur De Guerre said:
Ooh! Might those be what Carmen Miranda is wearing here? I always wondered!

Fleur, thanks for sharing! I'm positive that's exactly what she's wearing. How fun!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Here are the other 2 pair of mine that I didn't get to post before. These are the pairs that started my obsession, found for $4 each up in Vermont.

DSC00417.jpg

I saw a picture of a similar pair online during my research, except those ones were all rhinestone, in the exact same shape/design:
DSC00418.jpg

YesterdayGirl

One of the Regulars
Oh my! I'm so going to search out a pair of these now. I have some unusual earrings that cover the ear, but don't quite wrap around them like that. Excuse the weird picture...

dscn0359.jpg

Inky

One Too Many
and this is why I still visit the Lounge - thank you Kitty for all the images and info - I love these earrings.

Do they only slip around the ear and you don't have to clip anything to the lobe?

I ask because while i love my 3/4 inch plugs and wouldn't change it, I do miss wearing "girlie" earrings - a pair or two like these could be lovely to wear.

(that pic of carmen with the star earrings has been my desktop wallpaper for a while now - love that hair!)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Inky said:
and this is why I still visit the Lounge - thank you Kitty for all the images and info - I love these earrings.

You're welcome! I had a lot of reservations about posting this lest everyone start searching for them (and I'll be honest, this is why I haven't shared the million search terms I use for them when hunting online lol). However, this is absolutely the richest vintage resource online and I think it's important to share this more obscure stuff so it doesn't become lost to the ages.

Do they only slip around the ear and you don't have to clip anything to the lobe?

Some of them have clips on the lobe (I think one of my pictures shows them, but they're hard to see), but most do not. With mine, I just have to squeeze them around my ear to make them snug.

I ask because while i love my 3/4 inch plugs and wouldn't change it, I do miss wearing "girlie" earrings - a pair or two like these could be lovely to wear.

Do you never take your plugs out? I guess it's harder with the larger gauges. I started wearing clip-ons when I had my ears gauged, but mine were nowhere near that large!

Inky

One Too Many
KittyT said:
Do you never take your plugs out? I guess it's harder with the larger gauges. I started wearing clip-ons when I had my ears gauged, but mine were nowhere near that large!

I never do take my plugs out and I do have a couple of pair of "bling" ones to wear when I feel particularly girlie but typically i wear a pair of ebony ones that are pretty understated for 3/4 of an inch ;)

I don't blame you for sharing your search terms either!

YesterdayGirl

One of the Regulars
Puzzicato said:
Do they tickle? They are really cute!

They are a bit tickly actually, they are quite bendy as opposed to being rigid, so they move as I move. i won them in a giveaway on someones blog. Lucky me ;)

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
Those are really cool (all of em')! I'll have to keep my eye out for these locally as well. They remind me of some modern cuff designs I have, though these here are a bit larger and more elaborate. I'm loving how they wind up the ear, like bouganvilla on a trellis. ;) :p

Inky

One Too Many
I found a pair of Avon wrap earring (dated 2002) to try and I am glad I didn't spring for vintage ones - my earlobes are too long!!

So these will be for sale shortly in the classifieds - they are pretty stars like Carmen's (but smaller) with a small dangling rhinestone.

4808953510_546063ae7b_b.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Inky said:
I found a pair of Avon wrap earring (dated 2002) to try and I am glad I didn't spring for vintage ones - my earlobes are too long!!

4808953510_546063ae7b_b.jpg

I actually have these same ones and they are the most common design I've seen. I've seen several pair for sale in various places.

I believe them to be Avon of Belleville (not Avon the cosmetics company) based on the "AVON" signature on the back. More on both marks at http://www.illusionjewels.com/costumejewelrymarksa.html.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy