Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

unconventional earrings?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Hey there ladies, while browsing around ebay, I found an unconventional set of ear decorations and now my curiosity is piqued! I've never seen anything like this and was unable to find any reference to this type of jewelry on the Interweb. They wrap around the ear, it seems. Does anyone have any photos of someone wearing something similar? Anyone familiar with this style and happen to know what time period it's from or how common it was? Thanks!

53052310_tp.jpg

53052365_tp.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss Brill said:
Those are so pretty, I've never seen anything like them. I had no idea they made them like that, I've seen modern ones that go around the ear, but I thought it was a new invention.

Do you know what they're called or know of any sites that sell the modern ones? I don't even know what words to use when searching!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Lady Day said:
They might be used to hold a vail or lace around the head in place. [huh] Can you post a pic of how they are worn?

Lady Day, I want to know too but can't find any pictures of how they're worn. The Ebay seller doesn't have any either.

Miss Brill said:
I think they are called ear hooks.

Yes, that's all I've seen. However, searching for "ear hooks" only pulls up results for French hooks for earrings.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Here's some more. Now these are a bit much I think! They cover the entire ear.. would look rather "beam me up" wouldn't they?!

“Honking” Large Clear Diamante Ear Cuffs

These earrings are unique! The are so large they fit over the entire ear and to do so they have a ear piece that hangs on the ear, plus a clip. They measure 2 ¬?‚Äù by 1 ¬?‚Äù. They are set in rhodium silver tone and the rhinestones are all magnificent! Wonder who produced these? They are really grand!

Order Number: # eccuff Price $75.00
http://www.icecricket.com/eccuff.html

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I recently came across 2 pair of these in an antique mall up in Vermont a few weeks ago. They were $4/pr so needless to say, I had to have them! I've sort of been on a binge lately researching and trying to acquire them, but gosh are they hard to find!

This design was popularized (though how popular it was, I don't know) by Marcel Boucher, a French jeweler who started working for Cartier in the 1920s. He started his own jewelry company in Manhattan in 1937 and continued designing and producing jewelry until his death in 1964. The company was left to his wife, Sandra, who ran it until 1972. His designs are known for their high quality, use of colorful stones, exquisite detail, and innovative three-dimensionality.

Everything I've found points to this particular style of earring being introduced around 1950.

patent.jpg

For those who were wondering previously, here are some ads I found that show how they were worn.
boucher1950.jpg

Boucher1950SwagEarWrap.jpg

kramer1951.jpg

Here are some that I've acquired recently -

avon_of_belleville.jpg

pp34990-3.jpg

My most recent acquisition! They are quite large and I can't wait to wear them. They are missing a couple of rhinestones, which I hope to replace in the near future. I found these for a whopping $1.04!
BwNsLbwBmkKGrHqRhQEv10CFL0BMH7ZiNub.jpg

There are 2 more pair that I'll post pictures of later.

Here are photos of some of the more exquisite ones I've found in my online searches -

Some stunning Marcel Boucher designs
boucher.jpg

boucher_1950.jpg

boucheremeralddiamondearwraps.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Puzzicato said:
Wow! They are really clever - you wouldn't get as much drag on your ear as a clip on!

They can be tricky. You have to bend them quite a bit to fit your ear and not stick out in funny ways, but they're pretty fun.

Here are some more designs -

I bid on these but alas, they went for $125!
063_1275695886.jpg

004491L.jpg

by Bogoff
bogoff.jpg

More Boucher-
boucher3.jpg

boucher2-1950.jpg

I believe these are also Boucher, but I'm not sure
maybeboucher.jpg

Weiss got in on the action too-
weiss.jpg

Alas, I would die for these-
starset.jpg

Reverse carved glass by Juliana
reversecarved.jpg

pp23959.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
More of my favorites

1_5650756f737910b7196d388f1263b547.jpg

1960s.jpg

1_b0c74abeae09643e3e7330735743243a.jpg

pearls.jpg

pp34990-2.jpg

Interesting, with a ceramic flower! These aren't being worn correctly btw
ceramicflower.jpg

Some of them are hinged -
hingedwrap.jpg

And some have clips on the bottom to secure them-
withclips1.jpg

withclips2.jpg

Uhhhh...
sterling.jpg

Octavia

Familiar Face
Wow, these are neat! How comfortable are they? Those huge pearl ones don't look too comfy, but the last ones with the wings - I think you could take flight with those. lol I'd love to snag a pair.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Octavia said:
Wow, these are neat! How comfortable are they? Those huge pearl ones don't look too comfy

They're pretty comfy once you manage to get them bent properly to your shape.

The pearl ones are apparently pretty light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner