Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Under Eye Circles

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
I'm one of the genetically unlucky when it comes to under eye circles. I think they are allergy related, as they get worse during allergy season. Until now, I've either ignored them or made do with drugstore concealer; now, I'm looking for a more powerful solution.

What are your favorite eye creams and under eye concealers?

sophia la shok

One of the Regulars
i generally make my own eye soothing cream that i leave on for 10-20 mins if i've had a late night or a weepy day. i tend to just use natural yogurt with mashed up cucumber in it. it does the trick, but only as long as the yogurt is straight from the fridge. and it's a pain if you do get it in your eye.

it's quite good for an all over face mask too. really takes any puffyness away.

as for concealer, Benefit's "you're bluffing" concealer is a favourite of mine. it's quite think and oil based so it's spreads well. although green cream that rimmel do is great too. and cheaper. as long as they still make it. haven't bought it for a year or so.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Physician's Formula yellow undereye concealer. I also use some white concealer at the inside corner of my eye and DHC eye cream to reduce puffiness.

I use acupressure points when I'm congested from allergies. I have more info at home if you're interested.

Kimberly

Practically Family
Preperation H is great for swelling under the eyes. You just have to know to put it on sparingly. :D . I just use a basic yellow tinged concealer for my cirlces which I too am prone to.

Emmababy

One of the Regulars
i use mac's concealer in NC20 which is too dark/yellow for my overall skin tone but i feel it gives me better coverage for my under eye circles

katiemakeup

Practically Family
It doesn't really matter what kind you use, you must have something that is PINK or PEACH to neutralize the blue/grey of discoloration in undereye circles... if you get something that is yellowish it will just add to the darkness. if you are not getting the desired look with these colors, try going a shade deeper- I know it sounds counter active, but try it. For example, I usually wear a MAC NW20 foundation, but sometimes use an NW25 concealer. Red cancels out green, orange cancels out blue... so you need WARM colors. Worry about concealing the discoloration, then you can brighten.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
I like the little tube of "Magic Eye Balm" from L'Occitane. I got it as a gift...Great stuff! A teeny drop goes a long way, so it's actually well worth the price. It's both a concealer and a treatment.

Description says:
A natural wonder. Reverses the dehydration that exaggerates fine lines, and diffuses the appearance of puffiness and dark circles with iridescent micro-particles for a brightening effect. With 5% Shea Butter to nourish and smooth, and a phyto-complex of calendula, ruscus and centella asiatica to help increase microcirculation. The balm is slightly tinted, to help conceal dark circles and even out skin tone.

http://usa.loccitane.com/product/product.asp?product=01BY015KA

sophia la shok

One of the Regulars
Emmababy said:
i use mac's concealer in NC20 which is too dark/yellow for my overall skin tone but i feel it gives me better coverage for my under eye circles

i like being someone's favourite!
especially when the someone is from so close to home.
yay for emmababy!
:D

berrybuzz

One of the Regulars
katiemakeup said:
It doesn't really matter what kind you use, you must have something that is PINK or PEACH to neutralize the blue/grey of discoloration in undereye circles... if you get something that is yellowish it will just add to the darkness.

Thank you! I will have to try this! I had given up a long time ago in trying to conceal the dark circles under my eyes...everything I had tried just made it worse.

I had read somewhere that dark circles under (and around) the eyes is a sign that you aren't breathing through your nose a lot. Which made sense in the fact that the people I know who have the worst circles all have nasal breathing problems (constant stuffiness, etc). Supposedly making a point to breathe through your nose instead of your mouth should help. I never made it work but then I'm not so good at making sure I breathe through my nose.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Is there a possibility that you could be anemic? I have anemia and it gave me pretty bad dark circles! I always know I need to start taking my iron daily again when the circles come back. If you think it's a possibility you should get a blood test!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I use a concealer by Stila that works great. It's one shade darker than my foundation, and it is peach in tone. But, I use it underneath, in the corners and on my lids. It blends in well with my all over foundation and lasts for a good amount of time.
For under eye cream I use Ahava, made in Israel from ingredients found in the dead sea. I thought it was all a scam, but it really works well. Worth every penny.
I too have heard of using preparation H for under eye bags, but have never tried it before. It does make perfectly good sense though.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
I have a mosaic compact & I use the lightest colors in it (white & pale beige) as a concealer. I apply it with an eyeshadow sponge & that allows me to add more without getting it in any lines.

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
I have terrible under eye darkness. I have had it most of my life, and I think it makes me look like a drug addict. I always look tired and strung out.

I use Dermablend. This stuff covers really, really well. Poke around the site, the stuff is impressive. My mom bought some because she has vitiligo and wanted to cover her pale patches. There is a trick to applying it, so if you are interested, read the "How to Apply" section. A little goes a long way, and I don't use it on the rest of my face, just under my eyes. My pot has lasted me YEARS. Like, maybe ....5 or 6?

I also don't bother with my circles on a daily basis. I hate my job, so why do I care what I look like when I go to work? :rolleyes: I only bother when I go somewhere with the hubby. It may not last as long if you use it every day, but you will certainly get your money's worth, that is for sure!

If I am a good girl and can stick to a routine, then I use two creams. One has vitamin K and the other has .... ummm ..... I can't remember. I read articles about eye circles and they suggested K, C, and some other vitamin. They really do help if I remember to put them both on twice a day. One is by St. Ives and one by Loreal, but I haven't seen either of them in a while. Mine are old and I probably should throw them out.

Getting rid of my eye circles is the one thing I would consider plastic surgery for if there was a way to get rid of them. Well, and fixing my horribly broken nose. I know how you feel. I hate my circles. They did get a bit better when I quit smoking a year ago, but they are still there.

I don't agree with the breathing thing, or the anemia thing. There isn't anything wrong with me. I breathe just fine and have been tested for a anemia a few times as part of standard bood panels.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I use the l'Oreal True Match concealers. Also, I highly recommend Joe Blasco concealers and neutralizers (I use the red neutralizer on my rosy cheeks).

You will have much better results if you use a small brush to apply concealer to blemishes and your undereye area. Not only does it prevent the concealer from going on too heavily and caking, it allows you to blend and also avoids the tugging that can happen when you use your fingers on the delicate eye area.

EDIT: I forgot to add, that using a light-reflecting cream base under your eyes helps a lot too. I use Sephora's Makeup Base Perfection and using it under my eyes helps reflect the light and brighten the under eye area!

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's a stumper: my puffy under-eyes are hereditary and so pronounced I don't even bother trying to cover up the dark purple circles, which never got covered up anyway boo-hoo, because of the remarkable puffs. Think of the eyes of Brian Jones or Josephine Baker. AND now that I'm over 40 they are covered in wrinkles. Cucumbers irritate them and don't work for me anyway. I'll try the Preparation H. Acquaintances remark that I must have a horrible allergy to something. Or I'll see how much surgery costs and eat baloney sangwiches.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
GoldLeaf said:
Getting rid of my eye circles is the one thing I would consider plastic surgery for if there was a way to get rid of them.

You may have little puffs of fat under your eyes (I do). I've read that plastic surgery can get rid of them. Maybe they could do that at the same time you have septoplasty (if you were to have that done).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk