Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Undershirts for the 30s-40s?

sola fide

One of the Regulars
Did men wear mostly tank top undershirts in the 30s-40s? Are "T"shirts a no no when wearing vintage clothing? Just wondering
Thank you
Michael

Last edited:

sola fide

One of the Regulars
Thank you for the links, but more interested in undershirts, not underwear. It seemed that men wore tank top undershirts, but this would be uncomfortable in warm weather, at least to me.

Edward

Bartender
'A' shirts in the 30s, 'T' shirts in the 40s, post war particularly. As a rough guide.

It may sound counter intuitive, but a cotton undershirt under a shirt/polo/w.h.y. makes life much more bearable in warm weather.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Thank you for the links, but more interested in undershirts, not underwear. It seemed that men wore tank top undershirts, but this would be uncomfortable in warm weather, at least to me.

Follow the links in the threads. I quickly found this from Darcy Shirt Co.

dsc_0129.jpg

And this from Schwanen.

21220174_1024x1024.jpg

sola fide

One of the Regulars
'A' shirts in the 30s, 'T' shirts in the 40s, post war particularly. As a rough guide.

It may sound counter intuitive, but a cotton undershirt under a shirt/polo/w.h.y. makes life much more bearable in warm weather.
Agree, tried without t shirt and it was uncomfortable, but with t-shirt a barrier was created that felt better. Thank you all for the responses

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff