Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Underwoods and other fun!

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
Good day gentlemen (and ladies for that matter!) ;) I was perusing a certain auction site a couple weeks ago and came up with a pretty nice find- an Underwood #6 in darn near perfect condition. It was only $19 on top of that. Now given the shipping was $21, but I think it was still worth it.

I just got done researching it on the web and found that this typewriter was produced in July of 1941. A perfect Golden Era find if ya ask me! It does arouse a few questions though. I have used typewriters before but they've all been from the late 60's on up. This a slightly different creature. It seems to have many bells, whistles, levers and buttons that I'm not quite sure the use of. Is there anywhere I might be able an old manual or even a repro manual for this model? I searched briefly on Google, but didn't turn up anything. The sites that do carry manuals for Underwoods seem to center on the #5 or models made prior to 1930 or so.

Also, the "a" key seems to stick occasionally in down position- thus catching the letters that are typed immediately following it. Is there a way to resolve this issue? Is it possible to use WD-40 to loosen it up a bit?

And I'd like to finish off with one last question. How many of you own vintage typewriters. Which models? Do ya still use them??

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I have an old Underwood as well. Ironically, I type the wrong letter more often on a computer keyboard than my old desk model. Luckily, I grew up using an old typewriter so I wasn't confused by the lack of a number 1 button. The lower case L is used in its place.
For your "a" problem; check to see if there is shmutz on the sides of the hammer or where it levers, also check to see if it is slightly bent. One thing I like about old type writers is they are simple. If I have problem I just follow it from the key, under the machine, to the spring and up to the hammers. You can usually figure out what went wrong.

The Wolf

I still grieve that I can't find a round eraser with a brush extending from the hub.

magneto

Practically Family
Count me in. Don't have one right now, but used a Royal manual typewriter through highschool and 2 years of college...{cough} in the 90s.

The Wolf said:
I still grieve that I can't find a round eraser with a brush extending from the hub.

Hi Wolf, Since you're in the SF Bay Area, have you checked Patrick's and Co. in SF to see if they have it? They have masses of old-time office supplies and are the nicest folks--the main store telephoned all over the place to track down a fountain pen part for me when they didn't have it in stock themselves.
Or see Ebay; I just looked and saw a couple, used, but eventually a nice one would turn up.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
thanks for the advice

I tried all sorts of shops in S.F. a while ago and was able to get a plain round wheel typewriter eraser without the attached brush. It even had that nice grit in with the rubber.
I'll have to check Patrick's next time I'm in the City.

Thank you,
The Wolf

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
I have an old upright Royal, which I don't use often, but whenever the power goes out and I can't use the computer, I go get. I don't have a manual, but really, they aren't that hard to use. Probably the only bit of lost information is that you type an apostrophe, then backspace and type a period, to create an exclamation point.

MissQueenie

Practically Family
My baby

I have an elderly L.C. Smith -- I'm trying to recall if it says "Corona" on it also, but I don't think it did. It's a beautiful old thing my mother gave me for Christmas back in high school, sort of out of the blue. When asked why on earth she chose something so odd (odd and perfect!), she just shrugged and said, "It just looked very *you*"-- good ol' mom!

It's pretty dirty as it's been sitting around collecting dust for a year or so, but I have high hopes of restoring the keys at least to a lovely gleam. Part of its charm is the light wear and tear, the patina it has developed over the decades, so I doubt I'll scrub it down too vigorously. I'm having a time getting into the striking bits to clean some of the grease and dust away to make the machine work more smoothly. Any tips?

Pictures to come! Thanks a million for the mytypewriter link! I can finally replace the ribbons on my machine!

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
Here's an update on my Underwood that suprises even me! I proudly have it displayed on the counter at my photography studio, which is in a mall so everyone can see it as they walk by. Today as I'm milling about in the lobby, cleaning and dusting, one of the local sheriff deputies that normally patrol the mall stopped in. He is a very shy quiet type, quite frail looking actually, not someone that you expect to see in public as a deputy. Kinda like Don Knotts. Anyway. He just kept eyeing my Underwood and after suffiently taking in all the details he offered me $150 for it! He said that he collects them and this is a model he has yet to get ahold of. Though I felt bad because I had dated this particular typewriter through a couple of places on the net and it was born in July of '41- he mentioned that it was a model from the late 20's. Now I don't know much of the Number 6's so it could have been a model that was started around that time, but not this one in particular. I only paid $40 for it with shipping so I'd stand to make some money on it. But I can't part with it. It's gorgeous and it's the pride and joy of my lobby. I type on it every other day or so, so it's not even there for decoration. The deputy said he'd give me a couple days to sit on it and think about it and he'd stop by Friday. I guess if anything I'll have someone to talk of vintage typewriters with! Nice enough guy, if he has the internet I'll introduce him to the fine world of the Fedora Lounge!;)

Michaelson

One Too Many
This is a craft that is ALSO slowly disappearing around our area, that being service folks who know how to work on this fine old machines. I have an ANCIENT portable...never seen one like it before, and it really needs a cleaning and adjusting, but the service folks who USED to be in our local town went out of business when Office Max opened up here. Once again a large company has run a locally owned and operated stationery store out of business, and 9 times out of 10, your local typewriter repairman was part and parcel of those mom and pop stores.:rage:

High regards! Michaelson

It's been hard to date my Underwood. My nearest estimate is 1927-29. Cost me $25 at a tag sale, but after a few months the roller started to crack and cost me over $100 to replace. I've written 3/4 of my novel on it now. Perhaps I'll get around to finishing it.

Regards,

Senator Jack

DSCF0041.jpg

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
Niiiiiice! Ya know what I'd like to find... Somewhere back in school I was told by one of my computer instructors that near the beginning of typewriter time there was another layout for the keys i.e.- the top row did not read qwerty. It was supposedly easier than the current format but it was too efficient and things would get jammed too easily. So consequently things were made tougher. I don't know if this was truthful or not, or if any of these typewriters are still in existance and for sale. Hehe then again if there are any for sale- I probably wouldn't be able to afford one on this paycheck!!:cheers1:

The pre qwerty typewriters are the ones that can fetch thousands. A good rule of thumb for yard sales is - if it doesn't look like a typewriter, buy it. From my research, it seems there are only a few qwerties that go for more than a hundred or two. I believe the green and blue art deco Royals are pricey but still not more than a thousand.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner