Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular movie opinions...

Edward

Bartender
In my view, the ending of 'Watchmen' the film was far superior to the squid. In fanboy circles that could have me ripped limb from limb. If we comic book geeks weren't such a weedy lot. lol

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Hey at least Sin City was better than The Spirit! ;)
Even the pressence of several lovely ladies couldn't help that disaster...

Edward, agreed, the squid would have been really, really silly in a live action movie...

HepKitty

One Too Many
Packin' Heat said:
I found 300 to be an equally obnoxious film QUOTE]

Thank you. I hated this movie, I know it was supposed to be cartoonesque but it was just wrong on so many levels. I'll not bother with Sin City either. You're right, violence should be incidental and not the whole plot

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
Packin' Heat said:
I thought it was pretty good. It doesn't meet the first one for me simply because Nicholson as an actor combined with the Joker as a character can't really be beat by by whatever else might succeed.

I agree with Keaton being a rather poor choice for Batman as well. I think Tim Burton just used him because of prior work with him.
Nicholson doing Nicholson. Not a lot of acting involved. Another reason I didn't like the '89 version of Batman. I did think Keaton was alright, but the rest of the movie put me off. The series just went downhill from there.

fwiw, I think Nicholson is a superb actor, when he doesn't just rely on his "crazy" schtick

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
John Wayne movies ... just cannot bear them. I find the characters he plays bland and repetitive. And I do actually love western movies.

Rock Hudson ... as a teenager I always crinched when he kissed a women in movies, it never felt right. *shudder*

Nicholas Cage, just a blank canvas ...

Roger Moore as James Bond:
He just come accross as very unlikely that he manages to even persuade one lady to follow him to his bed chambers, leave alone all the stunts! 'The Persuaders' suited him much better.

The early james bond movies, tacky and ridicilous display of women ( :eusa_doh: ). Quite enjoyable now with Daniel Craig.

Love actually, Notting Hill, Four weddings and a funeral (slept through this one 3 times!) just does not get me excited. There may be a little humour in it ... but generally I dislike the way romance is displayed in the above mentioned. But then I generally find romance movies bland.
Appart from "Dangerous Liaisons" :D

I'm sure more will spring to mind ....

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
There are actually very few - if any at all - movies from the black and white days, I like.
I find John Wayne tiresome and Humphrey Bogart just repeats himself.
Casablanca is nothing but a "womens magazine" shortstory on film.
Avatar, Lord of the Ring, Harry Potter and Starwars are a lot of booooooring nonsens.
And I hate musicals!!!!!!

(No thank you - I don't need a blindfold!)

Spitfire said:
There are actually very few - if any at all - movies from the black and white days, I like.
I find John Wayne tiresome and Humphrey Bogart just repeats himself.
Casablanca is nothing but a "womens magazine" shortstory on film.
Avatar, Lord of the Rings and Starwars are a lot of booooooring nonsens.
And I hate musicals!!!!!!

(No thank you - I don't need a blindfold!)

Musicals! I forgot to mention that I HATE musicals as well. There is never a good reason to break from acting and break out into song. :rolleyes: I could just imagine if real life were like that. :eusa_doh:

Dexter'sDame

One of the Regulars
Chasseur and I agree about The Aviator

I agree with Chasseur: I, too, liked DiCaprio in The Aviator Hughes was such a weird genius, casting the very weird Boy Wonder DiCaprio just seemed right.

Living in Los Angeles, most of the opinions stated below would probably get me run out of town:

Tom Cruise has always struck me as an arrogant snot whose eyes look soulless and almost evil.

If one more person in this town says George Clooney is the "modern Cary Grant", I may send the modern Bogie over to belt 'em one.

"Love Actually" was a mess that reminded me of watching a few Kay Jewelry commercials strung together.

Will Farrell, I don't find funny...with the exception of Elf, in which I found him charming, touching, and hilarious.

Ingrid Bergman...Really Rick? That's who you pined away for? [huh]

I adore Franchot Tone, though a lot of people don't even remember him.

(Edited for length!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Wheeler and Woolsey could be just as funny as the Marx Brothers -- both were very dependent on the quality of their material. "Diplomaniacs" is funnier than "Duck Soup."

I love musicals, but I think MGM musicals are overrated. Paramount, Fox, RKO and Warners all made better ones.

Dexter'sDame said:
If one more person in this town says George Clooney is the "modern Cary Grant", I may send the modern Bogie over to belt 'em one.

"Love Actually" was a mess that reminded me of watching a few Kay Jewelry commercials strung together.

Will Farrell, I don't find funny...with the exception of Elf, in which I found him charming, touching, and hilarious.

Ingrid Bergman...Really Rick? That's who you pined away for? [huh]

(Edited for length!)

Clooney the modern Cary Grant?! Riiiiggghhht. That is not to say that I like Cary Grant any better though. His roles always have him having fits about something or other. If I wanted to see that I could watch Floyd the Barber in the old Andy Griffith Show. Oooohhh! Ahhhh! :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

Dexter'sDame

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
Clooney the modern Cary Grant?! Riiiiggghhht. That is not to say that I like Cary Grant any better though. His roles always have him having fits about something or other. If I wanted to see that I could watch Floyd the Barber in the old Andy Griffith Show. Oooohhh! Ahhhh! :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

:eek:fftopic: jamespowers, let's just say that for me, Mr. Grant has a few additional qualities Floyd doesn't possess. ;) But, given my screenname, I'm obviously biased. (Dexter = C.K. Dexter Haven)

But seriously, one of the things I like about Cary Grant is that he was a good sport about looking foolish in his films, as long as it was funny.

Interesting analogy, though.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Dexter'sDame said:
Tom Cruise has always struck me as an arrogant snot whose eyes look soulless and almost evil.

Tom Cruise, A-lister? I wouldn't even have that one on my Z-list (and normally I groove on shorter gents). I think he's got less charisma than a pet rock, and roughly as much acting ability.

Franchot Tone is another matter. A hint of one of those cheeky grins of his and I go weak at the knees. lol Sadly underused as an actor, and Joan was a sap for letting that one go!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy