Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular music opinions

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
It's this record:

104185.jpg

It has "In The Navy" on it. lol
But I really like that song so I took it from him.

Rundquist

A-List Customer
Believe it or not, Disco and Swing do share a common bond. The people created both to help self-medicate. Both are happy-fun-time music created during times of disparity. Swing came about during the depression and continued right up until the end of WW2, and Disco came at the time of the end of the Vietnam War and a real division between the generations.

Both were meant to be communal experiences. (I dislike both for aesthetic reasons, but there’s no arguing the power of both when played in the correct setting.) Both music’s brought people together. People today don’t realize this, but the older generation was ever present in the disco halls along with their sons and daughters, just like with the swing era.

martinsantos

Practically Family
I think all popular music have appeal with people... As every time has its problems and drawbacks. And I really don't remember a music composed and played to be a solitary audition. I don't think this is something that just happened with swing and disco. What about charleston, ragtime, cakewalk, boogie-woogie, calypso, rhumba and so on? In the times of each dance there was some rupture - a crisis, a war, etc.

Music for people self-medicate? And why not? If well played... What counts is good music. If for dancing, listening or making you neighbourhood mad, this do not count.

(by the way, I really can't go with disco music. Think this just horrible. Just to remember make me to review my ol' Harry Reser records)

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
Yeah, well, I like these guys . Strap in and keep up.

[video=youtube;FaLc2PyKEG8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaLc2PyKEG8[/video]

Rundquist

A-List Customer
I think all popular music have appeal with people... As every time has its problems and drawbacks. And I really don't remember a music composed and played to be a solitary audition. I don't think this is something that just happened with swing and disco. What about charleston, ragtime, cakewalk, boogie-woogie, calypso, rhumba and so on? In the times of each dance there was some rupture - a crisis, a war, etc.

Music for people self-medicate? And why not? If well played... What counts is good music. If for dancing, listening or making you neighbourhood mad, this do not count.

(by the way, I really can't go with disco music. Think this just horrible. Just to remember make me to review my ol' Harry Reser records)

I didn't mean for the idea of "self-medicating" music to be negative. I just didn't care for my examples. Music is my religion.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, harmony was the correct term, I just remembered wrong. Perhaps those three things were just the elements of music, not the definition. I took that class a long time ago. For the most part I like music to be strong in all three, so maybe I was projecting there a bit.

I think it is reasonable to call those the elements of music. I tend to like music that is melodically, rhythmically, and harmonically interesting as well. Sorry that I got so worked up. Music is what I do, so I have a tendency to soapbox a little bit.

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
There's gold on youtube. It just takes a ton of time to find the circuitous vein and go dig it out. I like these folks too.

[video=youtube;lMmhwHl7fgs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMmhwHl7fgs[/video]

Rundquist

A-List Customer
There's gold on youtube. It just takes a ton of time to find the circuitous vein and go dig it out. I like these folks too.

[video=youtube;lMmhwHl7fgs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMmhwHl7fgs[/video]

Unfortunately with the way things are now, a lot of good music is not being recorded anymore. With the collapse of the record industry, it just doesn't pay to make a record these days unless you are one of the top selling music acts (for whatever that's worth). People believe that they should get their music for free now. You couldn't stop music piracy anyway with technology being where it's at. The movie studio's are projected to be bankrupt in ten years time if they don't deal with the situation. Video piracy is easier to defend than audio piracy.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Hey, nobody makes fun of you for your liking of 80 year old music played by white guys with tuba and banjo. :eusa_doh:
Tuba and banjo are fine. They're a happy nostalgic beer-drinkin' kinda sound. Tuba and guitar are what really strange people listen to. It's not nostalgic in the least - it's a repressed cultural memory from the deep depression years, when swing was grotesque and ungainly and didn't yet have a name.

Last edited:

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
I am just a crude, knuckle-dragging heathen, barely able to speak, let alone engage in the higher levels of musical analysis displayed in this thread, regularly self-medicating my ignorance into barely tolerable states of semi-human consciousness, .....but......

someone mentioned guitar and tuba?

Drink until this becomes the sublime. Best if you can't keep your eyes open.

[video=youtube;CldAGpal-P4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CldAGpal-P4[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany