Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular music opinions

MissMittens

One Too Many
I don't know.....

Is this art?

"I got the rap patrol on the gat patrol
Foes that wanna make sure my casket's closed
Rap critics they say he's "Money Cash Hoes"
I'm from the hood stupid, what type of facts is those" - Jay-Z

If he wrote

"I have people with guns who want to kill me,
Foes that wish to see me in a closed casket,
Critics that question my work as sterotypical,
But I'm truly from the housing projects, and have only experienced these things"

I'd have slightly more respect :p

S_M_Cumberworth

One of the Regulars
Technically, rap isn’t music by the definition, so I’ll agree with you there lol. It’s a musical art form. Music technically needs to be composed of three elements: melody, rhythm, and chords. Rap hardly ever employs all three at the same time.

I think you'd have a difficult time defending that claim. Even a relatively simple piece won't necessarily satisfy all of your criteria simultaneously. Take the C Major prelude from the first book of The Well-Tempered Clavier, for instance. Rhythm's there, certainly, but its chords are broken and it has no discernible melody. Also, how would you classify music consisting solely of unpitched percussion instruments?

It's too difficult to dismiss rap as being non-musical. In my mind, rap has much more musicality than the aforementioned 4'33", which seems to me to be performance art more than music.

Even then, 4'33" can be defended, as it isn't really about silence (as silence can't ever truly exist except in a vacuum), but about the incidental sounds occurring during the performance. In that sense, it becomes a sort of found sound composition.

Anyway, the point is, disparage rap all you want — I'm certainly not going to defend it — but your arguments need to be founded on something a bit less tenuous than its musicality.

eveready

Banned
If you think rap is bad, listen to this...."music"

Same here. I like Tears For Fears. No music makes me "mad." :D
On the other hand, here's something that may not make you angry, (I know there are exceptions...lol) but will drive you "mad" with repeated listenings......[video=youtube;LVf5Cr4M-F8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVf5Cr4M-F8[/video]

S_M_Cumberworth

One of the Regulars
On the other hand, here's something that may not make you angry, (I know there are exceptions...lol) but will drive you "mad" with repeated listenings......[video=youtube;LVf5Cr4M-F8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVf5Cr4M-F8[/video]

This predates 'Revolution 9' by a couple of years, and, in my opinion, it's much more difficult to get through:

[video=dailymotion;x90h1r]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x90h1r_steve-reich-it-s-gonna-rain-part-1_music[/video]

I've really never understood the draw of tape loops.

martinsantos

Practically Family
I didn't understand a single word of the original verses, I admit.

Anyway, we can call this "art". The trouble begins when we start discussing if representative, profund, etc, art. Or, ever, if "true" art, not only "arty verses".

I don't know.....

Is this art?

"I got the rap patrol on the gat patrol
Foes that wanna make sure my casket's closed
Rap critics they say he's "Money Cash Hoes"
I'm from the hood stupid, what type of facts is those" - Jay-Z

If he wrote

"I have people with guns who want to kill me,
Foes that wish to see me in a closed casket,
Critics that question my work as sterotypical,
But I'm truly from the housing projects, and have only experienced these things"

I'd have slightly more respect :p

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Rap is like Sanskrit to me -- a language I don't speak, and don't expect ever to speak -- but as far as its use of dialect is concerned, there's not a thing wrong with that. Paul Lawrence Dunbar wrote poetry in dialect a hundred years ago, and it was still poetry.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
This predates 'Revolution 9' by a couple of years, and, in my opinion, it's much more difficult to get through:

[video=dailymotion;x90h1r]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x90h1r_steve-reich-it-s-gonna-rain-part-1_music[/video]

I've really never understood the draw of tape loops.

While I don't like his music, I have to admit, I was actually influenced a bit by Reich, most specifically his article called "Music as a Gradual Process." That said, I am embarrassed when I look at the music I produced working from that paradigm. I am taking the semester of of composition to clear my system of process music, and to get more firmly rooted in the classical tradition, by focusing on my performing.

S_M_Cumberworth

One of the Regulars
While I don't like his music, I have to admit, I was actually influenced a bit by Reich, most specifically his article called "Music as a Gradual Process." That said, I am embarrassed when I look at the music I produced working from that paradigm. I am taking the semester of of composition to clear my system of process music, and to get more firmly rooted in the classical tradition, by focusing on my performing.

I don't have a problem with Reich's ideas. 'It's Gonna Rain' is obviously a precursor to all of his 'Phases', and I think that those works are pretty fascinating, if only intellectually. They're still rather boring musically.

To tie this all in to the theme of this thread: I've given a few Minimalists a chance, but I've always hated Philip Glass.

Rundquist

A-List Customer
I think you'd have a difficult time defending that claim. Even a relatively simple piece won't necessarily satisfy all of your criteria simultaneously. Take the C Major prelude from the first book of The Well-Tempered Clavier, for instance. Rhythm's there, certainly, but its chords are broken and it has no discernible melody. Also, how would you classify music consisting solely of unpitched percussion instruments?

It's too difficult to dismiss rap as being non-musical. In my mind, rap has much more musicality than the aforementioned 4'33", which seems to me to be performance art more than music.

Even then, 4'33" can be defended, as it isn't really about silence (as silence can't ever truly exist except in a vacuum), but about the incidental sounds occurring during the performance. In that sense, it becomes a sort of found sound composition.

Anyway, the point is, disparage rap all you want — I'm certainly not going to defend it — but your arguments need to be founded on something a bit less tenuous than its musicality.

I was just categorizing rap by the definition of music as it was taught to me in a music appreciation class. Music by definition is composed of the three elements that I mentioned. If rap music is missing an element, I surmised that it is not “music” by definition, but a musical art form. I don’t really care either way. We can call it music. I don’t have any emotional investment in it either way.

I wouldn’t denigrate it just because I don’t like it. That’s why I mentioned that the original rappers were artists and believed in it. I do have a lack of respect for it today simply because I don’t think much thought goes into it. In that way rap is no different from most other forms of modern music though. I don’t have anything against music because it’s modern, just not being good.

Rundquist

A-List Customer
With regards to Revolution #9, I think most of you guys have put more thought into it than Lennon did. It was originally just an indulgent exercise meant to get under the skin of the establishment (perhaps). It appears that Lennon did a good job as the topic keeps being revisited.

Rundquist

A-List Customer
[video=youtube;eLcx4VCkJH0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLcx4VCkJH0[/video]Here's an unpopular opinion........I like 70's singer/songwriters.:D

Gordon Lightfoot is a highly respected songwriter. He'll be in the books.

The only problem with the 70’s singer/songwriters (many of which were good) is that it opened the floodgates of performers that had no business writing songs to write songs. Unfortunately we’ve been there ever since.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael