Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

unwearable jacket, ideas please?

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
Hi and thanks. Are you Thedi leathers? I have this morning emailed Aero to see if they can help. Appreciate your upfront reply and I get your reasoning.
Hi Mark, no we are not Thedi, I work with Aero. We would not want to take this work on but once you have posted some pics I can maybe suggest a plan but you would need to find someone to do it. A feature that may cause issues are the button holes. The Top button hole will likely restrict access to the collar area.

Mark

Practically Family
Hi Mark, no we are not Thedi, I work with Aero. We would not want to take this work on but once you have posted some pics I can maybe suggest a plan but you would need to find someone to do it. A feature that may cause issues are the button holes. The Top button hole will likely restrict access to the collar area.
Thanks I intend post some pics tomorrow. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Hi and thanks. That looks great. BK has had the jacket already. Put on a pointed collar but it looked rushed and awful. I also had an issue with the exposed lined facings. These were redone couple times and now look worse than the original. I need to post pics to show what I mean. Thanks again.
I think I know what you're talking about.

As others have said, it's best to move the jacket on.

Like home renovations, nothing is impossible, just how much time and effort and money. I don't think BK took apart the jacket and rebuilt it from ground up and that's why it looked rush and awful to you. The inside facing would need to be changed and then there is the button holes issue, which to my amateur mindset can only be remedied by swapping the two front panels of the jacket, which is 1/3 of the jacket.

It does sound like the jacket is still in sell able condition as is right now, I would echo what others say and move the jacket on.

Mark

Practically Family
I think I know what you're talking about.

As others have said, it's best to move the jacket on.

Like home renovations, nothing is impossible, just how much time and effort and money. I don't think BK took apart the jacket and rebuilt it from ground up and that's why it looked rush and awful to you. The inside facing would need to be changed and then there is the button holes issue, which to my amateur mindset can only be remedied by swapping the two front panels of the jacket, which is 1/3 of the jacket.

It does sound like the jacket is still in sell able condition as is right now, I would echo what others say and move the jacket on.
Thanks for that. I will post some pics tomorrow. I personally would not buy the jacket as is. I doubt anyone would buy unless it was going super cheap!

Wow Mark. I’m actually a bit nervous to see it. It definitely stinks when plans go awry, but someone here will have the way ahead for you.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
if matching the leather for the new collar would be difficult since only BK know the source then if remodeling the old one is already being done several time and I bet it's getting smaller and weirder shaped, your only option is make it into collarless jacket use the remaining leather to cover over a piping, or replace the collar with knits perhaps. collarless jacket is cool look imo looks great worn with turtleneck or with another collared jacket as mid layer

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Or you could do the collar in a contrasting color.
I think the "less costly" way to make a coherent look with contrasting collar but without replacing the sleeve cuff and pocket trim and waist strap is just replacing the collar but also replace all the buttons in the same color as the collar, then the cuff and straps can be in their original color

Mark

Practically Family
Thanks for all your suggestions regarding the collar. Way more response than I expected! Here (hopefully) are some pics of the jacket/collar. The biggest problem regarding reshapping/replacing the collar is the neck opening, it is larger than a coventional opening. Also note the top button and button hole have been removed and filled in. and the collar no lomger lines up with the jacket body DSCF0876.JPG DSCF0877.JPG DSCF0880.JPG DSCF0878.JPG DSCF0875.JPG Anyway here they are......

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for all your suggestions regarding the collar. Way more response than I expected! Here (hopefully) are some pics of the jacket/collar. The biggest problem regarding reshapping/replacing the collar is the neck opening, it is larger than a coventional opening. Also note the top button and button hole have been removed and filled in. and the collar no lomger lines up with the jacket body View attachment 501434 View attachment 501435 View attachment 501436 View attachment 501437 View attachment 501438 Anyway here they are......
Overall I think they did a really nice job, alterations like this aren't easy. But they shouldn't have removed the top button / hole. If you install a different collar you'd have to reinstate that buttonhole, which I doubt can be done neatly.

I think the best option here is to install a big shearling removable shawl collar, attached with buttons:

8E49D0AE-3B7F-4869-8ADA-6453BDF19A84.jpeg
0CB0ABB4-CD3F-45C2-A2D4-0901C1ACD381.jpeg

Mark

Practically Family
Overall I think they did a really nice job, alterations like this aren't easy. But they shouldn't have removed the top button / hole. If you install a different collar you'd have to reinstate that buttonhole, which I doubt can be done neatly.

I think the best option here is to install a big shearling removable shawl collar, attached with buttons:

View attachment 501445 View attachment 501446
Yes agree a shearling or mouton collar would work. Trouble is finding some one who can do it.
I like yours, looks good.
Thanks

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for all your suggestions regarding the collar. Way more response than I expected! Here (hopefully) are some pics of the jacket/collar. The biggest problem regarding reshapping/replacing the collar is the neck opening, it is larger than a coventional opening. Also note the top button and button hole have been removed and filled in. and the collar no lomger lines up with the jacket body View attachment 501434 View attachment 501435 View attachment 501436 View attachment 501437 View attachment 501438 Anyway here they are......
It looks like you narrowed the shawl collar by an inch or so, slimming it down. Looks okay. Maybe you just don't like shawl collars. This should be sellable, you'd take a hit, sure, but better than throwing good money after bad.

Mark

Practically Family
It looks like you narrowed the shawl collar by an inch or so, slimming it down. Looks okay. Maybe you just don't like shawl collars. This should be sellable, you'd take a hit, sure, but better than throwing good money after bad.
If all else fails I will try ebaying it...with some reluctance! Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ