Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Army uniform question

Hondo

One Too Many
Basically the WWI uniforms were of the same style/type except for insignias on tunic coats. (I have my great grandfathers uniform, tunic, minis the lapel insignias, was second Lt. in AA) Officers wore brown calvary boots while enlisted men wore leggings, I’ve seen old news reels on soldiers and officers of world war I and they do all look the same. Sorry I can’t help you for more info.

indieflmkr

Familiar Face
Vladimir Berkov said:
Does anybody know how long after WWI that pattern of US Army uniform lasted? And was it the same for enlisted ranks as for officers?

I do not remember exactly when the change took place, but it was sometime in the 1920's and it was sort of gradual, with styles that were mixtures of the WWI style and the WWII styles.

As far as differences, yes, although most of the differences were quite subtle - Officer's uniforms are generally made of better, more expensive materials, the buttons are usually fancier and of higher quality and as with most Officer's uniforms, most of them were privately purchased and tailored.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Hondo said:
Basically the WWI uniforms were of the same style/type except for insignias on tunic coats. (I have my great grandfathers uniform, tunic, minis the lapel insignias, was second Lt. in AA) Officers wore brown calvary boots while enlisted men wore leggings, I’ve seen old news reels on soldiers and officers of world war I and they do all look the same. Sorry I can’t help you for more info.

'Sweeting'?

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy