Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Authentic A-2 fit

kasa7

Familiar Face
I think the secret lies in the upper sleeve circumference. I measure only 8 inches on the size 36 A-2, what is it on your size 38 A-2?
Measured like this:
View attachment 40252

That's why I also wonder how baggy the sleeves were on the original war-era jackets of same size, since if it is the same then they probably had the same limitations- which at least means it's a historical fit even if not ideal.
My 42R has 8'' too

Colonel Adam

Familiar Face
One must remember that fashions in the past were different than today, and figures were too. Young men back in the '40s were slimmer, and their shoulders and hips were closer to the same width than today. Today, young men are larger, fatter (no offense) and broader shouldered.
Back then, shirts and jackets were worn snugger, and their trousers baggier. The A2 flyer jacket fit the fashion of the time but it was also a work jacket (something I think a lot of us today don't consider). Because of this, a highly-accurate A2 designed to be just like the originals does not fit the same way we're used to. The upper back is a little snug, because our shoulders and backs are typically broader today, but the lower back is fuller. The waist is sometimes shorter because they wore their trousers considerably higher than young men today. The arms are fairly long so a pilot (or other aircrew), strapped into his seat, can extend his arms all the way forward without the cuffs riding-up his forearms, and the shoulder seams are made to be worn high, unlike today where we wear the shoulder seams halfway down the upper arm. And finally, what you've all been waiting for, the sleeves fit very snug around the arms so that excess material doesn't get caught on things in the close confines of a cockpit--this is especially important for tail and ball-turret gunners, where getting a baggy sleeve caught in something could mean death!
The most accurate and correctly-fitting (like the old ones I mean) A2 jacket I've ever found today is made by a company named Noble House ULM, in Germany.
Hope this helps.

Colonel Adam

Familiar Face
There was recently a thread on this, but I wanted to re-attack the topic.

In searching this board, US Authentic has a rep for being a trim, "WW2" fit. However, a handful of posts have come up saying that their US-A jackets are a fuller fit, and they would have sized down.

My own experience:

I started with a size 36. The measurements seemed right all around, and it looked good. Yet, there was something about the cut/pattern that made it tightly constricting around my upper arms when moving them forward. Difficult to drive or tie my shoes. I could never figure it out, because the chest and shoulder measurements seemed like they should work. I've owned smaller jackets that were fine.

Went with a 38. Jacket measures 22" across for a 44" circumference. So, I would say kind of big for a 38. At least not a "wartime" cut. But the upper arms feel about like a 36 should. I had the body trimmed down so it's not so blousy.

I don't know enough about the finer points of a pattern to know why this would be. Perhaps the pattern itself is odd?

Given this, does this mean they fit slim, or full? Technically, i suppose both slim (to the point of constricting), while also full?
The '40s period A2s did have snug-fitting sleeves so excess material wouldn't get caught in things inside the narrow confines of a cockpit or ball-turret, leaving you trapped in a burning aircraft hurling toward the ground at 400 MPH!

Mad Hatter

New in Town
11.JPG
A-2's were mass produced and issued for wartime use, and the original intent was not a fashion statement. I'm sure some Romeos had their A-2's tailored along with every other item of uniform, but they were primarily for protection such as it was in open cockpit aircraft. I've owned a Lambskin A-2 by Flight Suits, still velvet soft A-2 custom made for me by them decades ago and it is still in perfect condition. I had a small accident with mine and all I had to do was mail it to them and they repaired it at no charge. I've found that almost all WW2 US equipment varied widely with so many different manufacturers producing them. In a wartime context it is almost impossible to get it wrong.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
The '40s period A2s did have snug-fitting sleeves so excess material wouldn't get caught in things inside the narrow confines of a cockpit or ball-turret, leaving you trapped in a burning aircraft hurling toward the ground at 400 MPH!

As this is a form follows function design, I guess most will be happy with the modern fit of A-2's. Seeing as how few (if any) of us will find the need to extricate ourselves from flaming wreckage headed downhill like a runaway freight train.

Cocker

Practically Family
Agreed, the fit is great! Not too tight, not too baggy, just what you'd expect of a jacket issued by a quartermaster. Bang on!

Colonel Adam

Familiar Face
View attachment 67850 A-2's were mass produced and issued for wartime use, and the original intent was not a fashion statement. I'm sure some Romeos had their A-2's tailored along with every other item of uniform, but they were primarily for protection such as it was in open cockpit aircraft. I've owned a Lambskin A-2 by Flight Suits, still velvet soft A-2 custom made for me by them decades ago and it is still in perfect condition. I had a small accident with mine and all I had to do was mail it to them and they repaired it at no charge. I've found that almost all WW2 US equipment varied widely with so many different manufacturers producing them. In a wartime context it is almost impossible to get it wrong.
I never said the original intent was as a fashion statement--please don't miss-quote me. What I meant was, perhaps some are complaining about the fit of their A2s because they expect them to fit the way we wear our clothes today, as apposed to the way they wore their clothes in the past. You may have already known all of this, but perhaps there are some out there who didn't know; and it was intended for them.

Mad Hatter

New in Town
I"m not sure the fit of 40's jackets is really all that different unlike trousers which were higher waisted and IMHO looked better. I recently got a WWII AAF Officer's jacket that fits me perfectly with no alterations required. I had a very difficult time in finding an answer as to how 40's sizing translates to modern sizing. In my limited experience, I've found they are the same. at least for men. Women's sizes are all over the map.

As Far as the fit of an A-2 I don't think the fit is really any different then than now. Having said that, quality shows. If someone buys a cheap A-2 knock off, the look and fit will not be as good as a genuine A-2 or modern high end one. Personally I like mine to be comfortable and allow me the freedom of movement in the cockpit.

17 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran